Direct Energy / gas renewal contract

1 19 Martinbrook Cres.RR2 Shanty Bay, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 705-728-1719

With the blessing of the Ontario Energy Board, Direct Energy is offering a 58% hike in my natural gas rate. I f I decline the offer without notice, Direct Energy says they will automatically renew my contract at a increase of 78%!
Some mouthpiece from OEB called to say "they" do not regulate prices and I could decline the contract and return to Enbridge gas, also at a hike in the 50% range, some deal!
The average Joe is getting taken for a huge ride with these outrageous increases. Where are the advocates for comsumer protection? Enbridge, Direct Energy, the OEB, they are all bed buddies.
You may as well add Hydro One to the mix as they are bandits cut from the same cloth.

Comments

• Io
      22nd of Feb, 2009

Just like many people in this forum I had agreed to a 1 year contract with DE that was automatically renewed at price 44.9c per cub.m. I see a long legal battle ahead, but what can I do when I have to buy gas at this price during the winter season. I’ve found the best solution!The price of heating at 44.9 c per cub.m. is more expensive than the price of heating your house by electricity. Turn on your electrical heaters and watch how low your gas bill will become(but electricity bill will be higher). The most enjoyable thing in this solution is watching DE profit goes down.

• Ro
      15th of Jun, 2010

I can't assist in all cases where consumers are encountering problems with Direct Energy, but if you entered into a natural gas supply contract with Direct Energy / Enbridge Home Services in Ontario around 2002, and your contract was renewed without your consent, I've set up a free website (directenergyrefunds.blogspot.com) showing you how you can potentially claim a very large refund from Direct Energy, as I've done.