Dillard's / poor customer service/extremely unprofessional cashier

Baton Rouge, LA, United States

I am writing to express my concerns about a recent incident I experienced at your Dillard's store located at 9701 Cortana Mall, Baton Rouge, LA 70815.

I would like to bring to your attention the fact that I received extremely poor customer service during my last shopping trip at Dillard’s, which took place on Wednesday October 11, 2017 at approximately 1:15 p.m. and again on Saturday October 14, 2017.

I am a regular customer at your Dillard’s store, and I have never had any problems with any of your clerks/cashier’s in the past. However on Wednesday October 11, 2017, I found myself being talked about, laughed at, and totally humiliated in front of other customers at your store.

I was standing in line waiting to check out in the children’s (boys’) department, the line was extremely long and there was only one cashier checking out in that department, although there was another employee (not checking out customer’s) standing behind the counter talking to the cashier. As I approached the counter, the cashier told me two of the three items I had, (two sleeve-less shirts and one pair of pants) would be regular price, I asked if the pants would be an additional % off and she replied yes. I then asked if she could put the shirts to the side and I would go and double check on the extra % off for the shirts, because I believed I had saw a sign that it was.

I had not walked five feet away when she huffed and told the other employee, “I hate when customer’s try to tell me how to do my job!!! and the other employee laughed. I turned around and said, “Excuse me, are you talking to me? And she said no, I was talking to her, and pointed to the other employee. I said yes, but you were talking about me to her and I wasn’t even out of ear shot. I said that is totally un-professional, and I did not tell you how to do your job, I simply asked if you could put the shirts to the side while I went and checked on the sign, but you talking about a customer to another employee is totally un-acceptable.”

She shrugged her shoulders and replied, so, I don’t care and rolled her eyes. I said I need you to contact your Manager right now and have them come up the register. She again said so and shrugged her shoulders. So what, I will call a manager, I don’t care. She then picked up the phone and told the other person to send Brenda to her register. I told her she had a nasty attitude and she shouldn’t talk to customers that way and I said or you will find yourself out of a lot of jobs. She said so, I am only 20 years old, and you expect me to be the owner of my own business or something, girl bye!!! and put her hand up and rolled her eyes. I informed her, I am not a girl, I am a grown woman and a paying customer, by this time there were several customers in the area looking and watching as the events unfolded.

Brenda approached, and I found out this was the assistant manager, as I was trying to explain to her about her cashier and what had just taken place, the cashier was still being very rude and unbothered that her manager was standing there. I told her that I will not have her talk to me that way and I do not want her checking me out at the register. That’s when Brenda picked up the phone and told, Jacqueline, the store manager, that she was sending her back there to her and she would explain everything. Brenda apologized for her behavior and even walked back with me to check on the signs. The shirts were not an additional % off, but I still wanted the shirts. I purchased all the items that I had brought to the register.

I did follow up with a phone call Mrs. Jacque Moore, the store Manager on Wednesday at approximately 2:08 p.m. I have shopped at Dillard’s many times and have never experienced an incident like this one. It was extremely disheartening that I was even treated in this manner, only because I questioned the additional % off for two shirts.

I did return to the store on Saturday October 14, 2017 only to find the same cashier in the same department. She rolled her eyes at me as I walked past her register. I did make sure to purchase my item in another department just to avoid any contact with her. I should not as customer have to feel as though my presence is not wanted or valued in your store, nor should I have to try to avoid her presence every time I come into the store. Since she had a high disregard for Management authority, I feel as though she may get confrontational with me the next time I enter the store.

I do not know the employee’s name, but I do know what she looks like, and at this point I am sure Management is aware of the cashier I am talking about. I hope that you look into this situation and I hope to hear back from you about this incident soon. Please contact me at your earliest convenience at [protected], or e-mail me at [protected]@gmail.com.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter.

An