Direct TV / taking money from bank account that was never autherized.

1 Hiram, ME, United States Review updated:
Phone: 207-671-6719

We had been a subscriber to Directv for the past 6 years. We had recently moved and was offered cable TV and went with that and canceled Directv (for numerous reasons). This happened back in October 2010. There ended up being an outstanding balance of 340.00 as of November. The account was in my boyfriend's name and I had made some payments on it with my debit card. I had even made sure that I clicked on the "one time only" payment button when I made the payment online. I had checked my account activity this month (December 2010) and found that Directv debited my bank account for the above amount without any autherization from me. When I called them about this, I was told that if I had made any payemtents using my debit card or credit card that they could take the money out of that account to cover the bill if the service was turned off (I had it disconnected). The fact that the bill wasn't even in my name made no difference, that by paying the bill in the past with my card, i was assentially autherizing them to take the money. Then they proceded to give me a fax number (not a phone number to speak with someone) and told me that I should fax over my bank statement showing this withdrawal!!! I think NOT, they obviously have enough info about my bank. I have been in touch with my bank regarding this and was told DO NOT FAX THE BANK STATEMENT to these people. My bank has begun litigation on my behalf. Hopefully this can be resolved. I only wish that there was a way to get this kind of info easily infront of people considering using Directv.

Comments

• Ha
      8th of Jan, 2011

Fraudulent charge against my debit card account by Directv. Seems to be a pattern with them only in my case I did not owe or authorize the $555 they took on Christmas Eve from my account. After two weeks of back and forth about it all I could find out is that they paid another customer's bill out of my bank account. This customer was several states away and cancelled on Christmas Eve which shows how quickly they act on getting money for a bill without waiting to bill the client. I disputed the charge and got my money but also had hours and days of fighting on the phone with idiotic customer service reps and I cancelled my account. Will never do business with them again. They will be billing me a cancel charge so it is not over but I will die before I pay that.

• Ha
      8th of Jan, 2011

Re: psuguy58's remark;
    I disagree that that person should be responsible for deduction for payment if she did not specifically authorize it. Putting something on their site in tiny print that makes one liable in future, especially where it would not otherwise be expected, would never hold up in court. A customer should understand they are allowing future payments directly from their account. In my instance there was no question as it was not my bill but they seem to take the attitude that if you are able to get your bank to stop it then that takes care of the problem. BTW, I just looked at the site and do not see any fine print when you make a payment that authorizes any future deductions if you designate "one time only". I really wanted to see if it was legally-written since I am a lawyer.