Countrywide Home Loans / misleading consumers

1 Irvine, CA, United States Review updated:

In october 2008 my husband and I contacted countrywide to obtain help with our home mortgage loan as I had lost my job and recently had a baby and we were finding it very difficult to make our mortgage payment. We were told by the extremely rude representative that as our account was current there was nothing they could do to help and to call in next month when we had a payment due. We called back in november and a representative took all our financial info and told us that we are spending over our income therefore there was nothing they could do and we had to cut our expenditure in order for countrywide to help us. My husband and I payed off some of our credit debt, sold our car etc to obtain help. We called back in december and january 2009 to get help, again rude representative told us there was nothing that can be done as we are current and there is no payment due on the account. I called back late february as finances were becoming tight and we used the very little savings we had to make mortgage payments. Again we were told by an extremely rude representative to call back when we had a payment due on the account.
I called back on march 3rd and was told by a supervisor that all the previous representatives that we had spoken with had been misleading us and there is nothing they can do until the new bill passed by obama is in effect and yet even after the bill goes into effect there may be nothing they can do to help us.
We have been sacrificing our health. We do not have health insurance, we do not have enough money to buy food or diapers for our baby and we don't have a car to travel with. We listened to countrywide and they did nothing but mislead us to poverty and now we have nothing!

Ni

Comments

• Di
      29th of Jul, 2009

My husband & I have a very very similar story. My husband (the sole income earner) lost his job last year, I had a baby just the previous year & we also were struggling w/payments. I called CW several consecutive months prior to my husband losing his job to see if they could "help" us in anyway and was told they could do nothing because we were current on our loan and they only had programs if we were in default. Each month was the same story. When our mortgage went inevitable delinquent I called back to see if NOW they could help us and their story changed again! I was also told to wait for the new bills & programs and applied and tried to apply for several and never qualify for some reason or another. We were told we could do a short sale, put it on the market, but was told it really wasnt in short sale status until we received an offer therefore it could go to foreclosure at anytime. Guess what...now they put it in foreclosure. After us trying to do the right thing and consult w/CW from the beginning, we have been driven to the conclusion that we could of just lived in the house for the past year, not paying the mortgage, saving the $$ & catching ourselves up. Instead we listened to CW and got screwed. Shame on CW and everyone who is employed with them and participates in misleading and straight out lies to customers.