[Resolved] Empire Carpet / Bait and switch, terrible service and products quality!

I was interested in replacing all of the carpeting on the second level of my home. I had an Empire salesman visit my home to show me some samples. I selected a rather expensive carpet and arranged for installation. I spent an entire day removing furniture, clearing out walk-in closets, etc. in preparation for installation. The day of the scheduled install, a representative from the company called to say that the carpet I selected was not immediately available, but another carpet of even higher quality in a similar color was available. I hesitantly agreed, though my instincts told me that something was amiss. Fortunately, I was home when the carpet arrived. It turned out to be a terrible excuse for carpeting and nothing even remotely similar to what I had selected. I did not accept delivery and went with another company, though it took a considerable amount of time to get my deposit refunded to me.

Upon further investigation of the company, I discovered that this seems to be their MO. The salesmen work on commission and as such, the idea is to get the consumer to pay top dollar for a low cost product - it appears they "bait" the consumer with a seemingly high-quality product and then, once the consumer has gone through significant effort to accommodate installation, they "switch" to an inferior product with the expectation that the consumer will accept it rather than start from scratch.

If anyone has had a similar experience, you local consumer affairs agency should be contacted, since Empire spends a considerable amount of money on advertising and they should be investigated for fraudulent practices and misrepresentation.

Resolution statement

Empire Today Customer Care's Response, Aug 01, 2012
We're disappointed that you have not been satisfied with your experience. We'd like to speak to you to learn more about your concerns and work towards a resolution. Please call us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or email us at customersupport@empiretoday.com. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

N  21st of Dec, 2006 by
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and are currently researching this matter. Unfortunately we do not have any information regarding your account with empire-Today. We would like to speak with you to apologize and try to bring closure tho this matter. Please contact one of our Resolution Specialist at 800-588-2300 or you can reply to the email that is shown and one of our representatives will gladly assist you. Have a great day!
A  3rd of Jan, 2007 by
The salesman at empire told me the carpet I was buying was a nylon berber. Ended up being olefin. Worst carpet. The guys that installed the carpet got it dirty during installation and had the nerve to give me the number to have it cleaned. Had many issues with the credit they give out. Was approved day before for credit and then when the installers came and had to verify my credit empire did not know what was going on. Turned out nobody told me I had to call to " activate it" All the while I waited over an hour with the installers in my house waiting for empire to give them the approval to do my carpet. They didn't end up finishing the job until 9:30 pm and it was unsatisfactory.
A  19th of Jan, 2007 by
Carpet I chose was an expensive berber. Carpet that was installed appeared to be the same color and design, but the lack of quality showed when, after 4 months or so of little to no use, the carpet started looking worn. Having requested Empire bring the original sample with them after a mucked up quick fix on 2 thresholds, I noticed that what they brought did not seem to be what was put on the floor. Empire tried to imply that my cat did some damage {never does}, and customer rep we spoke to was rude and all for blaming the customer. When we called back in 2 days he was no longer with the company. They have since sent an 'independent' carpet inspector, but it did not sound like he was used to finding for the customer. We would like the price adjusted or the carpet removed at this point. What to do? Bill or Dot Luckey 860-429-4885
A  17th of Feb, 2007 by
On August 21 and 22 Empire crew removed carpet and tile,and replaced carpet and tile the tile is uneven the carpet is Berber but it seem to b a fake Barber it is unrevealing in places ,when my wife run the vacuum it comes a lose.

