California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Logo

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]

Having problems with California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]?

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on May 24, 2008. The latest review dmv manteca manager inappropriate and ineffective handling of stolen vehicle reported to her was posted on Apr 7, 2021. The latest complaint drivers license never received was resolved on Nov 19, 2019. California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 134 reviews. California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] has resolved 11 complaints.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 368 4327 (Hearing Impaired: TTY)
2415 1st Ave., Mail Station C271
SatClosed
SunClosed
DMV Public Offices

General Vehicle Registration Address, for USPS
Vehicle Registration Operations, Department of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 942869, Sacramento, CA 94269-0001

General Vehicle Registration Address, for FedEx, UPS, etc.
Vehicle Registration Operations, Department of Motor Vehicles, 2415 1st Ave., Mail Station C271, Sacramento, CA 95818-2606

General Driver License Address
Driver License Inquires, Department of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 942890, Sacramento, CA 94290-0001

International Customers
Department of Motor Vehicles, Customer Communications, MS H165, PO Box 932345, Sacramento, CA 94232-3450

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Complaints & Reviews

DMVidentity theft

I am posting this complaint with the hopes that someone who has been through the same experience or someone with legal knowledge may be able to give me some helpful advice.

In 2006 I found out that I had been a victim of identity theft and it appeared as though several people in several different states had been using my information for opening accounts, working, claiming unemployment benefits, etc. There was also someone in California, which is my state of birth and residence, that had been issued a California driver’s license with the same driver’s license number using my information. This had been done prior to me having first applied for and received my driver’s license.

Prior to learning of the identity theft I had been unable to pull out a DMV printout because my record was frozen. The DMV branch office employee would refer me to a DMV investigator. When I would attempt to reach the investigator I was always told that they would call me back to make an appointment but no one ever called me back. At this point I didn't pursue the issue further since my license was still valid and I still received the renewal by mail. Also, it may be of interest to note that the first license that I received had incorrect identifying information on it (eye color, height, weight). After learning of the identity theft I returned to the CA DMV to sort out the previous problems since I now knew the cause. I was told that the case had been dropped and that a new case would be opened with a new investigator.

I contacted the new investigator who came and met me for the first time at my place of employment during my lunch hour. He asked me general questions about my identity. He then showed me a picture of the other person using my information who had the same driver’s license number as I did. He asked if I knew him or where he lived, of which I did not. He then requested to meet again but for me to bring him copies and originals of my driver’s license, police report, birth certificate, social security card along with a certified letter from social security saying that the number is in fact mine, tax information, and anything else that would establish my identity.

For our second meeting the investigator met with me at my place of employment again. I brought him all the documents that he requested. He looked them thoroughly to make sure that they were authentic and he took the photo copies with him. At our third meeting, again at my work, he brought photos of several different men asking if I was any of them, to which I answered no. He showed me my picture which of course I answered yes to. Then he told me that he was unable to find the man with my license, the one he showed me during our first meeting, and because of this he was going to issue me a new license. He told me that he would mail me a letter authorizing the DVM field office to issue me a new license and instructed me to surrender all copies of my previous license and ID card and to bring my birth certificate and social security card. I did all of this and was issued a new license with a new number and was told that it would be a provisional license for one year.

Shortly after receiving my new license I had more problems from the identity theft. Someone had filed for unemployment in 2003 while I was working and EDD had garnished my 2006 taxes for the overpayment of benefits. I opened a case with EDD for the fraudulent claim and during their investigation they contacted the DMV because of the multiple people on file. My claim with EDD was resolved in my favor in just under a year but as soon as it was resolved the DMV investigator called me wanting to meet.

I met with the DMV investigator at my work again just short of having had my new license for one year. He brought another investigator with him. He had asked me to bring my original driver’s license, social security card and birth certificate. I brought him copies since he had already seen the originals in the past. He then told me that he had found the man from the first photo that he ever showed me, the man who had first received my license. He told me that he confirmed that the other man was the "real" person and that he had parents and school records to confirm his identity. He took my license and kept it. He told me that if I wanted it back then I would have to take this other man to court to fight over the identity but he would not give me the persons information in order to do such.

