Direct TV / customer service / cancellation policy

I knew about the 2 year contract when I signed up for Direct TV; which is why I tried to have their service transfered when I moved into my new apartment. They came to my new apartment to try and set up service there, and they were unable to get a signal. Because there was no way I could physically get any service, I was forced to cancel. Direct TV went ahead and charged the cancellation fee anyway directly to my credit card without my approval. I've argued with them numerous times explaining that its not my fault that they can't get a signal, yet they don't seem to understand.

I'm aware that this type of customer service is common for Direct TV, and therefore would like to file a class action law suit. Is anyone interested? If so, please write me back here, directtvhater@aol.com

T

Comments

• Te
      3rd of Oct, 2008

I understand what your going through. My daughter had a similar experience. No signal where she tried to transfer the service and they took $470 out of her checking account automatically with no warning. Now, she's a single mom with two small kids recently separated from her husband living with me barely making $11.00 an hour as an Licensed Nursing Assistant. When they "stole" the $470 out of her account she virtually had $79 to her name. She also wrote a letter, made three different calls and even was told last by a supposedly "manager" that her understood what she was going through and she would get credited back $440 within 3-5 days from that last call. That was 7 days ago. They are such liars. They have quite a racket going and if you don't pay attention to the fine print, they pretty much have you over a barrel. It's a great thought (idea) about the class action, but given that "fine" print, I'm not sure you would have a leg to stand on. I know it doesn't sound ethical that if they can't provide service to know fault on the customers behave, that you would a) still be obligated to fulfill your obligation or b) be charged these enormous termination fees. I'm not very savvy when it comes to all that legal stuff and certainly don't have the means to consult a lawyer, but if you get other responses and enough people think it's worth a shot, contact me again.

• Pa
      4th of Nov, 2008

count me in... I am in the middle of trying to cancel my service due to defective receiver and poor customer service. I have had three technicians out her and the last one has been here on three different times trying to fix the problem. This have been going on for three months. I called to cancel and they are telling me I have a commitment until 2010. I have threatened to sue them if they don't let me out of the contract. we'll see what happens...