Direct Buy / Poor Business Practices

1 Memphis, TN, United States Review updated:

I am a former empoyee of Direct Buy of Memphis, TN I worked at this location for many years. Let me just say that I am so very glad that I have been let off the roller coaster!! The emotional distress that I went through from the owners and managers cursing, yelling, sexual comments and so much more unprofessional behavior was so overwhelming. I was fired because I would not disclose personal information about a member that I had befriended. I also would not sell a membership to an elderly woman on an oxygen tank.
I did experience some people who saved alot of money. These people were buiding houses around 8, 000-12, 000 square feet and buying a great deal of merchandise. For those of us who live in a more conservative home and do not purchase thousands of dollars worth of merchandise a year furnishing those home, we will not save a dime. Actually, if you are a very savvy shopper, you will pay more at Direct Buy than you would doing a little research. The membership costs thousands of dollars and that only "allows" you access for two years. After that, there is an additional yearly fee for up to five years. After the five years, if you still believe you are saving money, you can re-join all over again.
I am absolutely floored by the number of people who actually believe this is a wise investment.
With all of that said, even if you do save money on a couple of purchases, you can not see the items before you purcahse, only pictures in catalogs. You will wait several months to receive your items and you will be treated like a child in the process.

Comments

• Di
      19th of May, 2009

Thanks for doing what is right. It took a lot of courage for you to share your experiences with DirectBuy in hopes of saving others from their slimy grip. I can't imagine getting fired for having a moral backbone.
    If you hear of anyone who wants retribution:
    Help spread the word...
    A Federal Class Action lawsuit against DirectBuy has been filed by Izard Nobel LLP. Contact information is as follows
    Lead Attorney - Jeff Nobel
    email - jnobel@izardnobel.com
    toll free phone# - (800) 797-5499
    Please contact them so justice may prevail & we can get our hard earned money aka "membership fees" back.

• Uh
      26th of May, 2009

I am really glad to hear a former employee come forward with the truth about this company. I am very fortunate I listened to my gut and didn't join, the more I learn about Direct Buy the more I can't believe they are still in business. Some people may have saved money with them but I don't see how, people making large purchases on merchandise would be given a bulk discount with a local company without having to pay thousands of dollars for a fake membership. How is this company still allowed to do business? I hope they get shut down, I am doing all I can to get them out of Tucson.