Dollar Tree / dollar tree store manager attacks my 3 year old son

1 Martell, CA, United States Review updated:

I had an experience the day before yesterday in martell california. My husband, myself, & 3 year old son went to the store to shop. we were shopping quietly, not bothering anyone. The store has several balloons all over the place, so my 3 year old son decided to hold one by the string, not harming it, just holding it, and he was with my husband at the time. A lady claiming to be the store manager by the name of TAMMY came over and grabbed my sons hand, yanked the a balloon out of his hand and told him he can't hold a balloon, he has to put it back! My husband started to react right away and told her she has no right to talk or touch our son. she continued to argue with my husband while i stood in complete shock. I urge everyone in the jackson, martell, sutter creek, California area not to shop at the martell dollar tree!

Ki

Comments

25th of May, 2008

Remember, only you think your son is a superstar. To the rest of us he is just another kid. Watch your son more carefully, he obviously needs more supervision.

• Ki
      29th of May, 2008

I am a store manager for this company. We have many problems with parents not watching their own
    children. We have to clean up after these children we
    also have to damage our merchandice because they
    are not being watched and they tear open packages.
    We also have caught some of them stealing on camera.
    However I would never agree with what this manager
    did in this instance, there was nothing wrong with a
    young child holding a balloon.

• Di
      11th of Oct, 2008

I live in amador county, shop at the martell store, I feel the store manager used poor judgement in this case. I well continue shopping at this store but, hope this manager dosen't rip a balloon out of my hand, for I don't know what my reaction well be.????????????????????????????????

15th of Nov, 2008
    Best Best Advice +5 Votes

I work in this store and I know of this incident. This statement is completely false. Tammy did not rip the balloon out of the childs hand, she never even touched the child. He had let over 50 balloons out of the balloon corral and she caught one as he was letting it go and said "no no, they have to stay in here" . The father of the child reacted by screaming at Tammy and calling her an ### over and over throughout the store. They grabbed the child and dragged him out of the store while screaming obcenities at Tammy. Meanwhile the child was still trying to play with more balloons. There were several witnesses to the incident, including cameras. I hope all who read this takes their own experiences with our staff to form their own opinions on whether they want to shop here.

16th of Nov, 2008

Im sorry that you feel this way and that you will not shop at our store anymore. But i do work there and i know of what happened. Tammy is the sweetest person that works at that store and would NEVER harm a child. She was simply telling the child to stop letting all the balloons go. I talked to Tammy personally and she told me exactly what happened. The father of this child called Tammy and ### and was folowing her around the store being rude to her. Im sorry that whoever wrote this is too into themselves and their child to completely bash a whole store on the internet for a woman simply telling the child to stop. And I'm sorry that this child's father was disrespectful enough to yell at a woman.

• He
      19th of Nov, 2008

Why is it disrespectful to yell at a woman? Many women deserve to be yelled at as well as men.

Henry Gondorff

1st of Apr, 2018

@Henry Gondorff Well said. As a woman myself I have to agree with you. You cannot hide behind gender to get away with things that are wrong. Some women call men cowards for arguing with them online. Well if you are going to dish verbal abuse be prepared to take it. Nothing wrong a man yelling at or telling off women who need to be told off.

30th of Aug, 2009

Well Henry...in most countries, even the one's where you are allowed to beat your wife, it's still not ok to use bad language towards any person.

And this is another instance as to why it should be illegal to give out employee names. Apparently everyone knows who this employee is and she has a lot of supporters (yay!) but you posting her name shows how disrespectful you are Kim.

I have to believe that if this employee actually did this, you would have filed a police report just like everybody else. If you felt that she was such a threat to children that is. If the case were true she would then have to undergo screening and get a clrearance to work where she may encounter any children.

And, it sounds like your husband should have undergone this clearance process because anyone using profanity in front of a child would not have passed and for example, would never be allowed to adopt a child. I guess you are lucky the government has yet to pass out clearances to people who are allowed to breed.

• Ka
      2nd of Nov, 2010

Yeah, we have to keep an eye on the balloons so they don't get sucked up into the vents in the ceiling, its REALLY annoying, and I love how this lady had to try to justify her family by completely exaggerating the story so that she doesn't look like she's wrong, this is how innocent, caring people [like Tammy] get in trouble for just doing their jobs and people like that anger me to no end. If you're really going to take the time to complain make sure that its for something that the employees did wrong, not you, your obnoxious husband and your crazy balloon obsessed child!

25th of Jan, 2011

I have been in Dollar Tree many times, seems like a lot of people just come in and set the kids loose. dont care what they do, or what they mess up. I think this is one of those parents

• La
      29th of Jun, 2017

This is the common type of disregard most dollar tree customers show. Never seen so much merchandise damaged out due to careless parents. And somehow it will be the staffs fault. What happened to morals, if your kid let go 50 balloons you being a decent human should pay for them. Why should the store suck up the cost of your bad parenting.

9th of Jul, 2017

Dollar tree should have customer policy. Never leave your child unattended ...over the past system you should be allowed to say there is an unattended child on isle 4 . Your child will be waiting at front with our staff for your child's safety ...have dollar tree customers ever Flippen heard of kidnapping pedafiles, bad people, people that just want a kid. Lol I would never pick one from a dollar tree cause them is bad kids anyways. Just saying.

11th of Apr, 2018

Why come the manger tommy could not ask for the ballon back instead of yanking the ballon out of his hand? I was told as a child never to to touch anything in the store maybe thats the reasen why unless someone buying it.

• Ar
      28th of May, 2018

Your son should not be touching other people's things without permission. Discipline your son, correct him yourself and this won't be an issue.