Emirates / misplaced luggage!

1 United Arab Emirates Review updated:

I am a resident of Dubai and always take pride in flying Emirates. I am a Skywards Gold Category member (by virtue of earned miles) indicating at my loyalty towards Emirates. I always take pride in associating myself with Emirates in any way. It is clearly evident that the service delivery as well as the quality is fast declining on Emirates and a frequent flyer like myself can not only observe and notice it but can easily compare the same with other global airlines. Anyways, I have always convinced myself so far that things will improve and will bring back the glory to Emirates.

In the midst of this impression I had developed about Emirates, there happened an incident which totally shattered my confidence on Emirates Airlines. I checked on EK 512 dated 16.01.2008 from Dubai to Delhi. The flight was scheduled at 5:15 a.m. to depart from Dubai. Assigned gate was number 41. Everything was going on usual till I reached the boarding gate. I noticed a long queue (in the corridors that runs 2 floors underground) waiting for the buses to arrive to transfer the passengers to the aircraft. The sight was totally uncommon and in sharp contrast to what anyone thinks about Emirates. It was a shame for me to hear the comments being made by people who were connecting through Dubai to further destinations and were unfortunately on this flight. Sarcastic comments likes " we thought Emirates is world's best " or "wow...is this what Dubai offers " were embarrassing for someone like me who is always proud of Dubai and anything associated with it. The flight departed after 1 hour of delay and when we reached Delhi airport, it was a chaos because lots of baggage were reported to be misplaced. I was flying business class so was lucky that one among the ground staff announced my name near the conveyor belt and upon contacting him, i was told that baggage of 82 passengers could not be boarded on EK 512 and will be delivered next day when they arrive into Delhi by the next incoming Emirates flight the following day i.e. on 17.01.2008. It was a surprise but then i thought it is ok... happens sometimes. I quietly filled in the PIR, gave my contact details to the Emirates Ground Staff at Delhi Airport and left for my home more or less sure that my baggage will arrive next day and that Emirates, as promised, will ensure to deliver it at my residence in Delhi.

Come next day, I started calling Emirates Delhi Airport Office and was diverted to voice mail probably 5 or 6 times. I was running out of patience after trying to contact them for about 2 hours and all in vain) and gradually the fear started sinking in that something is wrong somewhere. I was lucky enough to contact the Emirates Ground Staff at Delhi Airport after numerous attempts and was told that my luggage did not arrive even on the next flight. I asked for the reason and was told that there is some problem at the Dubai Airport Baggage Handling. I called Dubai +[protected] (Emirates Customer Care) and informed them about my situation. They were kind enough to call me back informing that the baggage could not be loaded even the second day and they will try to load it on next Delhi Bound flight on 18.01.2008. Having no choice, I agreed but told them that if the baggage does not arrive on 18th then i don't need it anymore in Delhi as I am coming back to Dubai on 19th. I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping my baggage arrives tomorrow i.e. on 18.01.2008.

I came to Delhi on a business trip strictly related to a signing of some important property related documents. I am without my luggage and also went through some anxious moments trying to contact Emirates Ground Staff at Delhi Airport. My question is what do I do in such a situation? Can I forget or ignore this experience? Will I ever get to see my misplaced baggage ? Will an offer of few skywards miles suffice as compensation? Is this Emirates really... ?... so on... What do I do and who should i address this complaint to?

Please advise smb.

Comments

• Di
      15th of Nov, 2014

Hi
    I have had a similar experience, my whole luggage was lost from emirates at Mumbai airport and I strongly suspect the guys at the check in desk took the bag - I never saw him put a label on the bag or moving it down the conveyor belt. Emirates are apparently 'trying to trace the bag' but have not taken anything I have said seriously. There is not even any human response to it. You are lucky you at least finally got your bag back, mine contained all the christmas presents I had bought for my family, as well as many other personal items.

I can't believe that this could happen at a large international airport. Really not happy.

Diana Liyanage

• Di
      15th of Nov, 2014

Aologies, this comment posted before I had amended it as I see you have not yet got your bag back. There is obviously widespread bag theft/negligence by emirates in india. Emirates should do something to safeguard their customer's luggage in these cases, considering the cost of flying with them is at least £200 more than other airlines.