Citibank / beware

I took over my 83 yr old mother's affairs & discovered she had been paying on a Sears credit card that belonged solely to my deceased step-father. I sent numerous letters & placed many calls to no avail. I went as high as the Office of the President. Finally today I got a call back & they said they cannot refund any payments. She had also been paying Chase but they refunded her $4k+. They were only able to go back 6 yrs & were apologetic about it. You would think Citibank, being in the same business & exceptionally large co., would/could do the same thing but they said no way. To anyone out there listening, I would highly recommend using Chase over Citibank. At least they were compassionate about helping a "little old lady" who wasn't business savvy in the ways of the world.

Va

Comments

• Kh
      21st of Feb, 2010

I agree, I have been a faithful customer of Citibank Credit card for about 5 or 6 years now. I always make my payments on time for the whole time I have owned the card, I don't think I've ever had a late charge. This holiday season, I helped a friend get gifts for people, and we charged it on my card cause she had a mix-up with her bank, which needed some time to figure out. So, once everything was going again, she offered to pay what she owed on the card, and I wanted to add her debit card, but Citi doesn't take debit cards, so we added her checking acount to my online accout. Doing so, we missed a couple of digits in her account number when I added it to my click to pay account, so when we made a payment with that account, it came back as the account was unknown, the routing number was correct but not account number wasn't. Citi calls this a returned check, and they charged me a $39 charge for a returned check, and they locked my click to pay account down for 30 days so they say. There is nothing I can do to get that $39 refunded, they don't want to hear anything, and they are very rude, have been hung up on by their customer service department. So yes, I agree Citi is a horrible bank to deal with. They want you to pay for every mistake you make. Now they made a mistake and had to take bailout money from the Government, the government should have taken a page from Citi's own book and said, just as in both these cases - NO.