Crunch Fitness - Chicago, IL / gym or pick pockets

My wife registered at the Crunch Fitness Center near her work place when we lived in Chicago. About 3 months ago when we were in the process of moving to Maryland she tried to cancel her gym membership, that was when our problems started. She was informed by the gym that she needed to have proof that she was moving from the Chicago before she can cancel her contract. The gym also required a 30 days notification with a utility bill which was the only proof they would take. Well; what that means is that if I moved to leave with a family member because I could not afford to rent a place yet I would still need to pay my gym membership even though I would not be using the gym. Moreover the requirement of a 30 day notice with a utility bill means that in the best of circumstance one will have to pay for 2 mths after physically leaving the gym location.

Well we have been in MD since October and only rented a place so Crunch is still charging my wife for a service that is not rended. I believe strongly that this is nopt business at all but robbery. I suggest that they gym re-examine their policies.

Va

Comments

15th of Dec, 2007

I signed up for a 2 year contract with CRUNCH FITNESS. Within the contract from CRUNCH FITNESS it states that my renewal rate after the 2 years was $510. My membership expired in November and CRUNCH REFUSED to honor the contracts renewal rate. I told Crunch it was breach of contract and illegal to not offer me the fee on the contract. They said that Crunch is no longer part of Bally's and that the agreement I had was written by Bally's, even though it clearly states CRUNCH FITNESS on the contract and therefor they will not honor it. They want a deposit and $79/ month. This is BAD business. The Chicago Crunch will probably go under just like the LA Crunch did if they continue to operate like this... Plus there parking rates have gone up significantly. If I went 4days/ week for 1 year my parking would cost me $832, if I didn't go over the 2 hour maximum.