David's Bridal / Horrible experience at David's Bridal!

1 Bakersfield, CA, United States Review updated:

It was my worst shopping experience in years, while this was supposed to be one of the most important things in my life: finding my wedding dress. I went to the David's Bridal store in Bakersfield, CA, after work. I walked in and stood there for 2 minutes until someone approached me. The employee was not friendly or helpful at all. Without any greeting, she had an attitude like “what are you doing here?” She barely talked to me although I tried to express my need in a friendly manner. She threw me a catalog, asked me to fill out a form, and had another girl help me. That girl was more friendly with a smile one her face, but she was impatient to listen to my description of dresses that I would consider. She only heard the first criteria and ignored the rest. Of course, she could not be very helpful to find me “the dress.” She found me 3 dresses that were very similar, while I’d like more variety to choose. She took me and the 3 dresses to the fitting room, asked me to try on, and said she would come back and check on me soon. The dresses did not fit and took me a while to try on each of them. There was not any mirror in the fitting room so I had to walk out of the room to see what it’s like in the mirror. I spent 20 minutes trying on, coming in and out of the fitting room, but she was never back. During that time, I really needed help, but where was my help? When the dresses didn’t fit, I really didn’t feel comfortable walking all over the store to find that girl with my bra showing. I was extremely frustrated w/ their service so I finally changed and left. When I left the store, no one even approached and asked me how I was doing or if I found anything I liked. Since I entered the fitting room, the girl or any other kind of help just seemed to disappear, and I was left alone. For the whole time, I felt like I was not welcome there.

How did that happen? I kept wondering after I got home. I have been very disturbed. The employees seemed pretty friendly and helpful to other customers. They only had an attitude to ME, so it must be something about me, not their general personality or service. Was it because I didn’t make an appointment and just walked in? I don’t think that it could justify their bad service and attitude. They could have had told me that they were occupied by scheduled customers at that time, explained to me professionally, and helped me schedule an appointment, as any decent business would handle it. There was no need to give an attitude. If that wasn’t the reason, what is? Because I went there alone? Why would it be an issue as long as I have money to spend? I dressed better than many customers at the store, so I’m sure that they treated me like that not because they thought I could not afford their stuff. I understand big women sometimes are discriminated, but I am a size 4 so it is not a problem. Plus, people who know me always say that I am the kind of customer that every business (especially fashion) would love to have. Then the only thing I could think of was my ethnicity. I am Asian, and I was the only Asian at the store. I am not sure how much experience they had in serving Asians. Anyway, racism, which is the last thing I’d like to believe, was the only believable guess I could come up with after ruling out many other possibilities. I will never recommend this store to any of my friends, and I will make sure that my experience is known by people. (By the way, I wanted to file a complaint to David’s Bridal’s head quarter because I assumed a successful business like them must care about this kind of issue and would try to improve it. However, my attempt was unsuccessful.)

Comments

• Cl
      26th of Feb, 2008

To: Girlinshowbiz...

Wow! Way to pull the race card. Is there a different way that we as employees at David's Bridal are supposed to service Asian people? I don't care what color/ethnicity you are, if I am busy with one or two brides I will not drop everything just because you walked in the door being Asian. Can you really be that self-centered? It is people like you that can't let segregation rest.

Also, are you completely helpless when you are in the store? Can you not ask questions? We are not there to answer your every beck and call. You need to remember that we have to deal with a lot of negative people, and when you think that you are the only one in the store at that very moment, that is when we hate our jobs.

Oh, and another thing...knock off the "I'm a Princess" attitude because we are sick of it. You are no more special than the bride before you or that will come after you. You want to know why we are irritated employees? It is because we don't get paid enough to put up with the crap that you and other negative people bring into the store. You want a good experience then have a good attitude and knock off the racial stuff. No one cares that you are Asian and getting married, they just care that you are getting married. Plus, if you want to feel like a "princess" then go to another store where the gowns don't start at $99.

Good luck with your wedding, I hope that your groom is prepared!

• Mi
      20th of Apr, 2008

I apologize for your experience. I apologize even more for the embarassing behavior of a fellow David's Bridal employee. We do see about 30 Brides a week, but every bride should recieve the same attention. You should attempt to contact Heidi Miller. I'm all the way out on the East Coast in Yonkers, NY, but if you want to contact me at (914)562-7370, my name is my Michelle, and I would be happy to help you resolve your situation.

26th of Sep, 2008

Wow...this is terrible- of the girl that left the first comment! I used to work at a david's bridal. Although I do not think it was because of race, it was bad customer service. But to the first comment- maybe you should NOT be working there anymore- I started getting a negative attitude and realized it was time to leave because it wasn't the brides fault it was management and MICRO management by corporate. Obviously first comment girl doesn't commission because of her negative attitude, otherwise you would get paid well! You shouldn't say "WE" for David's Bridal as a whole. It really sucks that David's has such a bad reputation, I do believe they just don't worry so much about the quality of the consultants, but there ARE a few good ones at every store and really it just isn't possible to have all "awesome" employees in any retail situation.

24th of Apr, 2009

Glad to hear there are people who work at David's Bridal who actually do believe in CUSTOMER SERVICE, unlike the person who left the fisrt comment! Talk about negativity...maybe the customers wouldn't be so negative if there were more people who were positive, and actually made an effort to provide some CUSTOMER SERVICE! Somebody needs to go to training on people skills because obviously, she has NONE!

BTW, if you hate your job so much because you feel don't get paid enough to put up with other people's crap, then you are definitely in the wrong line of work. You get paid to do a job! If you don't like it, no one has you handcuffed to the store, so make a decision and get out...cut the "I don't get paid enough to deal with other people's crap" crying!