Coast Dental / Overcharges

My experience with Coast Dental is that they will overcharge you for treatment. They will then bill the insurance and receive payment from them.

The explanation of benefits you receive will state that you are owed a refund, but Coast Dental will never give it to you.

Va

Comments

• Jl
      19th of May, 2010

I just read some of the complaints. My wife and I went there for the same reason as one of the other writers. Our regular dent ist no longer accepted our insurance and we would have to pay out of network prices. We tried Coastal because it is blocks from our home. Our appointment was at 10 am we got in an hour late. I had a cracked tooth. They charged me almost $500 to repair it by preparing it for a crown which they were going to do on the spot after a deep cleaning. Right in the middle of the Dr. grinding down my tooth he started saying "cavity oh oh I see a cavity" He told me he would have to stop and do a temp fix and come back another day to have the cavity fixed first because it was below an old filling. I thought it was odd since I had no pain at all. He said it might require a root canal and also I really should do a couple of bridges and a crown on the adjoining tooth. I asked how much for the root canal. I was told it would be a lot but wouldn't say exactly what it would cost me. I could hear my wife talking in the next room and they were telling her that she had some 4s and 5s with some pockets and infection. She needed a crown etc. She told them no thanks and left. I told them I could hear their conversation, and asked how extensive here work was going to be and what would it cost. They said just a deep cleaning and one bridge. When I got home my wife was beside herself. They told her she needed three deep cleanings which would cost $700 to $900 and with the bridge the total would probably run over $3000. Needless to say, I am probably out the nearly $500 I paid today and all I got was a temp crown. I will be going back to my old Doctor. Thanks everyone for the tip offs.

• Fl
      8th of Jul, 2011

I have read many of the comments and know that most of the problems seem to be poor communication. No new patient should ever be told they can have a simple cleaning without having a periodontal diagnosis. If it's been over six months since your last cleaning, chances are you have gum disease and a simple cleaning is not protocol in any practice and it should never be suggested over the phone that a new patient can just come in and dictate the type of treatment they think they need. If it feel like your gums hurt during a cleaning, chances are you have gum disease. It is an infection and it will hurt during a "cleaning" but it rarely hurts during the time you are living your daily life. Some hygienists are more gentle, some are or more thorough, and some are perhaps even a little heavy handed. Xrays are necessary. As far as appointments being confirmed, it is the patient's responsibility to show up and confirm their own appointment. We are all adults and confirmation calls are complimentary. No one should have the job of mothering you with reminders. Insurance will never, never pay for much treatment. Consider it a little donation or a discount in some cases. I would suggest before agreeing to treatment, the patient should ask for a treatment estimate . They should sign the consent and the doctor or patient coordinator should sign it. As a patient you are going into their practice and you follow their rules. If you don't like it, simply go somewhere else. Chances are if you see 10 different dentists, you will get 10 different diagnosises. It's that way anywhere. I am a hygienist and am considering working at a Coast Dental and did a search to see what showed uo re Coast. I will tell you that what I am reading could be said about any office if the patient does not understand how insurance works, or how gum disease is diagnosed and treated.

• So
      22nd of Oct, 2018
    Coast Dental Services - Horrible customer service
    Tampa
    Florida

Very nasty staff, very rude and unprofessional.

• Kr
      28th of Oct, 2018
    Coast dental Palm Bay rd. - Dental service
    Palm Bay
    Florida

They have cancelled appointments and then changed appointment time without my knowledge. Still waited 2+ hours for my child to get her teeth cleaned. They always blame it on being under staffed or emergencies. Completely unacceptable and ridiculous. Not sure how they are able to stay in business.