eFax / Dodgy rates and billing practices

1 DE, United States Review updated:

My office sent a fax through eFax to Brunei and we were surprised to find out that we were got billed for USD 54 for an 8 page fax to Brunei. I know that if a fax goes beyond one minute to send, then they start billing you for .10 US cents a minute to Brunei only. So if it took 3, 240 seconds to transmit my fax, it should just come around to 5.40US dollrs. I called them 3 times for this. The first time, the "level 1" customer service person assured me that it would be corrected. But after a week I discovered that our company card was still billed USD 54.

After I called two more times, I was finally sent to "level 2" customer service. There they explained that I had sent a fax to a "dubai mobile- premium" number which is charged at 1 US dollar a minute. I asked them what is their definition of a "premium number" since I know that the office I sent to in Brunei was just a normal fax number -- and they said that "Oh we don't really know, because it depends on the local carriers. They are the ones who tell us if it is a premium number or not and we can't check ourselves..."

If you check their site right now, there is no immediate link to a site that will the rates per country. I had to trick a customer service rep to give me the link which is actually: https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/getRatesPopup?hidePricingInfo=yes

Mo

Comments

22nd of Sep, 2009

Hi, my name is Sarah and I am an analyst at Balestriere Lanza, a trials and investigations law firm in New York. Our firm has been investigating eFax's potential misconduct for several months and would be interested in hearing more from you about your experience. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience at sarah.goodman@balestriere.net or at (212) 374-5400 x 132.