Citibank Credit Card / rude personnel/harassment

Philippines Review updated:
After our harrowing experience with citibank, I strongly advise everyone, don’t get a citibank credit card! This is quite a long read, but I hope you take heed.

When we started having financial difficulties, I called citibank to inquire of any arrangement we can avail of that would allow us to pay my father’s outstanding balance on a reasonable installment basis. But I was told that no such arrangement was available.

Failing to make payments for a few months, the account accumulated. Paying only the monthly minimum amount incurs huge financial charges and even more penalty/service charges if not paid on time. Citibank personnel started calling us at the office, house and on mobile even as early as 6am or as late as 10pm. If unable to speak to the cardholder directly, these people threatened anyone who took their calls. Not even children were spared from their foul language.

As soon as we raised enough, we made arrangements with their designated collection agency (Law firm a) to pay the account in full at a discount. After signing the appropriate agreement form, we paid the agreed amount at an authorized bank. We faxed the payment slip to the law firm and they confirmed receipt of the payment by citibank.

We requested for a clearance letter certifying payment and closure of the account. We were told that this letter will be sent to us directly by citibank. After not receiving the letter as promised, we repeatedly called the firm and were always told to just wait. We were also advised to disregard the statement of account we continuously received after full payment. This is machine generated and will eventually stop, they said.

To date, no certification has been received. Payment was made in 2007! Instead, we received a letter from another law firm demanding immediate payment of the account after we, as they claim, continuously disregard their reminders and offers of assistance. Alarmed, we called law firm a and were told that they will communicate with the law firm b to clear the matter. We were also advised to just say the account has already been settled should anyone else call.

Today we receive yet again another letter from law firm b demanding payment for the same account. They even enclosed an advisory stating the new rule promulgated by the supreme court “that aims to speed up disposition of civil cases”. I have emailed them advising of payment. Hopefully after faxing them the agreement form and payment slip, they would stop harassing us.

Again, don’t get any citibank credit card!
Cl

Comments

Sa
  18th of Jun, 2009
Mr. self Sanjay Kumar i am credit card holder in citi bank my card no.- 5546198927677007 we have taken a persional loan since last 5 years back of Rs. 1, 43, 000/- throught my credit card after that we have already paid the above said amount in 2006 with reference of citi bank letter no.-6705599667360/910173 dtd. 19.04.2006 of Rs. 1, 10, 000/- (as per letter)

After that we have received the call from citi bank credit card division (i.e. Mr. Sachat Rai) regarding o/s loan amount standing in your credit card. in previous week(i.e. 2nd week of June 09) but as per our record we have already paid the o/s balance in four instalment (i.e Rs. 30000+ Rs.30000+Rs.25000+Rs.25000) but letter is mention payment in single shot.

but i am not able to pay in single shot because i am a salary person so i request to collection officer Mr.G.C. Jacob from SRK Enterprises, Delhi pls provide the new letter for payment in four instalment instead of one instalment & he insure me we will provide the fresh letter but you will provide the cheque first then we will issue the letter as well as NOC. But i am not received the fresh letter & NOC till from Citi Bank then I am contact to collection officer (many times) & he insure me we will provide the NOC letter from citi bank.but I am not received the NOC from citi bank. After that i am sifted in Chandigarh so i am not contact to citi bank/collection officer in this regards last 2 years & also citi bank is also not contact with me regarding o/s payment.rd co

So pls look into the matter & resolved the matter.

Thanking you

sanjay Kumar
09318619638
Na
  12th of Aug, 2011
Hello readers! I once a credit card holder... that is CitiBank credit card... One time i wasn't able to pay the bill which i received for the month... somebody called me from citibank... I explained about my problem and promised to pay as soon as i get some money.. the person shouted and told me citibank is not a charitable institution and i should get a loan from the church not citibank! he warned me to pay or else...! My God... I was so depressed that time and I had difficulty sleeping... If you will ask me what is that thing that I have done that I regret most ... I will answer you... GETTING A CREDIT CARD!

Citibank Logo Citibank