California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Logo

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]

Having problems with California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]?

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on May 24, 2008. The latest review dmv manteca manager inappropriate and ineffective handling of stolen vehicle reported to her was posted on Apr 7, 2021. The latest complaint drivers license never received was resolved on Nov 19, 2019. California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 134 reviews. California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] has resolved 11 complaints.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 368 4327 (Hearing Impaired: TTY)
2415 1st Ave., Mail Station C271
SatClosed
SunClosed
DMV Public Offices

General Vehicle Registration Address, for USPS
Vehicle Registration Operations, Department of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 942869, Sacramento, CA 94269-0001

General Vehicle Registration Address, for FedEx, UPS, etc.
Vehicle Registration Operations, Department of Motor Vehicles, 2415 1st Ave., Mail Station C271, Sacramento, CA 95818-2606

General Driver License Address
Driver License Inquires, Department of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 942890, Sacramento, CA 94290-0001

International Customers
Department of Motor Vehicles, Customer Communications, MS H165, PO Box 932345, Sacramento, CA 94232-3450

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Complaints & Reviews

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]under 18 permit

I went to the Woodland DMV office in April, 2019 to take the driving permit test. As I was taking the test something went wrong with the computer. They told me I could take the written test instead. I failed it. As the Woodland Office is temporarily closed I went to the Davis office today May 8, 2019 to retake the driving permit test. I failed it again and they told me I had used up my three tries. I know you can't take it twice in one day so the one in April should have only counted as one try. The person at dmv said once it goes into the system there is nothing they can do about it. I am asking for a partial refund as they say I have to pay 36 dollars again to try again.

Lauryn Maria Elizabeth Bryson
birth date: 11/25/2001

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]reordering specialized duplicate firefighter plates

This organization is pathetic! I ordered dupilicate plates on Feb. 22 2019. It is now May 3rd. Along with that, the agent requested my old plates, but I later found out that they should not have took them. Obviously since its taken so long I have to drive around and get pulled over multiple times and explain my situation my highway patrol and Local cops. No one knows what they are doing, ive been told im supposed to get a phone call, others DMV employess say im supposed too get a postcard. I get my tags after i register my car in less then a 7-10 days, But duplicate specialized firefighter plates takes 3-6months? Why? This is rediculous! They wont even give me a paper to put on my license plate that says 5 or 6 for the month. I have to carry some piece of crap paper in my car but consistently be tailed and pulled over for a tag that says 4. Im expected to do my job, yet many others have so many low services and expectations. This has got to get better expecially for people trying to get it right and do things correct or by the law!!!

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]driver medical release

My son had a drivers test sch today (5/1/19) He was told there was a " medical hold" per Drivers safety office who stated they had no clearance on file. He was "cleared" months ago & received his driving permit "from DMV". Where did the medical clearance go? He's waited 3-4 mo to test today. How was he cleared & given a DMV permit if he wasn't cleared? DMV could not answer our question. This is unacceptable.

• Updated by christine daniels · May 01, 2019

I would like a call from a district supervisor please. [protected].
          Christine Daniels

Apr 29, 2019

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — carissa dmv "customer service".

This employee Carissa is flat out rude. She never greeted me upon me going to her desk. She was texting on...

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]address change

I have visited local office three times attempting to have the address for my vehicle registration changed. Each time they have given me a different reason why it cannot be done. The last time, they told me I couldn't do it because I didn't bring enough money to renew the registration. I still need the address changed, and I would think having accurate information is important to the DMV. A supervisor personally assured me he would have my address updated, but this seems to have been inaccurate.

Why can't I update my information, and why is everyone giving me the runaround?

Apr 19, 2019

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — employee (supervisor)

My name is Gregory Merriweather and I'm a disabled veteran paid once monthly... my car registration was due...

Apr 01, 2019

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — office hours

On April 1 website states the field office is open...

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]misinformation on your website.

