Complaints & Reviews

poor ordering communicatin

I was very excited to use the new direct buy. I had communicated on several occasions with Cheyenne about my...

fraud and scam

My parents were recently held hostage at Direct Buy for over 8 hours, not allowed to go to the bathroom, and...

sales pressure - rude

I was invited to an open house, and told I could possible win $50, 000, and get two free gifts just for...

scam artists

I'm ashamed to say that I ever worked for this company. They are a scam from the very first contact call...

bad experience

My wife and I went to a DirectBuy warehouse tonight after being invited to attend an open house. The center manager was a really friendly and personable guy from Missouri (the show-me state). We both signed in, received a name badge and were introduced to our "host" who was the center manager's son-in-law. He interviewed us and we shared with him that we were remodeling and would be purchasing carpet, tile, windows, kitchen and bath appliances. He said DirectBuy would be able to save us money and seated us in a room with a TV monitor. There were two other couples in the room and the meeting started out with a seven minute informercial on what DirectBuy does - in short, they claim to save money by bypassing the local retailer and purchasing direct from manufacturer - the proposition sounds cool (emphasis on the word "sounds").

The center manager speaks for a while, shows us another video and then proceeds to show us a wall of products covered with post-it notes. Each product has two post-it notes with a suggested retail price shown and the DirectBuy price underneath. They showed us furniture, washing machines, pots and pans, vacuums, mattresses etc. The DirectBuy price offered averaged 20-50% less according to the center manager. BUT, I wrote down a few prices and the magic ended when I researched the first item, a 46" Sony Bravia - the manufacturer's retail price matched DirectBuy's example - MRP $2799 but the actual DirectBuy price of $2251 was still more than my local Circuit City's price, $2099. The second item was a 21.8 cu. ft. refrigerator - the manufacturer's retail price matched DirectBuy's example - MRP $2299 but the DirectBuy claimed price of $1419 was lower than the $1900 retail price shown on the internet. The third item was a Jacuzzi - we were particularly interested in that one since we had priced them two days ago at all the local retailers. DirectBuy's price of $1131 was blown away by Lowe's price of $974. [Note that we didn't know the prices on the TV and refrigerator at the time we were at DirectBuy's office but when we we did know the price of the Jacuzzi] Needless to say, the Jacuzzi sowed some seeds of doubt in the process. And it got worse from there...

After the price game, the TV was switched on again and we were treated with a list of DirectBuy member rules (if we were to join). "Be nice to retailers, don't leverage DirectBuy prices against retailers, blah blah blah and then we got to rule #6. Rule #6 is a slick sales tactic that says, You can only decide to join DirectBuy right now. If you said no today, then it was no forever. DirectBuy said it was to protect their retailers. . . you decide. Not good. But not the end of the world. Maybe they are committed to making me happy. So I asked, about their written Customer Satisfaction Policy - "What happens if I am unhappy with my DirectBuy membership". The answer was that they don't have a satisfaction policy as to your membership. However, they will replace a defective product (well, so will Sam's Club). In my mind, I am thinking - they want me to decide RIGHT NOW and they won't guarantee my happiness. Bummer, could it get any worse? The answer is yes because they finally revealed their membership fee - $4500 for two years. And guess what, they want the $4500 today. In DirectBuy's defense, they did offer 10% down and they would finance the rest with no satisfaction guarantee.

Additional fees revealed by DirectBuy in their example was a $110 delivery fee (based on $70-90 per hour delivery rates) and a "handling fee" which worked out to a little under 9% in their example. The concept of buying at cost is a compelling one - I really would like to buy at cost, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of. So, I figured out a win-win for this bad situation which I offered up to the DirectBuy sales team (the center manager and the son-in-law) I would generate a list of what I wanted to buy with dimensions, stock numbers etc. and they could give me an aggregate price (so they would not have to disclose confidential manufacturer prices). If their aggregate price justified the membership fee, I would join. Not only did they turn me down, but they started getting smartass and asked where I had priced out my Jacuzzi - I told them Lowe's and Home Depot and the son-in-law said, "that explains it - we can't compete against the big box home improvement retailer".

Well that's my experience - The handshake was good as was the soft drink (did I mention they had free soft drinks). And they started out by being very nice.

I would recommend checking them out for yourself ... maybe you will have as much fun as I did.

