Direct TVfalse advertising

Direct tv said you would get a 200 dollar jetblue giftcard for signing up with direct tv now that I have direct tv they wont give it to me

Ci

Comments

• Pi
      Dec 15, 2008

i ended up getting direct tv, mostly for the kids channels since cox didnt haven them all where we live. direct tv told me my first bill was going to be the normal fee of around $64.99, but after that it would go down to the $34.99 per month that they had been advertising. so, i went to go check my second bill and i was surprised to see that it still had the normal fee on my second bill! i called to speak with a representative and he told me that i had not submitted my redemption forms...whatever those were. no one had said a word to me about those!! apparently they had come with my first bill - i do not remember getting any paperwork with my first bill that needed to be signed and sent back. of course i complained, but that accomplished nothing and he said there is nothing he can do other than electronically submit the forms...which he did in 5 seconds. so now im still being billed twice the advertised amount because i had not submitted these "redemption forms" that no one had told me about. im wondering if this is just a gimmick for them to collect more money. im not happy about this one bit!

Mar 23, 2009

Advertising said "FREE Installation!"
    Each monthly bill says, "You have agreed to pay $24.99 per month for your package of programs and 5.99 for rental of the DVR (Digital Video Reciever) for a period of 18 consecutive months."

Reality is that they charge $21.43 for "shipping and handling" of the satellite dish parts.

Then you find that you get not 18 months at the agreed upon price, but only 12. Then the charge goes up to $53/month.

• La
      Mar 23, 2009

We were placed in a bundle with verizon which linked us to direct tv. We were assured that when we moved we would stay bundled and that service was available. After we moved into outr new house, verizon lied and said that they were now unable to provide service. Now we are stuck in this 2 year agreement with Direct TV. Does anyone know about a class action suit against Direct TV for these crazy early cancellation charges?

Apr 27, 2009

We signed up for DirectTV in January. THe flier that was in our mailbox says we get local HD Channels, we do not. We didn't even get NBC or CBS in regular quality. After several complaints to DirectTV, they charged us two dollars and some cents a month for NBC (regular quality) when it should have been free with the package we chose. We kept our service for several months to see if we could be happy without those channels, and we are not. When I called to cancel our service, they said that by installing our equipment and activating our service we agreed to a one year service agreement and since we are canceling early we have to pay a 160 dollar cancellation fee. We would not be canceling if we had received the service we were led to believe we were getting. It is ridiculous that a company can falsely advertise and then charge a cancellation fee when the consumer decides that she is not getting the service she is paying for.

• Ge
      May 09, 2009

I live in the wauregan where they say metropolitan satellite services the building! it is a lie they say that just to get you to move in! when I moved in 1 year ago I only knew of comcast cable witch is also a rip off!when I found out about direct tv I was so happy until i found out it ws a lie!when I call metopolitan satellite 1 lie after another!I want to get an attorney and sue!what are my optionsd as a tennent of the wauregan!

• Ge
      May 16, 2009

i agree metro is a scam!they promise but they dont deliver!

Jul 01, 2009

Worst service I have ever dealt with. people are rude, treat you as if you are dummy. They quote you one price and it ends up being way more. they add charges that you never agreed to. when you try to solve the problem they just tell you TOUGH CRAP YOU ARE STUCK WITH US. That is some way to do business . I would never recommend Direct tv to my worst emeny.

• Fa
      Jul 01, 2009

We got Direct TV and they did not tell us, after we signed a 2 year contract, that it would be $5.00 per TV hookup raising our bill by $15.+ per month. I went a head and cancelled within a year of end of service and paid the fine. It was worth it getting away from them.

• Su
      Jul 16, 2009

I ordered over the phone HD cable TV. It was installed on 5/27/2009. I was told that I would receive a promotional rate of $54 and some cents. I asked two different times for a paper bill and a 3rd time today for a paper bill. I was told my bill was $151.00, not the promotional rate of $54. for 12 months. After the first 2 requests for a paper bill, I called again today making my 3rd request for a paper bill. I was told I had to go on the internet and file my "rebate" request with the "rebate" department. " Direct TV refused my email address. When I called in today, they told me I had to pay $75. a month until they were able to start the "54.rebate." Previous call to them told me that I didn't do what they told me to do. Asked for supervisor and he told me "you have to go on line to get the rebate." Until this was approved, I would continue to have to pay the $75. a month. Since I never received any paper bills I requested twice, I asked for them to refund my first payment of $75. that I used my ATM card for. They did return the $75. credit to my account. However, they continued to charge the $75 a month which I have not paid, as I intend to contact every consumer protection resource I can find for help. I also contacted my bank to block any charges to my credit card.

I was never told about the details of my starting their service. Such as having to go on line to get my "rebate." I told them I ordered my service over the phone, and why would I have to go to the website. They kept saying "you have to go online for your rebate." I also told them I would not tolerate such devious practices. I was then told "you have the option to cancel, but there will be charges, but I was not told what they would be. I am at this time looking for another cable TV service.

• Mo
      Jul 18, 2009

have you not read any of the fine print for their adds?

