California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Logo

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]

Having problems with California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]?

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on May 24, 2008. The latest review dmv manteca manager inappropriate and ineffective handling of stolen vehicle reported to her was posted on Apr 7, 2021. The latest complaint drivers license never received was resolved on Nov 19, 2019. California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 134 reviews. California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] has resolved 11 complaints.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 368 4327 (Hearing Impaired: TTY)
2415 1st Ave., Mail Station C271
SatClosed
SunClosed
DMV Public Offices

General Vehicle Registration Address, for USPS
Vehicle Registration Operations, Department of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 942869, Sacramento, CA 94269-0001

General Vehicle Registration Address, for FedEx, UPS, etc.
Vehicle Registration Operations, Department of Motor Vehicles, 2415 1st Ave., Mail Station C271, Sacramento, CA 95818-2606

General Driver License Address
Driver License Inquires, Department of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 942890, Sacramento, CA 94290-0001

International Customers
Department of Motor Vehicles, Customer Communications, MS H165, PO Box 932345, Sacramento, CA 94232-3450

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Complaints & Reviews

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]vehicle registration fees

The fees for vehicle registration is astronomical, and what exactly am I getting out of it, except going in to debt? 388 dollars to renew a registration on a nissan altima seems like highway robbery. It is not a bently or a ferrari, it's a car normal working class people use to get to work and back. Plus there isn't even ways to help with us poor people just trying to make a living, such as payment arrangements or anything.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]dmv doesn't tell customers about 4 to 6 months waiting period for real id

I applied for my REAL ID driver's license on August 11.'18 and submitted my legal documents: Resident card, passport, Etc. Received my temporary license that will expire in early October and was told to expect my new ID in 2 to 3 weeks. Today, 9/20/18, I spoke to DMV representative Janice. She told me it would take about 4 to 6 months to review my legal documents but could not tell me why it would take so long. Instead she told me it was 'just the procedure'. She did sound tired and a bit impatient. I imagine she is dealing with the same question every day. But I am looking for an explanation, a reason why the process takes so long, and why DMV clerks, and phone representative are not provided with the information to advise the customers of the long waiting period. It will take 3 to 6 hours waiting at the local DMV to get an extension for my temporary license. If it takes 4 to 6 months I will have to go through it several times. I suggest, given the long document review period, the DMV should send out renewal letters 6 months before license expires and advise of long waiting period.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — woman who works for the dmv

In Weaverville California, the lady who works there is rude to the elderly-bullying them, and to anyone...

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]handicap placard

Vikram Khanna
      18652 Brasilia Drive
      Porter Ranch, Ca. 91326
      DMV Lic.# Y4027698
      9/11/2018

Sir,

I am a cancer patient, I applied for handicap placard, over one month ago. I revived a note from your Registration Operation Division that License or Id is required. I sent the copy of my divers license about three weeks ago, I have not yet received my placard.

I direly need handicap placard, for hospital visits. Please help me to expedite the issue of direly need placard.

Thank you, for your assistance.

Regards

For Vikram Khanna ( Lal Gehi Related to Vikram )

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]renew driver license

Last week we received a renewal letter for my wife's drivers license it expirers on her birthday this October. the letter informed her that she needed to have her photo, thumb print and the eye test plus the 35.00 dollars.
        We tried to make a appointment on line at 4 different locations in the San Diego area November, December and January was all the appointment dates.
        She has no choice but to walk in to the Poway location this morning at 8:00 AM this morning. That's when she was informed that she was supposed to fill out a online form nothing about it on the renewal letter. So now she has been there for 3 1/2 hours and waiting. Just to renew a driver license...the rudeness of your employees is unbelievable customer service what is that. You need to reminded all of your employees that the people of California pay there salary's and we are the customer and would like a little respect and the service we deserve.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]real id application process

In June 2018, I applied for a real Id during my summer break. My drivers license does't expire until 2021. I was told I would receive the REAL ID in three weeks. I returned to the DMV office in July because I still had not received it. They told me to come back and bring my documents so they can scan them again and then they gave me an extension on my temporary license until Oct 2018. It is now close to mid September and I am still waiting. I took the morning off from work today and decided to return to the DMV office again. I asked for the manager. Someone came and told me that I needed to call a number but did not indicate which option would help me with this issue . After being on hold for 30 minutes, the gentleman that answered said that I have to call the number again and press a different option. Now I am on hold again and there are 50 people in front of me. After going to the DMV office on four different occasions and waiting on the phone for an hour to resolve whatever the problem. On my initial visit, the person handling my paperwork made various errors. She had to scan my documents repeatedly and she had to start over three times. I am convinced that all of this inconvenience that I am experiencing is due to the lack of proper training of their staff or there is inadequate support for this new ID process.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]manager is very unprofessional