I am trying to register my out of state boat here. I have the bill of sale and my previous registration from GA showing proof of ownership. Your website states that a title OR bill of sale can show ownership, yet when I go to the DMV, they are asking for a title. GA does not require a title for boat registration. When contacting the GA county office, they provided me with a owner of record statement which the DMV here is not accepting. I would like to know what can I do next to get my boat registered.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]semi parked on sidewalk yuba city

I first complained to Todd Higgins of TruckMovers.Com, [protected]) Independence Mo, in January 2019 as this had been going on for some time. I explained that I am a 63 y/o disabled vet and his 'contract driver' has been parking on the sidewalk, obstructing the pedestrian walkway thereby creating a safety issue. Mr Higgins has been ineffective in correcting this unlawful behavior so I tried public shaming by making a couple of reviews and posting the images below. He says he can't believe that I am being "so vengeful". It is a matter of principal. I asked how he would feel if it was a SEMI on HIS street - he said he would be upset about it also. So, it seems, from our conversation this morning, that Mr Higgins is more upset that this situation has not gotten more public attention and has caused him some grief. I warned Mr Higgins in January that if this continued, I will "make noise" and cause him grief which in response to the grief and pain and inconvenience of the obstruction. The driver brought all of this on herself and TruckMovers by being jerks.

semi parked on sidewalk yuba city
            semi parked on sidewalk yuba city

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]license

I tried to renew my license. I was given one that said "federal limits apply". I then
              Took down my birth certificate, certified copy which the oroville, ca office would not accept. I took down my pge bill and my social security card which they would not accept. I was born in san francisco, ca in 1942.
              If I am an illigle imigrant, what benefits should I and my children have received. I was born in the us of us parents, worked in san francisco, ca and paid taxes for over 50 years - do I get a refund, free medical etc.
              The people insisted I had to use my mother's maiden name as my last name because even tho my father was listed as my father on my birth certificate - he didn't sign itl..,.. no he didn't - as I told them he was fighting our country in ww2
              They are wrong in what they did, please advise.
              Sharon warnock woodworth

• Updated by Sharon Woodworth · Feb 19, 2019

Correction: Fighting for our country

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]vehicle registration

Vehicle registration
                Phone Agent Name:Leigh would not provide last name.
                time : 3.32pm February 1 2019
                Please find this person and take him off of your phones. He does a terrible diservice to DMV and to everybody working for DMV.
                First he is not helpful
                He laughed at me and hungup phone.
                I waited almost two hours for a call back.
                our conversation lasted no more than five minutes. Terribly character lack of professionalism
                Please i work very hard everyday and cannot make a 2 3 hour run to an office and needed simple assistance. Leigh is not suited for the job he has been given.

• Updated by lillylewis · Feb 01, 2019

Why does DMV not work properly and in timely manner. to collect money the system is on point but to speak to somebody - one needs to jump through hoops and wait for hours.
                    DMV employees for the mist part are terribly unprofessional angry and generally nasty people.
                    who runs California DMV
                    who is in charge
                    why is this system so useless and corrupt
                    why does this not work
                    please help
                    what is happening

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]extremely long wait on the phone, and its call-back system is a scam!

I have tried to call CA DMV on the phone to find out where is my renewed driver's license. It's been about 6 weeks since I paid online, and I still have not received the new driver's license.

I have been calling for 6 days, I tried waiting on hold, I tried the call-back. I was on hold for 2.5 hours once, and the other times I tried the call-back, which I received missed call notifications without my phone even ringing. I knew the phone did not ring, because I was holding my phone when I received those notifications.

I finally got a real person to talk to, and the agent told me it's been an known issue that online renewals are not recorded properly on the system, and told me to forward the email confirmation to [protected]@dmv. ca.gov. He than hang up on me immediately...

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]downtown subaru of oakland

I purchased a Subaru Outback on Sept 29, 2018 from Omar and Richard at Downtown Subaru of Oakland on Broadway in Oakland, CA. After nearly 3 hours with my small children at Downtown Subaru of Oakland, we went into the Finance office with Richard. Richard spent another 20minutes looking up Costco "rebates" for me on upgrades and services. He even had me txt my mother for her Costco number... I listened to his details but said we don't need any of these things. He continued that they were significant deals and I would have 60days to review and cancel if we didn't want them.