• La
      Aug 04, 2009

This exact same thing happened to me. I owned my equipment so I just paid and cancelled. BEWARE: Direct TV finds ways to scam you on your bill. It wasn't like this when I first got Direct TV a few years ago but it's gotten really bad. I signed up again late last year and everything was great - until I got my bill two months later. I was being charged double what I signed up for. I called and was told I had never filled out my rebate form. Rebate form??? No one EVER mentioned that when I signed up! I would have went to their site and done it ASAP. I knew nothing about it! They wouldn't budge so I cancelled.

I signed up again at the end of May. Everything was gone over carefully. $38.99/month after rebates and credits. I went online and did the rebate as soon as I got off the phone. I get my bill - it's for $98.59! I figure the rebates haven't kicked in so I wait. Next bill, same. I call. Spend OVER AN HOUR on the phone to be told that because the first month was a PARTIAL MONTH BY THREE DAYS NO REBATES OR CREDITS APPLY!!! I was charged $98.59 for the first month. I NEVER, EVER WOULD HAVE SIGNED UP if I knew that. I would have waited for the next billing cycle. I was told the BEST they could do was take off $35 for the premium cable channels I was supposed to get for FREE. The whole rebate/credit thing is a SCAM. The Better Business Bureau needs to get involved. Direct TV is fleecing customers.

Sep 11, 2009

August 8th I saw a Direct TV commercial on TV and decided to call to see if Direct TV could beat Comcasts price because my husband had been laid off from work and TV is the only entertainment we can afford at the present time. My husband said I want to keep all of the same features that we have with comcast.

I called 1-800-DirectTV and spoke to Michael. I explained to him my situation and asked him for a price for a package the same as we had with Comcast which was.
    Digital Cable Channels, including local channels
    A DVR for the master bedroom
    HD service on our two HDTV’s, one in the living room and one in our son’s bedroom
    Showtime Movie Channel

Michael said we could have the same package as our comcast package for $73.98 a month for 12 months and then would go up to $93.98. I reiderated with Michael that I would be receiving the same package that I had with Comcast and he said yes. I said I need you to tell my husband the same before I sign up and give you my credit card number. He said ok and he told my husband also that the package would be exactly the same as what we had with Comcast. We scheduled the install for Aug 13th. When the install was finished and the service man brought in the receivers my husband asked about the HD and was told there was no HD service included in our order. I came home from work at this time and I called Direct TV. I spoke with a man named Matt. He was very nice and said he would talk to his supervisor and I was on hold for about 15 minutes. When he came back to the phone he said his supervisor ok’d the two HD receivers at no additional charge and read back to me what he noted on my account. “Customer to receive 2 HD receivers and will not be charged for them” and told me someone would call me in a few days to set up a new appointment to install the boxes and change the dish to an oval dish. No one ever called so in a week I called. I was told that there was no mention on our account regarding 2 HD receivers, only the DVR receiver and I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that I could not speak to a supervisor. I thought ok I’ll just wait until they call. No one ever called.

Today Sept 11th I thought I’ll call Direct TV. The person I spoke with was in New Mexico. She had no record of any account for me. She was very nice and dug and dug to find some information and finally found my account and said it had been cancelled. Great.

She suggested I call sales and start over again and explain the situation. I spoke to Frank C. in Los Angeles his employee ID number is 36216. He was extremely nice, he set up a new account and then put me through to a supervisor named Michael to talk about the 2 HD boxes. I explained the whole situation to Michael. He said I understand and we can do this but I cannot alter your order I have to put you through to a AP Sales Person who can do that. I said Michael is he going to know that I’m not to be charged for the 2 HD boxes or the DVR box? He said “yes he’ll know the whole spiel”. When this AP person came on the line he didn’t know one single thing about what I was talking about. I then called Direct TV again to cancel my order. The woman was very nice and she put me through to her supervisor. This person was very cold towards me. I tried explaining to him and he just said no but you should change to Direct TV because even though you won’t have HDTV you’ll still be saving money over Comcast.
    I said that’s not the point. Do I want to do business with a company that continually refuses to keep their promise? One person to another has no idea what’s going on? I gave them the employees name, location and employee ID number and they said still there’s no way they can contact that person to verify anything they had said? What kind of business is Direct TV? Comcast costs more but in over 20 years they have never lied to me. How do I know that 2 months into my contract with Direct TV that they won’t renig on other promises?

So I was promised not once, not twice, but three times that I would receive the 2 HD boxes and DVR box at no additional charge and no one will honor their promise and there’s no way to recontact with the person who promised. Yet all telephone coversations are recorded.

I understand that the offer is one premium box with a new order but that’s not what I was originally told. We do not have boxes with Comcast in order to have HD and I was never told there was a box involved in having HD on those two TV’s and that both TV’s would be receiving HD.

I’ve been with Comcast for over 20 years, I can stay with them for another 20 years. Tell me just what kind of company Direct TV is? I certainly do not understand how they operate.

