Fedex / fedex employs thieves

1 LA, United States Review updated:

This is my letter of complaint to FedEx:

On June 30th, 2009, my fiancé sent a package through your (FedEx) service containing a 14K, three-stone diamond engagement ring and two lipsticks from Montreal, QC. The package was picked up from Anjou, QC, brought to Mirabel, QC, where it arrived at your Memphis, TN, facility. After a two day clearance delay in Memphis, I received the package in Kenner, LA, on Friday, July 3rd, 2009, at 8:42 a.m.

When I opened package, the ring was not in the package, but the two lipsticks were. I immediately contacted FedEx about my missing ring. I was put in contact with a FedEx customer relations representative who began a search for my missing ring.

Since it was a holiday weekend, I did not receive any updates about the status of my missing ring until Monday, July 6th, 2009. As 5:00 p.m. EST, I was told by the FedEx representative that my ring could not be located and gave me the option of beginning the claim process. I was reluctant to stop searching for the ring, so I left that decision up to my fiancé, since he is the one who bought and shipped the ring. My fiancé told FedEx that he would like your organization to search a little while longer for the ring.

After searching the rest of that week, FedEx told my fiancé that the ring could not be located and was offered to begin the claim process. My fiancé started the claim process on Tuesday, July 14th, 2009 and concluded the claim process on Thursday, July 16th, 2009.

My fiancé insured the package for $500. Although the ring’s actual worth was more than $500, my fiancé was told that this was the maximum amount the package could be insured for. My fiancé received a check on Friday, July 24th, 2009 for $564.00, the $500 insurance amount plus the shipping costs.

The official story is that your organization “lost” my ring, but obviously, FedEx employs people that are thieves, and one of your larcenous employees stole the ring since it was the only item that was missing from the package. And, because of your predatory insurance and claim policies, my fiancé lost a great deal of money by not receiving the full amount of the ring that your organization stole from the both of us.
After this entire experience, I have to say that I feel doubly victimized by FedEx. Not only was our merchandise (the ring) stolen from us but we were also cheated out of our money by only receiving a small portion of the ring’s worth.

Receiving an engagement ring is a dream for many women. Unfortunately, your organization has destroyed that dream for me. I have included a picture of the ring that your organization has stolen from me and my fiancé.

Needless to say, I will not be using FedEx ever again and will actively try to avoid ordering from companies that use your delivery service. I am more than aware, however, that this letter will have no effect on my personal situation or FedEx’s business practices. No, I felt compelled to write this letter for my personal peace of mind. I needed to get my feelings of anger and disappointment with your organization off my chest not to elicit a response or action but to help me get closure from this awful experience.

Comments

• Ds
      20th of Jan, 2010

When shipping valuables, it is crucial to use tamper evident tape to avoid these situations. You never mentioned how the package arrived; was it damaged, resealed, torn? I highly doubt that someone would open your package, reseal it, and send it on its way.

• Be
      22nd of Jan, 2010

It happened to me with a $7, 000 diamond ring, F-VS1 1.02ct.
    I've ordered it online in NY.
    FedEx had to deliver it to Belgium.
    When the package arrived, I noticed a lot of tape.
    First I thought it was because of the customs.
    When I opened the box, I found the certificate and all the paperwork, but no ring.
    Luckily, the seller did file a claim and FedEx did reimburse.
    A very shocking experience.