Fifth Third / rip off

1 Gull RdKalamazoo, MI, United States Review updated:

I closed my Fifth Third account today. I'm sticking with a credit union now. They only charge a $20 fee and thats it. I can say that I'm not the greatest at balancing my check book but these fee's are outrageous! I can understand a one time fee of x amount of dollars for being over. It would seem like you wouldn't be able to use your debit card if your in a negative balance though. I'm a World of Warcraft gamer. I canceled my account for a little while and started it back up. Before all this my phone company decided to charge me a week a early and I wasn't aware of it. So I was thinking I had about $60 to spend. I paid the $15 for the month Warcraft fee. That ended up being a $33 fee. Warcraft also charged me a $1 fee separately to check my account or something like that. Which ended up being another $33 fee. I didn't realize all of this until about 10 days after the situation. Then to top it all off they charged me $6 a day fee until the negative balance was paid off. So that ended up being a $60 dollar fee. So I ended up paying $126 worth of fees for being about $10 over...

Seems like there should be some law against this. Isn't there a law against credit card companies for charging too much interest? Fee's are about the same as interest just paid in a different way.

I'm going with consumers credit union now. From what I heard and seen it seems like a decent place to store your cash. Any comments would be appreciated.

Va

Comments

• Co
      26th of Oct, 2008

You should try to contact the phone company. If they billed you a week early, it's their fault and they caused you the overdraft fees. Let them know what happened as a result of their clerical error, and see if they will credit your account. It's not really the bank's fault, you should be mad at your phone company, not the bank.

• De
      14th of Nov, 2008

It is always the banks fault so they say. You should keep better records and understand the charges on your account when you open it up. It appears that the phone company was in error not the bank. I believe the phone company needs to reimburse you the overdraft fees

• Mi
      19th of Mar, 2009

53 bank is such a rip off. I hate the tellers and the mgrs they are all liars. They are rude, nasty liars. And the customers are wrong. Especially when they are tring to steal your money and justify it and then say they are sorry. Well they can just save their apologies and their lies.. They hold your money, all these pending transactions for days, if the money is there clear it. Cash a check oh don't do that you can only get $100.00. And the rest we have to wait for it to clear. I know when i get paid i need to pay my bills.. They got me good. I'm closing my account and i want to hang them...

• Cl
      31st of Aug, 2009

Never the banks Fault "Ya Right" Charging that amount of money for overdrafts +++.
    Modern day Theft... Fight back and if you two jokers above post on my blog I will delete you.

I am looking to start a class action law suit but need your story http://closeyourbankaccount.blogspot.com/