JIMMY ROLLINS 817 496 1946
A  24th of Feb, 2007 by
My husband and I had an appointment for an EMPIRE consultant regarding the carpet and hardwood floor replacement in our home. We were told by EMPIRE that all 'decision makers,' had to be present at time of consultation, therefore I took the day off of work. My husband and I were given by EMPIRE a 9-11am window. The consultant never showed. He telephoned us twice saying he would be an hour late, then twenty minutes late, and so on.We phoned the EMPIRE call center three times concerning the appointment status resulting in more excuses and delays, however we were told the consultant would still arrive. Finally at 3pm the EMPIRE call center representative informed us that she was unable to get in touch with the consultant, and wanted us to reschedule for another day. We were furious! The call center representative offered $100.00 off of our future purchase for any inconvenience. WHAT FUTURE PURCHASE? $100 does not compensate for my lost day's pay and for our patience. We live in a large condo building in Chicago in which my husband is a member of the association board for the building. He originally was going to have EMPIRE replace all the carpeting in the building. Thank goodness we found out now about EMPIRE. I cannot believe they have stayed in business so long treating customers in this manner. Unfortunately for EMPIRE I have many friends and the gift of 'GAB.' I will gab to anyone and everyone about EMPIRE carpet. I am interested to see if the president of EMPIRE spends much time reading The Chicago Tribune, The Chicago Sun Times and surfing the web. Thank you to all that took the time to listen.
N  26th of Feb, 2007 by
We have been in contact with Mr. Rollins and have apologized to him for the inconvenience. Our Eastern Region Customer Service manager have worked with Mr. Rollins as well. We will submit the complaint to him and he will contact Mr. Rollins within the next 24 hours.
A  10th of Apr, 2007 by
I supposedly bought the "best" grade of carpeting. I'd hate to see the "bargain" grade. After it was installed, there was so much new carpet "fluff" and loose fibers, it destroyed the motor on a brand new vacuum. Approximately 6 mo. later, there are spots that look worn, there are indentations where there shouldn't be--it just looks cheap. My husband calls it our "plastic" carpeting. The alarms should've gone off when I was told they didn't sell 8lb. padding. I was never given a carpet warranty from the carpet manufacturer until I asked, and then I received information that is vague, at best. We needed carpeting in a hurry, and really paid the price--literally. Avoid this company at all costs!
A  28th of Jul, 2007 by
Thank you so very much for your posting. I was about to leave Empire a e-mail message to call me,and it would not go threw. Thank Goodness. I came to this site by accident ,and so glad I did. We will be closing on our home in August,I wanted new carpet in 3 rooms, because pre owner have a dog. My health will not allow this. After listening to the kindly gentleman on the tv ads. you would think that is a voice you could trust. And a trusting company word of mouth is very important to me. Not greedy salesmen that will lie to make a sale. Been there , Done that, wrote the book. Shame on you Empire. Proverb 6, 17. Do better.
A  30th of Jul, 2007 by
Glad I found this site. We need new carpets and I remembered the Empire commercials. Now I will avoid them.
N  8th of Aug, 2007 by
I am so glad i came across this site. I googled empire carpet to get to thier site and this was the 3rd site on the results list and it caught my eye. I was going to call them to have my room recarpeted, but after reading about all of the trouble the people on this page have gone through with empire, I am not even gonna try!! For those who have been scammed by empire I feel for you and for the people who made this site THANKS :)
A  18th of Sep, 2007 by
Wow! I just went online to look up Empire. I was gonna have my parents house re-carpeted for them. I thought, it would be great that I don't have to drag them out to the carpet store! Businesses cannot afford to have lousy customer service, employees, or try to pull off cheap carpet! We the Customers, have done our research. We the Customers, will stand together! We the Customers, will take you down! I was prepared to buy carpet 10 minutes ago. Now, thanks to the beauty of the internet & this SITE I will visit my local carpet store.
We all want to save a few dollars these days, we all want convience! Let's ignore businesses like Empire Carpet! We the customers, will stand together, and put an end to bad service. Visit your local small businesses. THose are the people that deserve our money. Their kids go to our kids schools. They support our communities. They will do whatever it takes to stand behind their word!
We the Customers take stand!
A  25th of Sep, 2007 by
My mother not telling me she was getting a shower liner used Empire and what a nightmare. She is a widow, on her own and wanted to upgrade her upstairs bathroom. Well, the salesman sold her a shower liner and window kit and said it would match up with her other tile and the window kit would work. None of it matched up, the window kit didn't work and the installer called the salesman an idiot for selling her the liner and window kit. It has been a month since the install and they scheduled 4 appointments to come out and look at it and never showed. I have called and she has called and no one has shown up. I am ready to tear it out and dispute the charge. These guys blow.
A  1st of Oct, 2007 by
Thanks! I was thinking of calling Empire after seeing the commercial and now I know I will go to my local dealer instead. THanks for saving me $$.
A  23rd of Oct, 2007 by
I paid nearly $5000 to Empire to have my entire home re carpeted. I did choose a low grade because I have the house on the market. But I had no idea how poor the quality would be! 60 days later it continues to shed fibers worse than I have ever seen. I can't vacuum without unclogging the vacuum at least 3 times. Just rubbing your hand over the carpet yields a hand full. I called customer service and finally got a call a week later. I was told the carpet would continue to shed for 100 days and to keep raking and vacuuming. It's all over my furniture and clothes! You should see my pictures. The next step is to go to small claims court and file a BBB complaint. Avoid this company!
D  28th of Oct, 2007 by
My husband and I set a convenient evening time for the representative to arrive and he came as arranged. We chose a laminate floor for the dining room & staircase and Berber for the bedrooms.