• Ri
    Ricardo Dec 10, 2008

• Br
    Brick Jan 21, 2009

I just love reading how aweful people's experiences have been. How do I know that? Cause I use to be the one doing the sales pitch and pressuring unsuspecting, bright-eyed consumers that want a "bargain". Has anyone wondered what the business does with that 9% "handling fee?" I do. I'm upset at direct buy, but not from a consumers stand point. I leverage direct buy against the retailers all the time and it works about 75% of the time. I have felt guilty about the "truths" that I told to get people to join. The company calls it fluffing which they deem is not lying. I was part of the Direct buy family when it was UCC then UCC totalhome. Some things have changed, for the worse I see with the numbers people are ranting about. I truly do advise people not to join and also advise them to spread the word. The people in the infomercials probably represents about less than 1/2 of a percent of the total membership that has saved that much money. Its called marketing and now the are even doing pop-up on the computer. I have personally talked atleast 2000 people out of joining Directbuy over the last 5 years. I'm in an industry now where I'm speaking to a large group of people on a regular basis where consumer habit is usually brought up. I don't go out of my way to negatively talk about DB, but most of the time DB is brought up. When that happens, I tell them my first hand knowledge of the company. There is so much people don't know about DB and I'm hoping to help others. If some people are upset with the first hand knowledge that I have obtained, then you should have treated me better.

Anonymous Jan 22, 2009

I have to agree with Brick. I too am a former DBer. The 'High Pressure/Hard Sell B/S' at DB starts at Corporate with it's Franchisees, who trickle it down to their Centers.

Corporate likes to feed it's Franchisees with the thought that they're 'helping families to a better life style', when in fact they are putting them through a maze of burning hoops, to justifying the enormous amount of money they've charged them. The Franchisees assume that they're getting the best Boot Camp Training, since their life is made a living hell. Unfortunately 'The Originals' who made their money 'back in the day' and created this Company, never had any Business Training or any previous success at anything for that matter. They bought into the top of the pyramid. They remain stuck in 1980 mentality and still take money out of Franchisees pockets as 'Consultants'. Unfortunately, most of them don't fit a Mentor role, and are far beyond the age where their counsel is worth anything. That being said, when DB was sold last year, all remained on board Part Time, training and developing new Franchisee hopefuls, in the school of 'back in the day'.

The DB 'Now or Never' buying system would continue to work if it were still 1980, but Consumers are much more savvy these days. The laws are tightening, as the Federal Class Action suit filed against DB in Connecticut will attest to.

Unfortunately for DB, I have to agree with the Consumer. In these uncertain economic times, I have to think about a Membership before parting with that kind of money up front. In these hard times, DB has lost a tremendous amount of Manufacturers in 2008 alone. Who can predict how many will be left by the end of the year?

Directbuy continues to defraud the Public with fictitious websites attesting to how fabulous they are. In Directbuy's efforts to suppress all the negative Complaints on the Internet, they have hired 2 different Companies to create these websites such as 'The Truth about Directbuy. com", in an effort to establish an algorithm that will put true complaints on Page 2, rather than Page 1. They're banking, or should I say hoping, that Consumers won't read beyond the first page of the Search. These 2 Companies specialize in surpressing bad internet reviews, and actually create blogs to throw Consumers a curve ball.

In regard to handling fees, Guests were told that "They always paid that in retail. DB is just up front about itemizing your costs." Directbuy misleads Guests into believing that they make "No money off the merchandise". The Class Action suit is going to expose the truth about the Handling Fee, as well as the rebates that have been kept. In a statement issued from DB, "The rebates went to help our Members". I interpret that to mean they kept the money, unless they've managed to create a bogus Foundation dedicated to helping their Members.

If you want out of your contract, there are 2 ways: 1) Hire an Attorney to write a letter for you. DB is afraid of lawsuits.
    2) File a Complaint with The Attorney General's office in your state. The AG keeps a log on complaints, and will begin an investigation if there are too many.

DB worked in the 70's when buying co-ops were 'all the rage'. Consumers have more options than ever before, and those who have the good fortune to make major purchases, can get a better deal than DB can offer.

Employees at my Center were over worked on the Service side, and on the Sales end pressured and even emotionally abused. They have however, the luxury of leaving and going on to a more honest environment.

To quote John Irving..."It's a good job to lose".