My DMV record is currently sealed again and has been since he took my license away. I was never informed, verbally nor in writing, whether or not my license had been revoked or suspended or anything else. I contacted an attorney who told me that the problem would resolve itself and just to wait for the DMV to mail my license back. It has been almost 4 years since my license was taken by the investigator and still nothing has changed and I just got a letter that my licence is about to expire and it says to contact the DMV Investigator so i can get a replacement

Is there anything that I can do in order to resolve this issue without having to go to court? I can't afford all of the legal fees and time off of work that would be required to pursue this in court.

• Sw
      switzer29 Dec 31, 2011

Maybe contact your state attorney generals office, they be able to instruct you on some next steps..

California DMVdmv wasting my time and jeopardizing my career

I was given a notice to renew my license - When I renewed my license, I also ordered a new ID card. They took my photo and told me I was done.

Six weeks later, I received my ID card but no Driver's License. I also received a notice at my work my driver's license is expired (it is required for work). When I called the DMV, I was told the clerk forgot to take a second photo although they already took one. Now my driver's license is expired.

I have now been told I need to return to the DMV to wait another 4 hours in line to get my photo THEY forgot to do in the first place.

Apparently when the DMV makes a mistake, they are not held accountable for anything and make no effort to fix their mistake. Any normal business would be able to fix the problem but apparently not with the DMV.

Now my career is in jeopardy and I have no recourse other than this complaint which will no doubt, go nowhere and do nothing, just like the DMV.

John Varghese SS Jan 18, 2012

How to Avoid Wasting Time at the DMV - http://www.johnvarghese.com/how-to-avoid-wasting-time-at-the-dmv/

• Ra
        rapidron Jan 10, 2012

I had the same thing happen to me. No notice, no nothing--went in taking time off work to take my picture. 6 weeks later, called in and was told I'd need to return to retake my picture.

WTF ARE YOU DOING DMV?? Being a government bureaucracy is one thing--being an UTTERLY IRRESPONSIBLE BUSINESS HEAP who has a hell of a lot of power in peoples lives is GROSS NEGLIGENCE!! Where is the accountability??

CA DMVidentity theft

My DMV record is currently sealed again and has been since he took my license away. I was never informed, verbally nor in writing, whether or not my license had been revoked or suspended or anything else. I contacted an attorney who told me that the problem would resolve itself and just to wait for the DMV to mail my license back. It has been almost 3 years since my license was taken by the investigator and still nothing has changed and no one has contacted me.

California DMVrepeated insurance verification

My name is Jonathan Tong. I have been covered by Geico insurance since July 2010, yet the DMV insists that I have not proven "financial responsibility for failure to provide insurance". As of Thursday March 03, 2011, I have received five notifications in the mail of this or the subsequent penalty of suspension of my vehicle's registration.

Before any of the incidents, I had to verify my VIN number twice because since my car is an '81 Datsun, there are 5 digits less than the modern day's vehicle.
        Incidents-
        1. I called the number [protected] and provided my information. I was told that all was taken care of and that it was probably just a VIN number verification issue.
        2. I received the notice of suspension because I had failed to provide proof. I visited the San Jose DMV on Alma, and was told that this letter had probably been mailed by mistake because it does show that I have insurance and my vehicle is not suspended. Just as a precaution I went to my Geico insurance agent's office on Curtner in San Jose, Ca and they sent another proof of insurance to the DMV that day.
        3. I received the notice again needing proof of insurance information and this time I went to the DMV the following day and was told that they had no idea why this was sent to me.
        4. I received the notice again. I went to the DMV, and now told me that even though I have showed the proof of insurance, they cannot change what is on the system because the teller is not authorized. Furthermore, it does not show that I do not have insurance but that my insurance information is "unknown". This according to the teller David Sanchez, is because even though I have provided insurance information many times, my insurance has not reported the vehicle to their database. I went to my Geico agent and was told that it is their policy to provide such information immediately after initially being insured. They sent yet another proof of insurance to the DMV. Mylene at Geico helped me. We tried through the internet at "www.dmv.ca.gov" and an "error" occured. We called and waited the full 35 minutes on the phone and Lisa, DMV operator 527, talked and gathered all information necessary from Mylene and I.
        5. It is March 3, 2011 and I have received the notice saying my car's registration is suspended for failure to prove financial responsibility.

