Direct TV / trying to make me pay someone elses bill!!!

1 IN, United States Review updated:

I signed up for a verizon/directv bundle for phone, net, dish (U all know the deals) and after receiving a confirmation for installation letter in the mail I waited the 10 days it was supposed to take them to come out. On said day, they never showed so I called to see what the deal was. Apparantly someone who had our phone number before (Remember this is a new number assigned to us by verizon days before) and some previous customer named andrew (Andrew who hmm? I know no andrew's!) owes directv a balance of 200 or so. I ask, how is that my problem.. Of course no logical or reasonable answer, but if I would like to pay this andrew's bill, they'd be glad to come hook us up.. I say why do I need to pay someone elses bill?? It wasnt my problem ol andy didnt pay up. I tell them, no I wont pay, ive never had directv in my life.. We have no dish of theirs, equipment or previous bill... Why oh why do I need to pay of andy's mistakes?? They have no answers either, they just want their money. So to these directv customer services people, I say I work in a customer service office... I dont want to hear your excuses I want results!

Am

Comments

• Cr
      14th of Apr, 2009

I agree I have the same problem that is going on now. I lived with both my mother and father whom raised me for most of my life so when my father fail ill I stepped in to help take care of him so he stayed with me for a while. During this time he setup Directv services for himself under his name and ss# and when he past away back in December the services were shut off. Here it is now five months later and my children wants more high def channels and since I've setup my home phone services and DSL with Qwest I decided to order Directv. Now, this was done with them having run my credit using my name (I am a Jr.), my ss# and because I never had service with them before and my credit was well enough that they offered me the HD DVR equipment for free with no deposit we were up and going!!! But, not for long My children and I came home this evening to find that they had shut us off because of my recently deceased fathers bill and told me because he lived with me at the time that I am responsible for the bill just as stated above but they told me that if I would like to pay my deceased fathers bill, they'd be glad to reconnect me or I would have to be inconvenienced by waiting 24hr for me to get the death certificate, 7-10 business days for it to be received by them through US Mail and another 24-72hrs to get it cleared out. Now, I see why folks told me to go with Dish Network.

5th of Mar, 2011

The exact thing has happened to me. Direct TV approved me for services, came out to connect services, and then stated that I could not get the services unless I paid a bill that belonged to my mother. Her account was in her name and under her SSN. It had nothing to do with me. I am very angry. Direct TV's customer service is awful and I hope that someone/anyone from that company reads this post.

• Tr
      1st of Dec, 2011

I ordered direct tv. Went thru credit check chose package then was told the previous tenent left an outstanding bill that was in collections.and I would have to pay it before I could get service ..I'm not paying a bill that I'm not responsible for. This is crazy