Help spread the word...
    A Federal Class Action lawsuit against DirectBuy has been filed by Izard Nobel LLP. Contact information is as follows

• Wl
    WLR Mar 07, 2010

We went through the exact same thing yesterday! I couldn't wait to see what the price of the membership was because the video's that played endlessly throughout the store were leading up to something really big! Their membership $5790 for 3 years in Canada!

• Ea
    Easynan Apr 18, 2010

Another scammed client of DiectBuy looking for a way out. I've already paid over $7000 and now they expect another $217 a year and so far I haven't bought a thing from them as I have always found it cheaper elsewhere. Like so many others we will just have to eat it and pass it off to experience.

• Nd
    ndbndb Jan 07, 2011

How can I get my $5000 back as I never bought a thing here after my 3 years membership.What a scam!

• Nd
    ndbndb Jan 07, 2011

Any way of getting my $5000.00 membership fee back?

excessive time/unprofessional support

We ordered furniture in September and were told 6-8 weeks. We did not get a call about the furniture being...

bad membership business!!!

This firm is a definite High Pressure, one chance only Sell for Direct Buy Shopping Discounts. Everything is secret, and they do not even let you look at pricing until you pay. (Although at other locations I have heard people are allowed to see pricing before they purchase.) What they offer makes sense, but in actuallity I tried to purchase furniture, appliances, and flooring through them. They usually could not get what I wanted and said they had comparable to purchase. I don't think it's a bargain if I'm not getting what I really wanted. Other times when they could get the items I wanted, the cost was much more than I could get it locally without shipping costs even being considered or the time inconvenience.

I had problems from day one and wanted out, and they ignored me and did not return calls. When I tried to address the problems in person I was given the run around, told they would get back to me, or totally ignored. This was a major loss to the tune of almost $5000!!! It was all I could do to bite my tongue one night and stop another couple from being talked into a loan to join TODAY or they could never join later. It was exactly the same reasons as we were presenting!!!

After 18 months someone finally did contact me to tell me they were going to try to work things out, but it has now been over 4 more months - nothing has been done - everything is someone elses fault - and they still do not return calls.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS FIRM in Farmington, Michigan. As I check into them, some of the offices are very good, open to questions, and have great customer service - the the Farmington, Michigan location is terrible!!!

thrown out of direct buy show room

We are in the middle of adding a second story to our house. We saw the advertisement of Direct Buy on TV and...

membership open house experience

Our personal experience with a DirectBuy Open House in Knoxville, TN My wife and I went to a DirectBuy...

total rip-off

Direct Buy gets you to sign up and pay thousands of dollars for a membership promising discounts on big ticket items. In reality, you can get just as good or better deals by shopping around and you will NEVER recoup the huge fee you paid upfront. I found out that they have bought up or created websites with reviews that you find when you google them to make you thnk that most people are happy with their services, but if you dig deeper you will find many, many complaints about the company.

• Uh
    uh-huh May 26, 2009

Good news! a class action lawsuit has been filed! Spread the word, here is the information: lead attorney is Jeff Nobel his email is [email protected], phone# (800) 797-5499. Good Luck! let's get them shut down!

• Pd
    pdbowl Aug 10, 2009

I totally agree. You get the orientation after the 3 days allowed to pull out of a contract. Then you find out about all the fees and everything you buy must go to their warehouse and you must pay additional money to have it delivered. I hate Direct Buy. I live in PA. Can I be apart of the class action suit. I will email Jeff Nobel and ask the question.

fraud and cheating

Planning on remodeling my Florida kitchen, I paid the high price of joining DirectBuy in 2006 based on promises that I would save at least $5, 000 on kitchen cabinets. I spent 8-10 hours each week for several months in their showroom going through catalogs and working with their kitchen design “expert”.

There was a 3 week wait for a price update every time the design was modified to try to reduce the price. I wasted 7 months trying to get something within my budget. Also you had to find a contractor to pick up and install the cabinets. You had to be able to pick to appliances at their showroom.

Eventually I realized that there were not savings in the kitchen cabinets compared to other local companies. And there were not savings in their appliance prices compared to internet vendors. Most local and internet vendors deliver and/or install for free.

In the end, I went to a local kitchen design company and got excellent cabinets at $4, 000 less than the DB prices. Being a DB member was a very expensive, frustrating and stressful experience.

Don't be fooled by their lies and smiling salespeople.