CA DMVregistration

I moved from PA to CA in August of 2010. As soon as I found an apartment (you need a permanent address to get a license), I got my license and registered my car. After registration (including smog tests), I asked them if there was anything else I needed; if I had to turn in any paperwork. The woman said no. I asked again, asking if she was sure, and what about insurance. She said I was good. I figured, okay, I guess CA is different, and they don't need proof of insurance. My car was still insured in PA, so I thought I was good. In February of 2011, I got a letter saying that there is no proof of insurance, and my registration would be suspended at the end of the month. I called the insurance company on my end, got the necessary paperwork, and sent it to the DMV in Sacramento by mail (because you cannot send this stuff to any local DMV!). I called a week later to see if they got the letter. The woman on the phone told me no, and to call back again later. I waited another week and called. This woman tells me that the insurance company needs to send the proof electronically, so it is in their system, and that no one ANYWHERE can "key it in." ALSO, they were FOUR WEEKS behind. I called my insurance company, asking them to send the proof electronically, and they tell me that they didn't do that in PA, and my insurance had to be from California. I was very upset. The woman at the DMV should have told me all this in the first place, so I could of had this taken care of. So now, I only had two weeks to find insurance in CA, and have it electronically sent to the CA system. CA needs to get on it; they were very inefficient, and misinformed someone who was new to the state. I won't know until monday, but I may even have to pay a reinstatement fee of $14, even though the information would have came through on time. You think someone would have told me about something so important.

• Md
              mdesimoni May 25, 2011

how about read the fine print on your letters? Why in the hell would you need Ca insurance if you dont live there??? DONT call the dmv...they are idiots...Wow...people are as ridiculous as I knew...

• Tr
              Trvkell Feb 27, 2011

Yes when you go on vacation you have to notify your insurance carrier, not if you stay in the same state just when you cross state lines to include the north and south boarder.
              Some states have higher minimum limits on P/L & P/D than others if you just have liability and low full coverage. Out of country such as Mexico your insurance explicidly states that it will not cover you so you have to buy the needed coverage. Sounds bad but that is the truth.
              And I will say it again the DMV is hell in human form. LOL

• Tr
              Trvkell Feb 26, 2011

Insurance from PA is sufficent for California providing that you have full coverage, secondly you do have to notify your insurance carirer in the event you change residence or plan to drive outside the area you live in such as for vacation etc.
              It is your resposibility to know what you need when and were you go this is just common sense, not trying to put you down or anything just you have to plan ahead on big things.
              Good luck with the DMV that is hell on earth.

• Ra
              Ramstad pineridge Feb 26, 2011

It takes less time to buy insurance online than it took you to type this complaint. Why in the world would you think your PA insurance would transfer to another state? Please don't crash into anyone while you're trying to figure it out.

CA DMV — registration renewal

Recently my husband and I received a very ambiguous letter from the CA DMV regarding our truck. I needed to...

CA DMVvin verification

I transfered my dads car into my name in 9/09. The car had 13, 000 miles. I received the title and put it away without looking at the miles. I decided to sell the car which now has 17, 000 miles. I found out through carfax that the milage is 113, 000. What happened? I looked at the title and sure enough it was true. I go to AAA because I can't stand the DMV. I had to do a VIN verification which is ok right? Well, apparently it will take 2-3 months for the corrected title. I'm actually getting a good price for my car and now I'm in limbo waiting for these people to do something. They screw up and I get the shaft. Basically they are costing me money over a stupid mistake. I doubt I'll get the same price for my car in a few months. I tried calling and the people are so rude and pretty much say "oh well". We have to pay all this money for a stupid yearly sticker and this is the treatment we get. Completely unfair. I am ready to register my cars in another state where I have a residence. It's more than half the price and you can actually deal with decent people.

