Europcar / fraudulent charges
I rented a car from Europcar at Heathrow when I was in UK recently for my mother's funeral. I had prepaid using a voucher from AutoEurope. The price was very reasonable (CAD$178 for seven days rental).
I returned the car and it was checked in by the Europcar agent who said everything was fine and there were no extra charges. However when I looked at my Visa statement on my return to Canada I discovered a charge of GBP496.92.
Apart from the usual surcharges hidden in the small print (Premium station surcharge etc.) and an exorbitant charge for fuel (which I knew they would charge) there was a a charge of GBP350 listed as "other surcharges".
Europcar (UK) did not respond to my e-mails but when I phoned them and spoke to an agent he informed me that it was for a scratch on the rear of the car. There was no scratch on the car - indeed the check-in agent had accepted the car as in perfect condition.
It seems to me that this is simply a scam - no doubt played upon overseas users who declined the collision damage waiver.
I am currently contesting the charge with Visa, but am not sure what they will be able to do about it.
Have other people been scammed in this outrageous way, I wonder?
More Europcar Complaints & Reviews
- Europcar - fraud and cheating! 
- Europcar - europcar "serenity pack" scam 
- Europcar - worthless insurance cdw
- Europcar Spain - overcharging - swindle! 
- Europcar - damage surcharge 
- Europcar International - car hire dublin airport - baby car seats
- Europcar International - 5 waiting hours to deliver car reservation on time
- Europcar International - rental car
- Europcar International - not full tank!
- Europcar International - lack of damage report and repair estimate