Well, it was $6500 worth of extras like Cilajet and Premiere Services. I cancelled within a few days reaching out directly to Richard.

I tried calling and texting Richard— his name and cell were on the envelope with all my paperwork and he had said: "call me for anything you need".
                    No answer. Then, "I'm out of the office for a family emergency" then a week later, "I'll be back on Friday", then nothing. I continued to text and then schedule another Saturday to come into the dealer.

On a Saturday, October 27, I returned to the dealer and we signed cancellation paperwork to remove the extras and Richard said, "you should see this come off your account by the next billing cycle". Seemed pretty simple, but that did not happen. Nor the following month, nor the third month.

I continued to text and call in early January with no follow-up from them. I called the manager, Omar, who was apologetic and confirmed Richard would have this cleared up "by the end of the day". This did not happen, nor did I hear from Richard. Nor did I hear back from Omar.
                    I called again after another week and Omar said "Richard will call you within the hour". Nothing.
                    I texted Richard again and he gets back to me saying "I'm sick with the flu but you can call the office" or "I'm not in the office today" and then finally "Hi I'm sorry everything is turn in just wait to get refund check so we can send back if u check with me tomorrow I'll be able to get you more information". I checked back several times, but have not gotten a response.

Still no refund. My texts this week are still unanswered.

I am requesting a swift resolution to this outstanding credit I am owed and secure this credit to reduce my principal balance.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]dmv office in torrance

Hello, I am a U.S. citizen. I had lost my prior DL/California and went into the Torrance DMV to request a replacement DL. I was issued an AB 60 DL. This was discriminatory!!

"Under AB 60, the DMV can issue an original driver license to an applicant who lacks proof of legal presence in the United States and meets all other requirements to obtain a driver license, including proof of identity and California residency and meeting all other licensing requirements including written and drive tests."

THIS IS NOT MY FIRST DL. I've been driving in the U.S.A. since I was 16, 1977. I am filing a complaint against DMV for issuing me an AB 60 DL.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Winnetka Office — restrooms are inadequate and filthy

on 11-15-18, I went to the Winnetka office of the DMV to renew my drivers license. While I was there, I...

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]beware! red bluff, ca. lost/unfiled cdl medical evaluation paperwork

Just got notice on October 2018 while turning in my cdl medical exam report (due 11/9/2018) to a local DMV office that he was told I do not have a current cdl and medical on file since October 2017 and that I was to contact DSO office of Redding, CA.! I have here in my hand current cdl which expires 11/27/2018 (temp. Since I didn't have time to finish written tests) and my current medical expires on 11/9/2018 which I already had done when I was in Oregon...! Got back to my yard company ran my license in the morning and it was valid then ran it again a few hours later and it was pulled by the DMV that day NOT 1 year ago which they said they sent me notice for which I never received they also said my company received notice in 2017 which they also did not or I would not of been driving!... meanwhile I was sent home for 2 weeks to figure this out with the DSO office in Redding, CA. Finally had a phone interview on 10/31/18 and was told they had a concern about my diabetes for which I was diagnosed on my last physical Oct 2017 I was given a 3 month certificate to have it checked. I went to Dr. Put me on metformin went back to medical examiner with my new A1c of 7.4 down from a 8.7 so it was considered under control and issued a 1 year med. cert. Nov 9, 2017 to Nov 9, 2018 paperwork again was hand delivered by me to the red bluff DMV office and according to to DMV Sacramento it was never received I have it but they don't care I have been out of work now for 2 weeks no pay because the DMV did not do there job so who is going to pay my lost wages and pain and suffering for both my wife and myself. My blood pressure is high can't sleep for the past 2 weeks same as my poor wife who is going through all this too. I guess I have no choice but to file a claim to the DMV and contact an Attorney. I should not have to go through this bullcrap? I am an for driver I'm on the road 6 or more weeks at a time and work the 48! I am so sick of the DMV incompetence! How can you send out a letter as the DMV stated they did by mail NOT CERTIFIED REGERSTERED MAIL!! You are dealing with my livelihood here, I should send that stuff out registered and I should sign for the letter that way there is no doubt real simple you would think! l anyway I'm not a happy camper right now. Now I have to wait for a letter from the DSO interview guy with his decision his decision of what!!!??? This so sucks!! I have been a truck driver for over 20 years!! NO ACCIDENTS PERFECT CSA anyway see you in small claims!!