• -_-; May 29, 2011

Because of a numbers of car accidents, I need to get my diamond lane stickers back from the DMV.
                First, I when to the local DMV office - not only the people there was rude, I got no real answers .. and the kickers is I know the manager at that office.
                So after doing some online research, I found the proper paperworks and mail all the stuffs in - the damaged labels, the fastrack paperworks, repair shop's statements and fee for the stickers... I waited a month before I got back a letter from DMV asking me for another proof for fastrack... okay, I send get some other paper works and send the whole package in again; 3 weeks later, I get another letter from DMV - now they are saying that my A.) my fastrak paper was not current and they need a new one - okay, I am still using the same fastrak for last 5 years - why do I need to get a new unit?! B.) they said they need the damage stickers.. er, I mail in the last time - plus I have all the repairshop's paperwork stapled in the package.
                So I pretty much given up on getting the label back. NOT A HAPPY CAMPER.

joeyfeb1402 Jun 11, 2009

DMV employee said I couldn't keep the original personalized plates I had purchased with the car. When I called the DMV office, they stated that I could have kept the original personalized plates.

CA DMVdmv officer committing fraud

I don't know where to turn and nobody has written me back or I can't even get a hold of them by phone.

My husband had been arrested for mortgage fraud in Riverside County and was in jail in Banning. The Palm Springs Police had seized his bank account ($137K) and I tried to use our collateral to raise some bail but did not know how to do this. An inmate in Banning jail befriended himself with my husband. He was to be released about 2 weeks later and he promised my husband to help me bail raise money to bail him out. This person, Leon, called me after his release and even visited my husband in Banning jail. He visited me and asked what kind of collateral I had. At the time I owned a Jeep Wrangler, my husband owned a F-250 Lariat and my husband owned a house in Palm Desert with about $150K equity. Leon told me that he would be able to raise the money for bail and contacted a bail agent by name Angel in the 951 area code. I have also talked to Angel and everything was supposed to be set. On July 16, Leon came by and told me he wanted to bring my Jeep for detailing. My Jeep and my husbands F-250 had been stored at my residency because I did not have the money to register them or get insurance. Leon was aware of this. He brought back the Jeep about 2 hours later and the Jeep had a 30-day temp in the rear window with expiration 8/31/2009. Leon told me that he had a friend at the DMV in Banning and this friend would do him favors. One morning when I woke up, my husbands F-250 was missing with a trailer attached. I called the Desert Hot Springs Police department and they ran the license plate 7W83363. They informed me that I could not file a police report because some "Monique Flaherty" was the registered owner of the F-250. This Monique is Leon's wife. We had bought the F-250 at Star Ford in Glendale and still owed $2550.00 to Ford Motors.
              Then in August I had a problem with a tire on the Jeep Wrangler. I drove it down to Joe's Tire Store a quarter mile form my residency. As I was making a right turn into the drive way, a lady hit me from the back. My vehicle was pushed, span around and landed on the side walk. The police came and made reports. Both vehicles were declared a total loss. When this lady's insurance company tried to issue me a check for the damages they ran a DMV print-out. I was informed that some "Monique Flaherty" was the registered owner of my Jeep and that she had taken out a loan from 1-800-Loan-Mart in Encino, CA. I have written to them but they have not responded. The registration on my Jeep is to expire on [protected].
              There is definetely some fraud involved at the DMV in Banning. This DMV officer at the same time, on 7/16/2009 issued me a 30-day temporary registration expiring on 8/31/2009, and issued to Monique Flaherty a one year's registration, also transferred title the same day. The DMV in CA wants to see my pink slip but my pink slip is missing out of my file. I never signed anything or gave anybody permission to sell my or my husband's truck. This friend of Leon's must be quite a criminal. I have his signature on my temporary operating permit for the Jeep for the month of August 2009.
              After being aware of the illegal transfer of our vehicles, I ran a property profile on my husbands house in Palm Desert. Believe it or not, this home is now in Leon Flaherty's name and was quit claimed to him. The deed was recorded in the County of Riverside. I saw the Quitclaim Deed and the signature on it looks perfect. I don't know how this was done.
              Leon has a court case in the Superior Court of Riverside and I just wrote his DA a certified letter informing him about all these fraudulent transfers. I had called this DA before and left messages but never received a return call.
              Leon had stopped answering my phone calls in about August 2009. I was aware of a court date he had in Riverside and I left a message that I would be there on this date to confront him. That night I had 2 slashed tires.
              I like to file a complaint against the DMV in Banning for their negligence and their professional misconduct. I am being told that the DMV offices were privately owned but the Government is overseeing the paperwork.