The installers came on the arranged Friday afternoon to fit the laminate, leaving when the dining room was complete and said they would be back on the Saturday morning to do the staircase as they did not have time to complete it before late in the evening and did not want to leave the stairs in a half finished state in case we had an accident. They arrived on the Saturday morning, completed the stairs as the carpet installers arrived to re-carpet the bedrooms.

All the work always completed by 5.p.m on the Saturday. They all did a very good job and my husband and I continue to be satisfied. We took advantage of the one year free credit and are just about to pay that off so we can take advantage of it again and have a second staircase and hallway laminated and the downstairs living room re-carpeted.

Sorry guys, but we are happy customers!
N  5th of Nov, 2007 by
I had a carpet salesman come to my which was at the time in Bethlehem, CT. The salesman came to the door and entered my home with a huge book of samples. After spending about an hour with him I came to the conclusion that I wasn't totally ready to pick out a sample and felt I wanted to look elsewhere to compare quality and cost. This man then asked me for a $100.00 deposit saying that if I decided to go with EMPIRE and get the sale price for the carpet I would need to give him a deposit. He virtually would not leave my house and was extremely rude. Finally I gave him $100.00 and he ran out. With receipt in hand I called the company probably 10-20 times and of course no one could help me. It is a miracle this company is still in business - truly. They are just so swanky and nasty.
A  6th of Dec, 2007 by
Chicago, IL...I agree. I bought carpeting in 2003. I was highly suspicious of what showed up but I had it installed anyway. It seemed somewhat inferior to what I thought I had purchased. Same situation with the foam padding. I bought the most expensive padding. Unfortunately I didn't have sample squares of anything to refer back to. I had asked the salesman if I could keep a square to use for furniture purchase and he said they don't permit that. I can see why. I have no evidence. I had bought the top of the line carpet/padding at a much higher cost because the salesman told me it would hold up much better and much longer being that I was a cat owner. As time passed, I compared what I had to what the other carpet stores have, and my stuff is basically crap! It isn't even worth keeping at this point. It also buckled up around the base boards. I am in the process of having all of it ripped out and I am converting to hardwood floors with a "professional" installation. Guess in some instances "You don't get what you pay for" when your expecting top of the line. It's a classic buyer beware!
A  8th of Dec, 2007 by
We agreed to the guilty of carpet only to have a lesser grade to be installed along two differenced type of carpets . hardwood flooring was damage during the installation, a quality controlled person only to address one of the problems. they stretched the carpet so tight the carpet is coming apart empire said that my vacuum of having to strong of suction for there carpet. the installers put holes in my wall, left out the hidden z bar the holds carpet down , did not com pleat their job at all and now they sent me to a collection agency for payment thats not complete, are they nuts it like buying a half of anything.I informed them I will not pay on a job thats of a incompleteness state.
N  17th of Dec, 2007 by
My husband and I were thinking of getting new carpeting in several rooms in our home. We planned on contacting Empire...thanks to this site, we wouldn't even consider it. I feel bad for all of these hard working people who got burned. Shame on Empire for their irresponsible business practices.
N  27th of Dec, 2007 by
Thank you for posting your comments on this site. I was looking for the telephone of EMPIRE because I saw the commerical and I didn't jot dow the number. At this point I really don't need it now! I have read enough!. I don't have to even call the representative to come out. I will not make the mistake and think that they will do better with me! Thanks for the information.

Empire Today Logo Empire Today