• Co
    Collin Jan 14, 2009

The franchise owners at DirectBuy of Providence scammed all their employees, for the first two years of operation, out of their overtime pay. Basically, the people who put in the ground work to help get that franchise off the ground were bullied into not getting paid for overtime through the threat of losing their job.

Having been the person who managed the time keeping system for all of 2007, I downloaded the time log spreadsheet, which clearly shows they owe me, alone, over $2, 000.00.

Furthermore, they pushed all employees to attend a conference down in Florida and lied to them saying that DirdectBuy corporate required all employees to pay their own way and that attendance was mandatory. Once at the conference, a pol of all other DirectBuy locations revealed that no other franchise employees had to pay their own way.

To make matters even worse, almost all of the original 'core' employees have been forced out for one reason or another.

Unfair practice? Hmmm...

Marcus Feb 09, 2009

This complaint is about the violation of basic consumer right at DirectBuy. I and my wife saw an advertisement inviting us to visit the showroom at DirectBuy. When we got there, we were treated like prisoners. The basic right of a consumer to walk around a showroom to look at displays was denied us. When challenged, the store manager resorted to brute force in an attempt to kick us out. The incident occurred at the DirectBuy store in Mountain View, California on 12/6/08.

We are in the middle of adding a second story to our house. We saw an advertisement of DirectBuy on TV and decided to visit their showroom to check it out. we arrived at DirectBuy and were greeted by a host and the store manager. Then we were shown to a desk by the host for a short interview and to wait for the start of the infomercial presentation.

The infomercial was long and boring, but we found out how much the membership would cost. I was almost ready to pay that, if we find the right merchandises in the showroom. After the infomercial, we were walked to the showroom for more presentation on how low prices were at DirectBuy. Surrounded by interesting furniture displays, my wife started walking around to examine them. She did that also to escape the never ending presentations. She was bluntly told by the store manager that she is not allowed to walk around. We were offended by his action. We are not used to being told what to do and what not to do within what we considered our right.

After the presentation, we were told to fill out a survey. I began to feel that we were being herded around like animals. So I told the host and the store manager that we are not going to comply. The manger asked us to leave. We asked if we can visit the showroom to see the merchandises. He said we cannot because there is confidential pricing information there. I told him that I was only interested in looking at the merchandises and will not look up the pricing information in the catalogs which are kept in a separate library. He said no and quickly showed us out of the store.

While at the parking lot, I had a second thought. We spent money and time to arrange for a babysitter, drove the distances to get to the store, and set aside time from our busy schedule, why should we leave without seeing the showroom? I have a free visitor's pass to Direct Buy's showroom. I can challenge the store manager. I asked my wife if she wants to go back to see the showroom. She declined. S

o I went back in by myself and asked to see the showroom as part of the activities DirectBuy invited me to do. He was visibly annoyed by my challenge to his authority as the store manager (I later found that he is also the owner of the store). He called his security team to throw me out. Two heavy fellows and their security manager came. The heavy fellows grabbed my arms and started removing me from the store. I resisted.

Sensing that the manager's order was inappropriate, the security manager disobeyed him and stopped the forced eviction. He started reasoning with me. I gave my reason and he appeared to have understood it. He seems to be a more reasonable person than the store manager, who appears to be more concern about exerting his absolute power like a dictator. I also sense that he is so concern about his big ego that he is willing to drag down the corporate image of DirectBuy with it.

I told security manager that he has to call the police to get me out. I ignored their order and walked around the showroom. But needless to say, by that point, I was in no mood to examine any merchandise. I did that just to make a point that a consumer has rights. I don't know if he called the police or not. I am not a lawyer. I don't know what the limit of my right is within their store, and I don't really want to go to court to find that out. So I left after I proved my point.

Most stores treat customers with respect and trust. We can walk around freely in the showroom of almost any store because the store trusts that we would not do anything inappropriate. All DirectBuy needs to do is to inform visitors that it is not appropriate to look at the confidential pricing information during the visit, and almost all of us would have complied. For the few who do not, a case can be made to kick them out.

At DirectBuy, my wife and I were treated like thieves even before we have done anything they considered inappropriate. The so called “confidential pricing information" is just a poor excuse for a brute business practice. I frankly do not see what benefit DirectBuy could derive out of such a practice. That is why I was dumbfounded by DirectBuy's insistence that they had acted properly when I complained about this instance to the corporate headquarters.