• Updated by Frank Stone · Oct 31, 2018

Just wanted to add I am now only pre-diabetic a1c 6.6 l

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]sacramento dmv system outage(s)

On Thursday, September 20, 2018, after a four month wait, for an 8:00 a.m. online appointment, for a Real ID, only to find out that the DMV system was down and they did not know when it would be up again. Staff recommended that I reschedule my appointment in three weeks, due to the fact that I had recently received a letter from the DMV extending my current license, if I would fill out the application and return with a $ 35.00 check, which I did. I arrived for that appointment yesterday, Tuesday, October 9, 2018, at 8:00 a.m.. When my number was called, I proceeded to the counter and produced my paperwork, only to find out that I did not have the correct paperwork. I was informed by your staff that my birth certificate had to be the original one with the blue border around it, which I had in my safe, at home. I had brought a copy of my birth certificate. I showed him the full page advertisement that the DMV had placed in the Sacramento Bee and no where in the advertisement did it indicate that the birth certificate had to be an original one with the blue border. It only said it had to be your birth certificate. Your staff read the advertisement and agreed with me that it was misleading. I then asked him if he could check on my application for my new driver's license that I had mailed in four weeks ago, for renewal. He checked and informed me it had not been processed yet. So he rescheduled me to come in this morning, for the third time, Wednesday, October 10, 2018, at 10:00 a.m., to complete my Real ID application. I showed up at the DMV office at 9:45 a.m. and my number was called at 10:45 a.m.. As I approached the counter, I overheard another employee say that the system was down again. I asked the staff assisting me if this was true, and she said yes. I cannot believe this. I've been in there three times to complete one task and have not be able to complete it. And now I've have to go back for a fourth time. These numerous, incompetence, have completely messed up my daily schedules.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]service

I purchase a car and went to office El Cajon and was directed to have my car inspected, by DMV, I did, was also told to get a weightmaster Cert., I did. I couldnt
                            wait because I am a Disabled Korean war vet and I need my medicaion. Put paperwork in exprss basket on8/13/2018. Paperwork sent to Sacremento. Two visits to DMV EL Cajon. After two months and paying all fees. No Title or license.
                            Peter Karambelas Vech. Vin3gccw80hxhs903563 1987 El Camino, Tempoary
                            permit no. LAA3288163 will expire 10/11/2018. lic. plate no.670582x

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]id card

All I need is a replacement CA ID card. I cannot do this transaction online. I cannot reach anyone by phone due a minimum 2 hr. wait to speak to anyone. I have limited cell mins. so that is not an option.
                              I tried to make a local office appointment and the online system tells me there is not a single appointment available for 50 DAYS...What? Today is Sept 24th. No appointments until Nov.15. ????
                              So, I cant call. I cant make an appointment, and I cant do it online.
                              I waited 4 hrs. last time.
                              This system is broken. It is unfair to all of us. We have lives of our own.
                              Something needs to be done.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]bellflower location

I went today to take my picture for my real ID. The photographer behind the camera was very complementary. Kept emphasizing how beautiful my smile was. I was polite and said thank you but I was offended when he wrote his phone number on a sticky note and asked me to text him later that evening. His name was Bryan. Now I'm concerned because my personal information is accessible.

• Updated by FitChick40 · Sep 22, 2018

So he could continue to keep that smile on my face he said.