DMV / have gone too far with new regulations!!

1 2640 Portland Rd NESalem, OR, United States Review updated:
Phone: (503) 945-7942

I was a travelling nurse last year coming to Salem. I kept my CA driver's license and plates. Then I decided to stay but allowed my license to expire for some dumb reason. So, I hurried to the DMV to get things rectified, as my tags were going to expire at the end of June (08). They sent me packing because their new restrictions on what they can allow for proof of address just went into effect. I am a legitimate renter and have received mail to the address in question.They would no longer accept my rental agreement, most mail, no paycheck stubs. I had to produce some type of bill, or so I thought. So, A couple of weeks later, I finally get my truck bill statement in the mail (I pay online), as it was late in arriving, and went down the second time to get my license switched over...again denied. they wanted a utilitiy bill or credit card statement with my name and address on it. I have no credit cards anymore and all the utlities are in my roommate's name, as he was there before me. They say they are trying to eliminate identity theft. C'mon, DMV, you people are not even trying to help. I need a current ID to work! They have effectively marginalized me for one mistake and their new regulations are giving them an excuse to not help people like me. What do I do now? They want me to take my roommate with me to prove it. He won't go, but I will ask him. This is bad service.

Comments

6th of Aug, 2008

Wanted to tell you about my experience at the DMV getting my driver's license re-instated.

All the information about me is in their DMV computer complete with a picture of me, but I had to provide:

1. A birth certificate
    2. A wedding certificate
    3. Social Security Card
    4. Mail from a government agency to my address of record.

Now remember, 3 months ago I had a valid driver's license.

It took 5 clerks over an hour to rule that all the documents were legitimate. Then one of the clerks changed the spelling of my name from JO AN to JOAN. Even though my Social Security card had it spelled JoAn. Obviously, it strikes me as odd that the Oregon State DMV would know more about legitimate documents and fraud than the Social Security Administration.

Anyway, the next clerk called my name for my picture. Guess what she said. That's right, Joan, as in “Joan Crawford”.

Gotta love dem bureaucrats!!! After 60 years of being called JoAn, my official Oregon name is now Joan.