On 30 August 2018 I was in the testing lane waiting on a road skills test for a friend when one of the technicians had approached my vehicle and said " I didn't like some of the words in the song you was playing and if you're going to continue to play music like this then turn it down." I did that and another lady came out and said turn it down more and I did. I'm at 15/45 on volume at this point then the security and the office manager come up to my car EXTREMELY HOSTILE. and as I am explaining to the guard that because they are literally 6 inches from my vehicle that they are going to feel the 12 in subwoofer in my trunk. At this point I'm at 5/45 volume. the office manager walks up shouting JUST TURN THE DAMN THING OFF until the test is complete and I politely step out of the vehicle to address the issue with him and with hostility he begin to walk away saying I don't wanna [censored]ING talk about nothing, how about I call CHP and have them remove you from my premises and stormed off as I'm trying to have a conversation with him to come to a reasoning . To conclude the manager on duty at the DMV on Normal street in San Diego is definitely not a suitable leader due to his unprofessional behavior and inability to manage situations with aggravated customers. At no point did I raise my voice nor did I disregard any of the staff's request to turn the music down, but I don't have the right to address an issue with a supervisor/manager

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]proof of insurance

Received third notice within a year to provide proof of insurance or registration will suspended. Sent in copy of insurance once again weeks before the due date. The registration was suspended anyways and a fee to reinstate. This is ridiculous DMV is falsely extorting money from consumers. I drive for a living and am audited daily, my insurance has never lapsed. Pure scam to ripoff people. I have proof, witnesses, etc to vouch I mailed that proof. DMV must not get away with this anymore. This is more unnecessary time for bull. Scammers, You guys lie to sqeeze money out of people. I will not let this one go. I will escalate this is as high as I can to get recognition of DMV's UNLAWFUL PRACTICES AND SCAMS. They do this all the tine to get money out of us. I have proof ...

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — overcharge/mistake on behalf of dmv

On 07/10/2018 I had went to the Ca. DMV in San Diego on Normal Street to register a truck my dad had bought...

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]registration

Trying to check online the status of vehicle registration. System down with no notice of when it will be up.

Contact via phone, you go through the whole system and then it tells you not available at this time.

8/20/2018 1:58 pm

Frustrating for me as a 87 year old women, trying to take care of my business, pay you fees and then do not get any service from you.

My next written complaint will be to my state representative.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]customer service

I came to DMV in Vallejo, yesterday Aug. 1, 2018. I stopped at the line at the front and was met by a rude clerk who yelled at me asking me "WHAT ARE YOU HERE FOR?!!!". I attempted to inform her of the nature of my visit. She abruptly cut me off and proceeded to tell me what I needed to do, turns out that she had me fill out wrong paperwork causing me to start all over back outside, I was in tears and left. I returned today, thinking it might have been a bad day for the clerk. Again I was met by her at the front door with the same nasty attitude at 8am. I finally made it inside 30 mins later just to wait in another line, not to be served but to receive a number to be served. After waiting 20 mins in this line, I was given a number and told to pull my vehicle over to inspection area. I waited approximately 10 minutes before inspector came out. He asked me why was my vehicle over here with out being processed inside first. So here it is 9:05am and I am back inside waiting, not to mention I lost my parking space and had to find street parking due to moving my car prematurely from direction of DMV window clerk. While sitting here the system for calling cutomers shuts down, and now people are unsure if its there time to be served or not adding to the back up. DMV in Vallejo is horrible, they are not knowledgeable of their jobs or the services of the people they are serving. This office needs a serious audit, and to be penalized.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]dmv employees

I have a complaint about 2 of your reps. Both were very unprofessional & rude. Both women made fun of a customer who did not speak english. They both laughed out loud in front of him. I was able to tell the customer felt embarrased. To one who embarrased the customer continued making fun of him with the next customer who she helped. Sw Bakersfield.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]drivers license

I was mailed a Driver's License renewal form by DMV Sacramento, CA. I approached DMV Manteca, CA on May 30, 2018 and submitted the Driver's License renewal form mailed to me by DMV Sacramento along with proof of required documents to obtain a real Driver's License. To my surprise the DMV mailed me an identification card instead of a Driver's License. I went to DMV office at Manteca, CA where I had submitted my original renewal notice from DMV, Sacramento along with necessary paper work for renewal and apprised the Supervisor of the situation. Instead of correcting the issue by taking back the identification card and issuing me a Driver's License I was told by the Supervisor that I have to pay afresh for the Driver's License. The Supervisor also told me that I had submitted a renewal notice for identification card which is a blatant lie as I had received no notice for renewal of ID from DMV Sacramento office. The notice was for renewal of Driver's License as it is due to expire on 06/24/2018.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]i've had to contact the dmv 3 times now to correct a vehicle registration error!