Could you please advise me how to go about filing a suit or complaint? In the mean time I am technically in possession of a stolen Jeep, I can't drive it or insure it, I can't cash the check the insurance company issued me for the damages, our F-250 is not in our name anymore and Leon is driving it. The F-250 had a hitch in the bed so we could pull our 5-th wheel. Now I have to hire somebody to do this. I can't even get to work. I have contacted just about every agency I could think of and nobody is willing to help me.

Please, Please direct me in the right direction. I am just about ready to loose my mind.

I am looking forward to your response.

Sincerely

Daniella Goldstein
              Tel: [protected]
              mail4.[protected]@gmail.com

Have DMV print-out and original 30-day temporary operating permit as proof.

• Do
                  dozer2025 Nov 02, 2010

DMV didn't rip you off, Leon did. He forged your name on forms and sold his wife your vehichles. You got hosed. Press charges. Its stupid to think DMV just decided to give Leon's spouse your cars to piss you off. Use your head!

Hanford, California DMVname change on license

So, my husband and I married just over a year ago. After I got my name changed legally with SS, I went over the the DMV to get my new license with my married name. I thought, "What the hell, I might as well become an organ donor." So, I added that to my new license. It took forever, and a fortnight to get my card in the mail, but what was most amusing was that the name on the letter had my correct married name, but that the card still contained my maiden name and did not contain the organ donor dot.

*** Note: each time I have visited the DMV in Hanford, the same old lady at station eight has helped me. I have kept record of this.

So, I went back a third time to the DMV in Hanford, and visited lady eight to have my ID corrected. Initially she was trying to get me to pay twenty bucks for a new license. I became irate, but I kept my cool. I spoke to the person in charge and explained that this is not my fault, I have all of the proper paperwork (which incuded the original letter that had my married name and the card that contained my maiden name), and therefore, I should not be charged for a new ID since it was not at all my fault, but the DMV's error. They complied. Oh, and here's the cherry-on-top, she denied servicing me the prior times I was there.

So, I leave happily knowing that they would not possibly screw up again. So, I wait two weeks and finally receive my new License. (Unfortunately, now I have moved due to a military DTY, and I no longer reside in the state of CA, but wish to keep my residency there, because shortly, we will be back in CA.) At this point, I open up the envelope with my new ID and low and behold the donor dot is there, the letter has the correct name on it, but the license still has my former (maiden) name on it!!! How incompetent do you have to be to mess up something like this??!! This is a common event for almost every woman!

Now, here I am, 3500 miles away from this lady at station eight wishing I could walk up to her and say, "remember me? you claimed so boldly before that you did not service my needs, but here, I know for a fact that it was you initially, and it was again you who screwed up a second time!"

I would attach photos for the rest of you to enjoy, but this is sort of personal information that I am not so willingly going to display.

I hope you enjoyed my rantings, and please learn from this:

If ever you have to visit the Hanford, CA DMV, do not, I repeat, DO NOT visit the lady at station eight!

