Direct TV / billing of unauthorized charges, poor customer service

I had Direct TV for almost 9 years and decided to choose another provider due to cost. When I called today to cancel my service with Direct TV they gave me a hard time to cancel and then told me I would have a $250.00 cancellation fee. They state I am under contract for 18 months. Funny been with them for almost 9 years and I am still under contract. So now they (stated by phone) are charging my bank card I have on file and couldn't supply me with the exact amount for charges. I looked at my account today and noticed that I have over $500.oo of charges pending on my checking account. Who has the right to authorize that much money from my bank account with out my permission. I called Direct TV's customer service 2 more times for an explanation. The second phone call I was put on hold for a long period of time and hung up on. The third time I was told someone else would have to help me and call me back (They still has yet to call back.) So now I emailed them through their contact site. Now it even upsets me more as now they are telling me the cancellation fee is $260.00, ten dollars more than when I originally cancelled this morning. I asked why I still have not received an email as promised showing my cancellation and charges. They couldn't give me a reason. I doubt I will get the email as they still don't seem concerned. But now I am givin a reason why I am getting cancellation fees after being a loyal customer for almost 9 years. They state in December when my old receiver I paid for not leased went out started my new contract for 18 months. The lady I spoke to to order a new receiver that cost around $70.00 stated that since my were old she would send me receivers to replace my old ones. I only needed one receiver but she sent two. I wasn't charged the $70.00 for each receiver but only around $25.00. I thought she was being nice since I was a long time customer. But I was wrong, this is where I was being ripped off and I didn't realize it. Since she did not charge me I was put on contract for 18 months. Funny how I didn't know until I went to cancel. So I could have paid $70.00 for one receiver that I needed at the time or now pay $250.00 which a few hours later increased to $260.00 to cancel my long time service. She should have explained this to me and the fact that I was going to be put on contract again. I had already planned at the time to cancel in April when my internet expired with another company. I wanted to bundle my services to make them cheaper but I am finding out that you have to pay to cancel even after being with the company for almost 9 years. I am still waiting for a response to find out how much more my charges will be after I seen that pending charge over $500.00 on my bank account. Funny as I am not even behind on my payment to them and my bill is around $75.00 a month. What else can they be charging me? As for their customer service, it sucks! I was put on hold and disconnected and another time told someone else would call me back. Only time I could get some answers were when I emailed. Guess they can't handle customers on the phone. I guess they assume I wouldn't come back as a customer so they need to get all the money out of me now while have a chance! Sad as now after treating me this way, I will never go back to them!

Comments

• Re
      13th of May, 2009

Using your aparent favorite phrase "FUNNY" you didnt look at the access card that said by activating this you agree to the terms of the directv service (that means the commitment and directv customer agreement). "FUNNY" because you got a order conframation of the two receivers letting you know that they were LEASED with a commitment. "FUNNY" because directv sends all of their customers copies of the directv customer agreements, in this agreement it states that ah ### I will just go to the website and get it word for word for you this is straight from the directv customer agreement in section 5 the cancellation policy,
    e) Payment Upon Cancellation. You acknowledge that you have provided your credit or debit card account information to us. You understand that you will incur fees and charges as a result of your receipt and use of Service and/or Receiving Equipment, and may incur early cancellation fees and/or equipment non-return fees (as specified in any lease, programming or other service commitment agreement you entered into in connection with obtaining Receiving Equipment). By giving us your credit or debit card account information, you authorize us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to satisfy any and all amounts due upon cancellation. You further acknowledge that you are required to maintain current credit or debit card information with us and agree to notify us whenever there is a change in such information, such as a change in the card number or the expiration date.
    AND I think that it was really nice of them to get you two new receivers, instead of just one, because your other one was probably on the verge of going out too, since we all know how fast things like that can get outdated.
    But I know, I understand who wants to take personal accountabilty for not paying attention to anything they get in writting. It is so much eaiser to blame someone else, just like we did when we were in kindergarden. GROW UP. You need to educate yourself and read stuff that companies send you, read everything, or you only have yourself to blame, remember when you point your finger you have three pointing back at you

• Di
      6th of Jun, 2010

realist are you a Direct TV advocate? Perhaps you signed an agreement such as what is stated above, but I never did, nor can Direct TV provide me with a copy of said signed contract. I cancelled my service in April 2010. Direct TV had actually come out to my house to repair my service and the repairman told us we really should cancel directtv as we were going to have the same recurring problems due to neighborhood buildup. I promptly contacted another provider to set up service. Then called Direct TV to cancel. They told me they would send me a recovery kit in the next couple of weeks to return my boxes. I never received the recovery kits and all of a sudden what do you know same thing as above a $500 charge against my bank account. I called and they claim they fed-exed me one in April. I never received such a kit, nor can they provide me with a tracking #. Note that I would have been more then happy to return the equipment to them myself in my own packaging, but they offered to send the kit. I can understand Direct TV charging people's accounts if they have not paid a bill, or it has been months and months and the person has not returned equipment. It is in my opinon that they hit your bank account right away as they know they most likely aren't going to be able to do anything with the used equipment as the technology is most likely out of date. I can't speak for other states, but in my state is illegal to charge someone's bank account, and or debit card unless and electronic agreement has been signed. I never signed such and agreement, nor would I sign an agreement like that. Direct TV knows they have done something shady because I rejected the first $500 charge they put through and the next day they sent another payment through for $501, and what do you know the recovery kit finally showed up the very next day after they made the debit to my account. A professional business would send a bill and make sure the consumer was aware of what final charges they would be debiting. When I cancelled they couldn't tell me what my final amount owed was and then a few weeks later blindly charged me the $500 bucks. The only reason they have my debit card on file is that I often paid my bill this way. They didn't ask for any bank, or credit card information when I joined, just my name, social and address. Not sure why you had to sign something as you have indicated you did, but get your head out of your butt and realize all states have different laws that pertain to such types of practices and not everyone might have had the same agreements that you were stupid enough to sign. The customer service at Direct tv is horrible and you sound just like one of the ignoramous people they might be using to mann the phones.

• Un
      22nd of Oct, 2010

I am actually not even the account holder and they are drafting out of my account because the account holder used my card to pay a bill at one time. I am choosing to go with a consumer watch national program through CNN because of the numerous complaints the better business bureau has received on this same issue.