I filed a complaint to the Better Business Bureau and ask for an apology as a settlement. Not only did the store manager refused, he accused me of “trespassing“ and “walking around the areas of the building that are off limit to guests". When DirectBuy invited us to visit its facility and we agreed, we assumed that both parties agreed to be abided by commonly accepted societal rules of conduct. For example, both parties would have understood that private offices of staffs at DirectBuy are off limit to guest, and bathrooms are not.

I continue to challenge DirectBuy's right to impose a new rule that its showroom is off limit to guests without clear notification in its advertisement that it has unusual requirements beyond standard accepted practices. Also, if the showroom is off limit, then it would be unethical to use it as an advertising tool to entice unsuspecting consumers to visit DirectBuy.

The charge of “trespassing" is also a way to justify the belligerent behavior. I have not yet left its parking lot and went back to challenge the terms of the visit, all within a period of 3 minutes. Again, common societal rules of conduct would not call this a “trespassing". Instead of trying to understand my point of view for the challenge, he used “trespassing" as an excuse and ordered my removal by force. Both I and my wife have engaged in many debates, disputes and contests through our career. Challenges and counter challenges are ways our society uses to settle differences. We have won some disputes and lost others; but we have not yet met an opponent who would resort to violence to settle differences.

An apology from DirectBuy would be a respectable way to end a bad business practice.

DirectBuy Victim May 19, 2009

It's true, their "experts" are not worth anything. Thank God we ended up ordering better quality cabinets locally because DirectBuy's "expert" made such as mess out of everything that we felt we couldn't trust her. If the cabinets had been ordered & received, we would have been stuck with merchandise that was incorrectly designed & measured. We found this out when we hired a "real expert" who also did the installation for much less than DirectBuy. What was DB's response, you ask? They claimed that we didn't get the same cabinets (which we didn't...we got something better for less!) so they could not compare prices. We need to band together & stop these people from hurting others.
    DirectBuy is a nightmare & scam!

awful everything

I saw an infomercial on TV about the huge savings off retail prices for a whole host of consumer items (Claim...

scam and cheating

Wondering why a direct buy member needs to shop around so much for things to find the best price- shouldn't direct buy's price be the best available since you are supposedly buying direct from the manufacturer and cutting out the middle man profit. Why should you have to go to retailers to see if they might be cheaper if you just paid $5000 to buy through the supposedly cheapest source? I'll keep my $5000 in my bank account- there really is a sucker scammed every minute isn't there? Not sure why 100 words are required - one word should be sufficient and that would be SCAM!

• Da
    Dallas Feb 09, 2009

Totally agree with the comments. DirectBuy is a SCAM and fraud. Their total price is no way close to what they claim in their marketing. I am planning to put together a class action lawsuit against them.

DirectBuy Victim May 19, 2009

We agree that DirectBuy is a nightmare & scam!
    Help spread the word & get involved...
    toll free phone# - (800) 797-5499
    Please contact them so justice may prevail & we can get our hard earned money aka "membership fees" back. By joining us, you won't have to start another case & will get the same outcome.

fraud and cheating

I was trying to become a member of DirectBuy, but they act as they don't need members anymore. They demand things as: "if you're married, you cannot come alone or your husband cannot come alone to "the visit" (even if I don't have babysitter, and one of us need to be in home to take care of the kids!). The lady (I will preserve her name - because I'm more nice than her) asked personal questions that made me feel embarrassed. I'm very disappointed with DirectBuy, and I'll be glad to pay more if I have a better service!

• Valerie Oct 09, 2008

I also think Direct buy is a SCAM!... my bf and I got sucked into there "script" of a presentation, they told us we would save big bucks on all of our hardwood, tile and granite amongst other things... well after paying our $5000 membership fee we realized that there was no saving on any of our hardwood and tile... we ended up buying it retail... and as for the granite, it was actually cheaper to get it at the same manufacture as direct buy!... We furnished 4 of our rooms with plasmas and it was A LOT cheaper to buy the t.v's @ best buy!... The pricing on all leather couches were ridiculous at Direct buy the only things i can honestly say were cheaper were the mattress sets and a hutch for our dining room(and might i add very very little selection)... very very sour... i wish these was a way to get out of this financed membership fee!!