I'm not happy with this continual problem!!! This will be my last and final attempt to correct this problem (DMV) has created!! On 2-24-18 I took in my plates from my Mitsubishi along with my new car sales information. At the front desk I returned my plates asked if I needed anything else at the check in window. Was told no. Get a letter saying my plates would be suspended. On 4-20-18 went to the DMV filled out a "Notice of transfer and release of liability form. They said it would be taken care of. Now I have a letter stating "notice of suspension" why can't they get it right... I've done everything as a law abiding consumer can do. How hard is it?! Why am I stuck doing their job?!

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]driver's license

In January 2018, my license (#N8160151) expired. I went to a DMV in San Diego Co. and after taking an eye exam and photo and paying $35, received a temporary license and a promise that a new license would be mailed to me. I have not received the new license yet: 4 months since I renewed.

I tried phoning DMV: there is a wait time of over several hours. I am a senior citizen and am not able to drive to a DMV and stand in line to get this simple question answered:

When will my new license be mailed?

driver's license

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]dmv field office on florin road

05/14/2018 - I have a weekly appointment at the Florin Road DMV and with all the new changes it has been anything but efficient, but nonetheless some work has at least been getting processed unit recently.
                            I had an appointment on 05/14/2018 my appointment time is an hour and a half and they managed to only process 6 Title Only transactions. Nothing complicating, nothing special and they only process 6 in that time frame.
                            05/21/2018 - I only bring in 4 transactions since they seem as if they are not capable of doing much in an hour and half and they sent 3 back for RDF for title's that there was nothing wrong with them. So now they are not even doing their job or checking the paperwork to process work. While I was picking up my 1 transaction that got processed in an hour and a half they had other deals/reg services who as well I got 1 transaction back with an hour appointment.
                            The DMV forces Dealers and Registration Services to go to the Florin Road location to get their work processed and the Tech's there can not even process 4 transactions in an hour and half how do you expect dealers to get any work done.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]telephone call back never happened though I called on many dates

I passed the driving test and fulfilled all requirements, and was issued Interim Driver License Number Class C D1416522 on 03-20-2018. This is expiring in less than a week. I have not received the permanent license by mail till today. I visited the office in Santa Clara last month and was told it was being processed. I made telephone calls on three different days in this month and was told a technician would call me back but it never happened. Kindly have this examined urgently and send my regular license.
                              Thank you.
                              SEKARIPURAM S VAIDYANATHAN
                              903 Sunrose Terrace Apt 304
                              Sunnyvale CA 94086
                              Phone [protected]
                              This complaint is dated May 14 2018.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]staff and digital testing

DMV staff couldn't tell me which parts in their book that the test would be on. The dmv computer test was broken, froze a lot. Test room noisy, staff not managing. Staff said i took test 2x, only 1 more try. I only took it once! Computer is broken. Staff awful. Apathetic, rude, disdainful, avoid, lie. They don't explain or apologize. They are mismanaged and dysfunctional. Very corrupt.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]paid parking tickets

On 3/17/14 I paid $1000 to the Ca DMV $635 was for parking tickets, since I did not yet have the smog check the application waspending, it didn't pass the smog so i got a new car. On 4/6/18 I went to register it &I was told I still owed the parking tickets, DMV never sent the money to the court. They say cause i didn't finalize the last application by turning in the smog, the money was lost!! & cause its been 4 years since then I could not get a refund! How was I to know they didn't pay my tickets off and that the money would be lost if i didn't finalize it. I never received a letter or any type of notice and since I had a new car I just left it as being paid. I was so upset I started crying at the DMV I am a separated mother of 4 girls, I work hard for my money, since DMV charged me, I paid it to them, & figured it paid off. What can I do?Whom do I appeal to? I can't believe DMV is washing their hand clean of this

California Department of Motor Vehicles (CA DMV)dmv discrimination against people with cataracts

Dear Sir or Madam:

This is a complaint against a DMV discriminatory regulation.

I just received a driver's license renewal notice that states that I must take the driving road test three times every five years. Twice at two year intervals when I'm must have a DL62 filled out by a vision specialist attesting to my vision with corrective lenses and a third driving test in the fifth year.

This is a form of discrimination against my vision situation because at the two year intervals, the only thing that should be in question is does my vision meet DMV requirements, not my ability to drive safely. I've driven for sixty years in California and have an excellent record. If I get the
                                    cataracts removed and meet DMV vision criteria, with or without corrective
                                    lenses, I would only have to take the driving road test once every five years.
                                    Therefore the DMV is forcing me to have this procedure preformed even though my ophthalmologist recommends against it until corrective lenses can't enable me to meet DMV requirements.

I want this discriminatory regulation changed such that a driving road test is only required at five year intervals. My driving abilities should not be
                                    tested more frequently than those who don't have cataracts.

Paul T. Heckler