Direct TV / cancellation of service

I have sent over three dozen emails to Direct TV trying to get a cheaper price for the TV package I pay. They have chosen to take the stance that existing customers have to pay higher rates then new customers. Yet they tell you how valued a customer you are. I had them for three years. I cancelled my service after being told that I could not get a new customer rate if I signed a 2 year agreement becasue after the expiration of the old agreement I went to a month to month service. Now they are denying me a storage fee for their equipment. They are also denying me compensation for my time to package up their equipment and sending it back to them. Truth is, I can and will force them to pay. I also have cancelled the card they have on file for me. They can't even charge me for the equipment now. I am easy to get along with but Direct TV has been nothing but difficult from day one.

Comments

19th of Aug, 2008

Been a customer over 7 years. Needed to cancel my service for 4 months while out of town. They charged me a 280.00 termination fee. They said I was under contract because they sent me a replacement box. I signed nothing and was told nothing. Bad Bad Bad company. Anyone wishing to obtain satellite tv should look elsewhere.

Jason Breazeale.

• Me
      26th of Aug, 2008

I cancelled service on 8/22/08 after 7 years as a customer. They now tell me that since I had a broken box replaced recently, $280 is due in cancellation fees. I have asked them to produce my signature to confirm that I extended my contract. I agree that this is a bad company. I have reported them to the Attorney General of my state, and cancelled my credit card so they cannot charge me without my knowledge.

• In
      22nd of Aug, 2009

took me 50 minutes, 6 people to talk and be transferred to, just to discontinue my direct tv. To make it worse, 2 persons I talked to insisted my contract is not yet done because of a replacement receiver done( due to malfunction), and this extended my contract. What??? its a malfunctioning receiver!! and i even have equipment protection/insurance!! After almost an hour of explaining the same situation to 6 different people, i was able to cancel my DTV, and without early cancellation fee (at least, that's what the last person said... I guess we'll find out on the final statement).

15th of Nov, 2010

Nice reply psuguy58. It's no ego trip at all. I actually don't owe them anything. They owe me for storing their equipment and boxing up said equipment. Just like them, my time isn't free. Of course, some [censored] like you probably gives your time away free. So tell me psuguy58, what are you going to do about it> Bring it on, ###. I like fights.

15th of Nov, 2010

Oh, pulling out your Nazi German argument, huh? Good call.

15th of Nov, 2010

So now you are attacking my parents? I bet your parents are proud of a piece of crap like you, [censored]

15th of Nov, 2010

Oh my god, my feelings are so hurt. You have caused me to chance my ways and see the erros of them. I should have just said ### off and left it at that. Seeing how you list yourself as a PSUGUY that tells me all I need ot know about hwo much of an ### you really are.

15th of Nov, 2010

Also [censored], I am proud to say that Direct TV has in fact given me compensation as I asked for them to do.

Now, I bet you feel like what some of us would call an ### but what feels to you as normal.

16th of Nov, 2010

Drugs and alcohol? What a benefit to society you are. Of crouse, nothing that ever came from PSU has ever been a benefit to society. You are from North Carolina, right? I am surprised an inbred like you even knows how to use a computer. Office? Is that what the official term is for making moonshine now these days? You sheep loving hick.

• Mi
      9th of Jan, 2015

Trying to cancel their service after 1 year, with 1 year remaining. The picture quality is horrible during the many rains that we have here in southern louisiana. I work out of the country on short notice so can't really schedule one of there people to come look during a rainstorm, and not sure, contractually, i have to make myself available. They are insisting that i pay out the contract, though at a reduced rate. I don't think that's fair since they are not providing the service they promised in their ads.
    I would never do business again and would advise anyone to stay away. Just read all the thousands on the internet complaint boards about them.