CA DMV — idiots

I failed my first behind-the-wheel driving test. They told me since I'm a minor I will have to wait 2...

DMV Bell Gardens — inappropriate response

While waiting to get my driver's license, went to the restroom, left my purse, came back in and purse...

CA DMV — money stolen

I Had purchased a vehicle out of state in Utah. Upon arriving at the california DMV to get it registered for...

DMVhave gone too far with new regulations!!

I was a travelling nurse last year coming to Salem. I kept my CA driver's license and plates. Then I decided to stay but allowed my license to expire for some dumb reason. So, I hurried to the DMV to get things rectified, as my tags were going to expire at the end of June (08). They sent me packing because their new restrictions on what they can allow for proof of address just went into effect. I am a legitimate renter and have received mail to the address in question.They would no longer accept my rental agreement, most mail, no paycheck stubs. I had to produce some type of bill, or so I thought. So, A couple of weeks later, I finally get my truck bill statement in the mail (I pay online), as it was late in arriving, and went down the second time to get my license switched over...again denied. they wanted a utilitiy bill or credit card statement with my name and address on it. I have no credit cards anymore and all the utlities are in my roommate's name, as he was there before me. They say they are trying to eliminate identity theft. C'mon, DMV, you people are not even trying to help. I need a current ID to work! They have effectively marginalized me for one mistake and their new regulations are giving them an excuse to not help people like me. What do I do now? They want me to take my roommate with me to prove it. He won't go, but I will ask him. This is bad service.

• Updated by ggh9843 · Jul 01, 2019

6/28/2019 I picked up a car from E&C Tow. They failed to send me a letter to notify me that the vehicle was stored in their tow yard. They did not file a lien (even though they charged me). Both the letters were sent out after the vehicle was picked up. They charged me $900 to pick up the vehicle. Please see attached Invoice where i protested.

• Ff
                      Ffarv Nov 05, 2019

I'd like to know who to write to I'm California to complain about the ridiculously high cost of registering a vehicle in this state. It's no wonder people move to other states.

• Gl
                      Gladys BenekeSilva Aug 04, 2019

Why does it take the dmv 6 to 8 weeks to change your address for a placard? I sent in the forms 7 weeks ago and nothing has been done. This is rude and very unethical. Everyone you talk to is rude and tells you to go do a dmv office. I no longer drive and my daughter and granddaughter are the ones that take me to stores, They both work full time.

• Gg
                      ggh9843 Jul 07, 2019

6/28/2019 I picked up a car (Police theft rec.)from E&C Tow. I complained to E&C Towing that I had never been notified of the car being stored. Please see USPS date stamps on the mail. Both docs were mailed after I picked up the vehicle. I wrote my protest on the invoice and they wanted me to sign a new invoice without my protest. I refused.

• Sm
                      smaaol May 22, 2019

Have attempted seven times to simply change my address with the CA DMV. In office, by phone, online, anything. Been a total waste of my time and my tax dollars funding an agency lacking the competency to do even such a simple task.

JoAn Gunn Aug 06, 2008

Wanted to tell you about my experience at the DMV getting my driver's license re-instated.

All the information about me is in their DMV computer complete with a picture of me, but I had to provide:

1. A birth certificate
                      2. A wedding certificate
                      3. Social Security Card
                      4. Mail from a government agency to my address of record.

Now remember, 3 months ago I had a valid driver's license.

It took 5 clerks over an hour to rule that all the documents were legitimate. Then one of the clerks changed the spelling of my name from JO AN to JOAN. Even though my Social Security card had it spelled JoAn. Obviously, it strikes me as odd that the Oregon State DMV would know more about legitimate documents and fraud than the Social Security Administration.

Anyway, the next clerk called my name for my picture. Guess what she said. That's right, Joan, as in “Joan Crawford”.

Gotta love dem bureaucrats!!! After 60 years of being called JoAn, my official Oregon name is now Joan.

CA DMV — rude customer service representatives

Their representatives are acting with arbitrariness when the people come to get their driver licenses or...