Emirates Airline / Dubai Airport / stolen baggage

1 9930 bellamy hillEdmonton, Alberta, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 780 933 6703

I recently returned from a trip to Dubai. One of my suitcases never arrived at my final destination. The airline can't even trace whether it left Dubai airport. It was a suitcase with most of my expensive shopping. I suspect my bag was stolen since I opened it infront of a porter who are known to be lookouts to inform the baggage handlers which bag to steal. I just find it strange that my 4 other pieces arrived and the one piece that had the expensive items didn't. I would accept perhaps it got lost if airline can tell me that yes it did leave Dubai airport but they can't. I have heard from many others with similar experiences. I think this is a real shame for Dubai. I plan to on writing to the tourism minister to complain about the number of thefts occuring at this airport. I wouldn't consider vacationing in Dubai again because of this experience. I encourage everyone who has has similar experience at Dubai airport or with Emirates airline to write to him as well. Maybe if enough people write he would consider taking action.

So

Comments

• Do
      4th of Oct, 2010

How right you are sir. Emirates have gained a very negative reputation for this sort of thing recently. During the world cup in South Africa there were scores of similar incidents. However the difference there was that their baggage handlers would actually break into peoples' suitcases and select whatever they desired.

Being part of the Emirates at Johannesburg Airport must be like being sent to California during the gold rush for these guys. I have had at least half a dozen friends report theft when using Emirates from Jo'burg.

My personal experience as a Masters student was having an SLR camera stolen, a portable hard-drive with all my work on it and even my back-up USB stick. What hurt most of all was not the cost, but the fact months of hard work and intellectual property have been lost forever.

Worse still, was the fact that every member of the Emirates staff I tried to speak to evaded my questions and kept referring me to someone else. Finally I was told to send an e-mail to customer complaints, and I received an automated response saying it would take 30 days to process my query. Well after much badgering, 47 days later someone replied and basically informed me I was stupid for packing anything of value into my hold luggage!

Next time I need to go to Africa, I think I will fly Virgin. I hear a lot of good stuff about them.