• Co
    Cole Jan 23, 2009

Any time you want to buy anything, you need to sleep on the information. Never make a decision at the same time the information is first presented. After 1 and a half hours of listening to a sales pitch, we had no resistance left and, regrettably, signed a contract! For what we must pay in joining fees and yearly dues, we could have bought all new stainless steel appliances, put in new floors, etc. What a rip-off! The interest is exorbitant and we were advised to refinance as soon as possible to a company with a lower interest rate by one of the salespeople--another red flag!

• Sp
    SP-Woodinville, WA Feb 12, 2009

I got the same feeling from them right off the bat! And all I did was schedule for my "free open house pass". So I decided to do some research to check things out... I couldn't believe that Children were not allowed and what really bothered me was the fact that you "have to bring your spouse of significant other with you" I am very happy to say that myself and my spouse will not be going to the open house after all the research I gathered! I will be Blocking all emails from there website as well!!!
    Thank you!
    SP- Woodinville, WA

• Cj
    C Joyce Jan 16, 2010

wow, they welcomed our children who sat through the seminar. Spouses are asked to attend because of the contract being signed and if you sign up as an individual your spouse can't benefit from your membership. We have shopped Direct Buy and saved several thousand dollars so far. Our children are always welcome to come shopping with us. Realize these are franchises, don't like the one you are dealing with, find another. I personally look forward to the huge savings that await when we build and furnish our home.

waste of time even on phone

I received a call from a Direct Buy telemarketer who told me I had been selected to get into a contest in which I could win $50, 000. It had to do with getting a key that would open a box or something at their showroom.

I thought about it for a minute, I had heard about the membership costs, and knew I wasn't going to sign up. But, I am doing some upgrades in my home over the next few months, and the guy on the phone was vague when I told him what I had heard about the membership fees. He gave me examples of people he knew who had bought a $700.00 couch for less than $400.00, and I should have stopped right there. I've seen $700.00 couches, and that was not what I was looking for.

I eventually said that he could send me info, and that I would like to participate in their contest, although at the time, I didn't exactly know what my obligation would be.

Ok, here's the clincher, after talking to me for almost 15 minutes, the guy asks me my income range, 20, 000-40, 000, 40, 000-60, 000, etc. When I told him my income was between 20-40, he said I didn't qualify for their contest and hung up. Just that fast.

• Yo
    yourfriend25 May 13, 2009

Oh mine was worse than that .When I told him I lost my job and was unemployed I was told I did not qualify. I proceeded to tell the person that it was a scam. They said no it's not a scam. I then got even madder said Thank you, good bye and I hung up. Then I blocked there number from getting through to my number. Oh the joys of VOIP telephone service.

money grab and no customer service

My Mom and I are members of Direct Buy in Canada. My frustrations with DB began when I ordered a wedding ring mount and bands for my husband and myself. The trouble began when the DB sales associate processed the order wrong and I had to go back to pay more shipping. A couple of weeks go by - at this point we are less than a month away from our wedding and I am informed by telephone that the associate made a MATH mistake and that I actually owe them MORE money. I am about to leave on vacation two provinces away - I do NOT have time to deal with this. Anyway, I said fine, voiced my displeasure at THEIR mistake and said that I would pay the difference when the rings came in. I spoke to the Manager and made it quite clear that if the rings weren't in by the particular date stipulated (at this point I had been waiting longer than what the expected delivery date on the invoice was), I wanted someone's head to roll because they were going to ruin our wedding. I left for my trip and as I travelled to my fiancé, I got regular calls from DB staff telling me that the manufacturer had confirmed my rings would be in well in advance of the wedding. 3 week vacation goes by, fiancé and I are in town to get married and, guess what, NO rings!! When I called to see where the rings were at, I freaked out when I was told they weren't received. I was told someone would call back. A couple of hours later, this very cocky young lady returns my call and says "Well at the price you paid for the rings, I hope you realize you are NOT getting a diamond" to which I responded in a not very calm voice that she needed to learn to READ because I hadn't bought a diamond, only rings.. Anyway, to make a long story short, we had to push our wedding back by 3 days thanks to Direct Buy's incompetence and BS. You'd think that after that episode I would have learned my lesson and not ordered anything further but no, I couldn't resist.

