Direct TV / unauthorized deduction

Phone: 1-800-531-5000

I was a cable (Comcast) customer and switched as part of the at&t package bundle promotion. I received several rebates and thought I would be delighted with not having to deal with comcast's sometimes bothersome lack of customer service. Was I wrong! I switched to direct tv and whenever there was a bad storm in my area, I could't watch tv as it would pixelate and/or I would receive messages about receiver errors. I also missed on demand terribly! I called may 2, 2008 and cancelled my account with the billing representative. I signed on with comcast and thought that was the end of it except to wait for the promised boxes to return the equipment in. I received two boxes on july 11, 2008 (Ship date from whse indicated july 10, 2008) and returned all equipment on tuesday, july 15th - - well within the stated seven days on the letter they place in each box that states "important: make sure to return your receiver within seven days of receipt to avoid a charge of up to $470, depending on the type of your receiver. " also, "... Simply follow the steps below to send your old receiver back and avoid any charges. " I called my bank on tuesday, july 15, 2008 (3 business days after receiving the boxes) and direct tv had charged by debit account $758.42!!! Yes! They had my debit on file and charged me not only against their own stated policy of no charge for seven days but also from april to mid-june because they say I didn't cancel with the correct representative! Apparently, my crystal ball wasn't working that morning (Or maybe their representative's aren't well trained) and I was suppose to know somehow that when I said "cancel my account" that it didn't really count because I had to speak with a special person! This company is a joke! I devoted almost the entire day on tuesday trying to sort this out. The first call to direct tv and the representative hung up on me when I insisted on speaking with a billing supervisor. The second representative put me on hold — - eternal hold of 42 minutes before I finally got the hint and decided, hey, I think they are ignoring me!" imagine that! Don't learn the lesson the hard way like I did - - get the hint. Do not do business with this company! I called again (Many times) and finally spoke with a billing representative that promised to take the bill down to $371 (Aren't I lucky) and that charge (Credit?) still hasn't went in but the $758 is still gone. Amazing how that works! They debit and hold the money immediately and the credit is still not in. I called fed-x, they received all of the equipment at the whse and still no credit. Again - do not do business with this company! Consumer beware!

Sj

Comments

• Ke
      17th of Jun, 2010

Please stand up together we can make a right thing
    We will open a campaign to force Direct TV to provide their services to consumers rightful and Direct T V should obey the fed or/and state regulation that should protect consumers. Direct TV, They are running a big scam right now by giving out misleading information and flyers all over Medias. By many and many scams from Direct TV’ false advertisement, wrong billing, poor and incompetent customer service, Unauthorized over charge, cancelation fee and 24 hours only policy for cancelation, Harassing calls, scam selling, roof damage and more to notice. It is ridiculous for consumers that are allowed only 24 hours to cancel the services from the first day installation if consumers are not satisfied.
    We need stand up together to ask our Congress representatives, our senators, our local force law force, our State General Attorney to sent a clear and strong message to Direct TV. We want State and Federal open investigation on all over Direct TV misleading services to our consumers for many years. We should not allow this happen in our society today.
    We will collect all the problems you have, are facing with Direct TV and we will sent letters to all official agencies and Congress. Please have your name and address if applicable.
    Best Regards