• De
      Sep 21, 2009

How I wish I had read these complaints before I signed up with Directv! I signed up on August 30, 2009 and was told I had 30 days to cancel before a 24 month contract went into effect. Our service has been terrible. Constant interuptions, bad picture quality and none of the main channels ( NBC, CBS, ABC or Fox). When I called yesterday to cancel I was told I would have to pay for the 24 months and that there was never a cancellation policy. They are right, it is not in the paperwork I signed and at the moment I don't know who I am angrier at: Directv for lying, lying, lying, or myself for believing them. Choose cable and save yourself a lot of grief.

• Sy
      Nov 02, 2009

direct tv technician showed up with two receivers instead of a dvr and when i call them they said we have to charge you $180.00 to send you a dvr and we will reimburse you which they did not.

• Ga
      Nov 02, 2009

nice good, agree!

---------------------------
    offer shoes, clothes, bag, wearing with good price
    you can get a free website here and earn money, work at home get profits
    www.topfinesupplier.com www topfinesupplier .com

• Ci
      Jan 24, 2010

I had the same promise but for a gift card for Visa. I called DTV when it did not arrive but they said it was promised by the DISTRIBUTOR of DTV, the sales people they outsource so they were not resp for it. You have to keep the contact person of the sales dept who sold you your contract. and like It said it is usually a dif company. So I did and they did send me the card I was promised. that sales person also said I could downgrade from the larger special NFL pakg I got for the first 5 months anytime before that 5 month deal ended. WRONG! Just bait to get you in. DTV said that could not happen and I had to finish out my 5 month price and THEN downgrade. There should be more regulation on the distributors they hire to sell contracts. Just know there is a difference and they can say anything they want to lure you in but DTV will not honor it. BE CAREFUL and call DTV about these offers BEFORE you sign with the Dist company. Those are the ones running ads all over the net.

• Ls
      Feb 16, 2010

Was with another sattelite co and was getting calls daily to rejoin Direct tv. Could get our local with the other company. Direct promised we would be paying a lower price monthly and we would also be able to get our locals with them. When we switched our bill was 40.00 more and we could not get locals. after doing 2 waivers and much complaining they gave us 5.00 a month for a couple months. we are still getting the run-around. they have apoligized. I believe this is false advertising!

• In
      Mar 09, 2010

This company offered a introductory price for their service of 34.99 per month for the first 12 months. The second 12 months was for 59.99 per month. They have not honored their agreement. I have been billed for the whole 59.99 for the whole 24 month period. I have been paying this bill since October 2009. I have called repeatedly and was told (after the fact) that I had to sign up for a “rebate”. I went online numerous times and could not get to the webpage I was informed about. Recently, I called again. I was told that I had to do this within 90 days of signup. They said I was warned by mail & email. This is rubbish! Nothing came. I asked them to give me the rebate now (in accordance with the promised 34.99 per month), but I was refused. There is something wrong with this company. No bill is sent; just an email requesting payment by credit card. I believe this company is running some kind of scam; they never had any intention of honoring this agreement.

• Do
      Apr 16, 2010

I signed up with direct tv on your special of 34.99 plus 5.00 insurance for one year.
    I have paid 60.98 upon reception and, finally realized that I was overpaying.
    My requests were ignored so I have discontinued your service, but am still being billed.
    I feel you have a scam to allure clients then overcharge them.
    I refuse to pay this bill; and would gladly talk to someone to resolve this situation.
    Ubtl then I have paid for your service and discontinued your service.
    Domenic LaFazia

• Mi
      Jun 05, 2010

I signed up for Direct TV. Was told what a wonderful company they are and congraduations for signing up with them. Scheduled my free installation. Installer comes out and informs me that I will have to pay $60.00 for my "FREE" installation!!!

• 3m
      Jun 27, 2010

Received a couple of fliers in the mail advertising what looked like pretty good deals. I called and talked to representative who assured me that we would receive at least the same channels we were getting from dish, along with some updated equipment.
    Extremely confusing information regarding the 'rebates' that would be applied monthly. Refused to comply with their perk of another rebate offered for referral. Flier stated no fee for installment, yet we were billed for installment. After the installation, we began watching our 'new' channels only to find that we were not getting the same thing we had with dish. Stupid me, signed a two year required contract with this rip-off company. Reception is very poor, picture is frequently breaking up - which did not happen with dish. Looks like a long unhappy two year relationship with direct t.v. The cost to get out of the contract is horrendous!
    Wise up folks - don't fall like we did for this phony 'good deal' you pay a pretty hefty price in the end.

• Kl
      Feb 21, 2011

I have had Direct TV for several years and only because there is no other TV service in my remote area. I have had multiple billing errors with this company. I was offered free premium channels and then was charged for them. I was told I would be credited back but must pay that bill or they would send it to collections. I then did not receive a credit for 8 weeks which is their policy. I was promised a free movie and then was told I would get in the mail a certificate in 3 months. I relocated and was told Direct TV had no service in my area and that it the wait would be months. They did find another contract worker in a month to set up the system and I was told that I would get that month free. I was billed for it and when I refused to pay, they threatened collections. I have been told multiple times that a manager would return my call and none ever did. I also have slow internet in my remote area and cannot access their website due to their highly graphical site so I must order movies by phone and am charged an additional fee even though it is automated! Do not get service from Direct TV if there are other options. I would recommend this company to no one.