On September 3, 2007, went to the DB showroom and placed an order for a 4 piece John Thomas dining set. I was told that it would take 4-6 weeks for delivery. I received the set December 22, 2007 and when we unpacked it, it was so damaged it was hideous and definitely not acceptable. I immediately contacted DB after the Xmas holiday and had to provide all kinds of pictures to prove the damage. I was initially told that I may not get a refund - that it was up to the DB adjustor and the Manufacturer to decide. The person I was dealing with prepared me for the worst scenario - that I might not get my full money back but would likely be offered the damaged set at half price. I said I wanted a replacement set. I was told that the manufacturer agreed to send a replacement set. This was mid-January. At the end of March 2008, I received a call that the replacement set had been received and thoroughly inspected to ensure it was not damaged like the first one. My hubby and I borrowed a minivan and brought the damaged set back and were about to load the new set when I insisted that the boxes be opened so "I" could inspect the new set. The warehouse guy didn't want to, stating that they had already inspected it. I was adamant so he didn't have much choice. When he cut the tape, I noticed that the cheapo packing paper and foam had not been moved at all, which meant that in reality, the set had not been inspected as I had been told. I moved the paper and foam and right away pointed out dents on the white tabletop. Needless to say, I was NOT happy and left both dining sets there at the warehouse. I immediately emailed the lady I had been dealing with to tell her of the situation and that I was INSISTING upon a FULL refund. To make a very long story short, I have had to chase after my refund for two months. I spoke with someone in their accounting department who told me the cheque had been mailed April 28. I waited and waited. In-city mail takes 3-4 days. As of end of May, I had not received my refund. I left a message for the owner who NEVER bothered to return my call - one of his underlings called and told me that the cheque had been mailed May 13 - I freaked out and called them all *** liars. Anyway, the cheque never came so I insisted they draft another and that I would pick it up. I FINALLY got my money on May 30th.

This whole ordeal left me with a very poor impression of the company, even poorer impression of the people they employ and overall just a very bitter taste in my mouth. Both Mom and I wish we'd never set foot there!

• Gu
    guest 10/21/2009 7pm Oct 24, 2009

beware

Beware!! Direct Buy did not want my business. I'm a home owner doing a major remodel. I wanted to attend...

they're a joke

DirectBuy is a complete JOKE, the ownership is beyond unprofessional and management is totally poor, this is for the Vancouver location...Save ur money!! I just found when I was at the showroom that the Sales reps were rude, I heard that the stuff that comes in is always damaged, comes in with missing items, takes ages for it to actually get there and sometimes even lost. The atmosphere is always negative, no one seems to want to be there and the workers never smile. The owners, that another story, they don’t know how to run a business at all!!! They should go back to Edmonton

will not stop calling

We are going to do some home remodelling and saw there was a Direct Buy in Fresno. We scheduled to attend one of their "REQUIRED" Seminars. After checking into what Direct Buy really was all about, we decided it wasn't for us. The day after scheduling to attend the "Seminar" the phone calls started. We have Caller ID and didn't answer the phone and they didn't leave a message on the answering machine. Within 30 minutes they called 10 times! This continued up until the day before the "Seminar" when someone did actually leave a message reminding us to attend.

The next afternoon was our "Special Reserved Appointment" for their "Required Seminar" and the phone started ringing at 8AM. Someone kept calling every 30 minutes until 6PM, 2 hours after the "Seminar" started. Not ONE message was left on our answering machine just hang ups. This continued for the next two weeks!

Finally having enough of the constant phone calls I happened to be home when someone called. I politely asked them to stop calling us and that we were no longer interested in their business as it didn't suit our needs. Of course the high pressure sales pitch started and I repeated that we were not interested and to not call us. The woman said she would take our name off the list but if we changed our mind they "Might be able to accept our membership".

Another two weeks of phone calls and hang ups my husband found a corporate number and informed them what had been occurring with their Fresno store.

The calls finally have stopped AFTER 3 MONTHS!

• JustSayNo May 12, 2009

I called THEM and left a "just as nasty" message and told them to NEVER call me again! LOL

• Uh
    uh-huh May 26, 2009

As people are finding out, all they really are out to get is your money for the membership. What a joke, pay us $5000 on a membership to save money? I feel bad for the people who fall for this crap. I can't say it enough, CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!!

lies!

At the time of our interest in purchasing a Direct Buy membership my husband and I were about to close on...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices