Delta / Customer service

Delta Airlines
Had a bad experience with Delta last summer. With no weather excuses at all, they got me in late and I missed my connection flight. I got no help upon arrival such as de-planing first, or rescheduling with another flight so I got to my destination late and missed my ground transportation to my final destination. I finally got in early in the morning, got a couple of hours sleep, and headed off for my business.

My return trip, they lost my baggage, and said I could not get it until the next morning. I did not get it as planned and did not have material for a presentation that day. The phone# I called for tracking the baggage was worthless; they could not track it. They promised it would get routed to my home airport later in the day, and would call me when it arrived, as the first time of arrival they gave me was wrong.

I ended up going down there myself and picked it up. It had been offloaded with another airline service baggage, thus the wrong arrival time earlier. And of course, my suitcase had a rip in the bottom.

Delta's reply for all of this was a $50 voucher for a future flight, take it or leave it... I realize these things (One or the other) happen to travelers daily, but the combination and their lack of response made me decide to avoid Delta in the future.

N  31st of Jul, 2008 by
July 27, 2008

Richard Anderson
Delta Airlines
1030 Delta Blvd
Atlanta, GA 30354

Dear Richard:

As a rule, I don’t usually take the time to write letters following poor customer service, but I have decided to make an exception after my recent experience with your airline.

My flight out of LAX was unfortunately cancelled due to “bad weather” in New York (after having already been delayed for three hours). This was not a surprise; the consumer has sadly become immune to the airlines’ ineptitude in regards to responding to the slightest change in the weather. What really irked me was the way I was treated by your customer service agents.

Once I had learned (through my own initiative, of course) of my cancelled flight, I called Delta’s customer service hotline. The agent informed me that I had been automatically rebooked on an itinerary that would have totaled 16 hours of travel time from Los Angeles to New York City the following day. I asked him to find me a non-stop flight, which was what I had originally paid for. Luckily, he booked me on such a flight. Later that day, when I looked up said flight on Delta.com, the website notified me that there would be one stop. So, I called Delta again, and a second agent assured me that this was incorrect; I was on a non-stop flight. Several hours later, when I decided to check in, the itinerary clearly noted a stop in Cincinnati. I once again called customer service, and the third agent proceeded to tell me that there were in fact two flights, with the same flight number, arriving at LaGuardia at the same time – and I was booked on the nonstop one of the two. This made little sense to me, and so I asked to speak with a supervisor – Susan, in Salt Lake City. Finally, Susan told me the truth. I was not on a nonstop flight at all. I never had been. What really irritated me was Susan’s total disregard for the fact that I had spent much of my day on the phone with Delta, having been lied to on three separate occasions. Not once did she offer to resolve the situation, neither with an upgrade, nor an offer of a refund or some extra miles. Susan blamed it all on the weather. The weather did not lie to me, Richard.

Spending my day on the phone with Delta agents is not my idea of a good time, especially when I’m treated like an idiot. I have access to the internet – I can fact-check. Not to mention the fact that I was subjected to a rather obnoxious outgoing message before I was even allowed to speak to an agent, explaining the evils of oil speculation. Have your PR people forgotten that airlines have traditionally been the most notorious oil speculators, betting on the price of oil in order to lock in prices a year in advance? It also seems rather silly to blame all of your problems on oil speculation, when the airlines (save for perhaps Southwest and Continental) haven’t figured out how to do business when oil is cheap. It might be smart to discontinue this silly PR stunt.

I’m quite aware of the fact that one person can never make a difference when dealing with a company such as yours. Thankfully, I work for a large, global company myself. I can assure you that I will never do business with Delta again. With just a little bit of effort on my part, I am hoping to say the same thing about my 15, 000+ colleagues. We’ll stick with Continental.

Kindest regards,

CC: Edward Bastian, President; Stephen Gorman, EVP Operations; Lee Macenczak, EVP Sales & Marketing; Beth Johnston, SVP Human Resources; Larry Kellner, CEO Continental Airlines
A  31st of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I now refuse to fly Delta. I dealt with a counterperson (not sure what they are called) at O'Hare in Chicago that I really wish I could have spoken to her supervisor. Just unnecessarily rude for whatever reason she wanted to pick and I didn't appreciate it at all. And that's just one of the problems I can remember having with them. I haven't flown in years because of the multitude of problems I've had with airports and airline staff and for the prices we have to pay, it's not worth it to me. But like I said before, if I needed to fly somewhere, you wouldn't EVER catch me on a Delta flight. I'm not surprised at your experience at all. I'm sorry for you but that doesn't mean much coming from me - I can't do anything about it and I don't work for them so... just extending sympathy I guess.