Farmers Insurance / Renters insurance is a rip off!

I purchased renters Insurance in the month of April for the new place I moved to. I was asked how much insurance did I need. I told the gal that I had a lot of things, I needed about $75,000 and she told me it would cost about $30 a month, so I say sign me up. She faxed the papers and I signed them. She never asked me about a rider for anything.

NOW May 21, 2007, my apt was broken into and they took all my cash ($2000), savings bonds ($600) and ALL of my jewelry (appx. $5000).

The adjuster tells me that I can only get $100 for the cash, $500 for the bonds and $500 for my jewelry! With a $500 deductible that gives me $600 for my loss. Oh, and what about the bed I am suppose to sleep in the did something to that and not sure if it is covered that it doesn't sleep me very good.

I feel that the agents office is at fault and I should be about to get more of my loss covered since I was not told about riders. Please help me, I have none of my grandparents jewelry, my HighSchool & college memories are gone with my rings and I have nothing from my past to pass on to my granddaughter. Please help, I want to try to get my things back!

Comments

• Mj
      30th of Jul, 2011

And you actually thought they were there to help? Think about it. Pay for how many kinds of insurance for 30 - 40 years, rack up maybe 10k in claims in that time, many never claim at all. Now multiply all those years of monthly premiums by however many people are insured, Probably as many as 150 million? Makes for a pretty nice nest egg wouldn't you say. Take all the money, give back little or nothing. And they hate the oil companies. At least with oil you get to see, and use a product.