Cox Communcations / apt burnt down - $475 charge for dvr

1 Newport News, VA, United States

On april 11, 2009, my apartment was burnt down. No one was charged for the accident. Luckily I had renters insurance. They settled me with 15k for what my coverage has even though I had well over 28k in housegoods. (My fault!!) anyways, I cancelled all my services, water... Elect... And cox. When I called to cancel, the rep told me that I was going to be charged an $80 cancellation fee due to breaking the contract agreement that I had with them. Bogus... Then... Well cox decided to auto draft out for the month in advance... So $127 was taken out of my account for the billing cycle of april 10-may10... Two days later. My cancel date was three days into the cycle... So naturally I figured I would get billed the pro rated amount... No... They took aout all of it and then told me they would send me a credit. To my surprise, not really, I was sent another bill showing my credit.. Yea... But also showing how my credit went towards the payment of the equipment that had burnt up that I now have to pay for.
So... I have to pay $475 out of the $15k that I recieved so tey can get thier equipment. I think that sucks... I know I should have had more coverage. My question is...
They said they can only charge a price not to exceed the "unreturned equipment" law... Does anyone know that law??
Any comments and suggestions would be nice!!