Dillard's Department Stores / racial profiling

While an employee of Dillard's Department Stores, located in the Palm Beach Lakes Mall in West Palm Beach FL, I was physically accosted and manhandled by a member of the Loss Prevention department after being erroneously and falsely accused of stealing.

Upon assisting a elderly customer by carrying a very large box of housewares to his car he'd just purchased, a white male security named Thomas came running out of the store and physically attacked and verbally insulted myself and the hapless customer in a botched effort to apprehend us and repossess paid merchandise. I was working on the clock during this horrifying incident and based on another security gaurd's own statements, I had been under scrutiny since the day I started working and they assumed that because I was a young black man I was predisposed to steal something sooner or later. As Thomas, the rogue security guard put it, "We finally got you, we've had our eyes on you from day one." The store's manager, Eileen Ruggieo, later criticized, chastised, and lambasted me for helping a customer carry merchandise out of the store and that I bought the physical attack and apprehension by the security guard on myself for going above and beyond my job duties. Eileen Ruggieo [protected], then fired me under the store rule that no employee is to leave the premises while actively on-the-clock. There is an old axiom that says, "No good deed goes unrewarded." Well I am living proof that Dillard's dispelled that theory.

Comments

Pl
  10th of Jan, 2009

I think if the customer that this person helped, if they had a store receipt, then the employee who helped this person carry the package to the car should have received an apology. However if not then they had every right to fire this person. I think race shouldn't always be brought up whenever something happens. It could have had nothing to do with it. The race card is still being played and it should no longer be allowed as an excuse to get a person's way. There are the same if not more opportunities out there for black americans as they are any other race. Now if the guard comments were unfounded and he admitted they they had been watching this person and they had no reason to, then the security guard should be fired, but lets leave the race card out of everything and just take responsibility for ones on actions. If this guy got fired for a legitimate reason, then he shouldn't bringing color into it.

An
  6th of Mar, 2012

For users. And Dillard's INC. Corporate office is the question of how you choose their manager. Shame on you that being one of the largest stores in the USA. Do not have an awesome customer service. But not only customer service, also serving employees. that in many Dillard's store employees are treated like dirt. for example in the state of the FL. a Manager in Tampa called the Executioner, a very cruel to employees, unbearable, discourteous, rude, kaffir, lacking education, may I ask where you got the title of manager. because you are not a manager. all those names and you could say more but the real name (James Pratt) the corporate They should dismiss this man is a reckless with employees. when corporates are not in the store. Strange things happen. But they are afraid to adjust the bald maybe because they sell a lot. better service to people who have gold and silver. what kind of values ​​is a corporation that has people like numbers. ??