Emirates / denying mother of sick child to accompany the child in the same flight - ek 719 on 13th april 2009

Dear sir/madam,

I am one of the passengers (Waruhiu/hmr) who flew in the above mentioned flight from dubai to nairobi and would like to inform you of my dipleasure with the manner in which my case was handled by your ground staff at dubai international airport.

I travelled with my family to dubai on 8th april - my wife, two children and my sister. The following events made me upset with your services.

1. 8th april 2009 in nairobi: my two children were placed in a different flight from the rest of us. One child is slightly over one year and the other four years. The children had been scheduled to fly on 9th april. After a lot of difficulties, we were able to fly on the same flight - an issue that took more than two hours to be sorted out.

2. 13th april 2009 in dubai: my younger son (One year) fell sick while we were there. My wife (Jane njoka) was scheduled to fly out of dubai in a different (Afternoon) flight from me and from the children. We made changes by contacting the emirates office in nairobi and your colleague in nairobi (Michael) confirmed that my wife's ticket had been changed and that we could fly altogether that morning. When we arrived at the airport, we were told her details did not reflect on your system though we later obtained this information. I was eventually informed by your ground staff that she would fly with us. We had a sick baby with us and we made this known to your staff. This was not to happen and eventually, I and the children flew and left my wife behind. Upon arrival in nairobi, the baby needed to be admitted but could not be taken in without the mother.

I consider the act by emirates (To deny the mother of a sick child to fly with the child) as totally irresponsible of the airline as well as morally and ethically wrong. I also consider this to be against fundamental human rights. While some staff on the ground empathized with our situation, some of them were completely insensitive and non responsive to the case at hand. Efforts to have my sister or myself left behind so that the mother could fly with the child went unheard.

Although it might be late for you to do anything now, any position that I consider on my end should be looked at from the manner in which the case at hand was handled. It is indeed my third time to have issues with your airline. As a matter of fact, I find it difficult to ever reconcile flying with emirates again or even recommend the airline to anyone. Needless to say that my flying experience on 13th april with your airline is the worst I have had in my 20 years of flying.

Hopefully, if this matters to you, you will be able to improve your passenger handling services, if only to save the reputation of your airline.

Waruhiu henry