Cinemark Theatres / better buy dvd!

In regards to Cinemark Tinseltown 17:

My theatre experience is one that will never make a repeat at this location ever again. That said, I begin the tale of the old bag who essentially called me a criminal and a liar.

After handing her my credit card, I was asked for my driver's license. Now, before I go any further, I would just like to state that I find this practice by a company like Cinemark to be damned offensive. When I am told this is "company policy," I know I am being lied to thus also being called a ### if I were to actually believe it. I've had many friends who have within the last few months worked for the company, who have all said that they were never presented a policy of this nature in training or mid-employment.

Promptly within being asked for it, I took my card back and walked to the machine that distributes tickets without the hassle of a person. The machine didn't even work. When I walked up to the counter to tell them that their machine was malfunctioning, I was told I had to be "persistant." They did nothing to provide any customer service with the issue.

After being told that I was wrong for what I know about my credit card policy, after being told that when a credit card is stolen I'm responsible for every purchase on it (c'mon, yeah right!), I walked out. No movie is worth the aggravation that I had to deal with through this woman.

When I got angry and said, "I'm being carded to use my credit card. I don't understand your policy when I could just as easily walk to that machine or buy them from the internet," I was told I wasn't being "carded," that she was asking for my identification. So, not only was I dealing with an idiot for a manager, but I was also being hosted by someone who told me I was wrong several instances where I was, in fact, correct.

I asked her when the policy had gone into effect because I had been there several times in the last few months, I had even been there buying tickets from her without this "company policy." Her response was, "Since we accepted credit cards..." She flat out LIED to me.

I will absolutely never return to this theatre again. Buying a DVD is cheaper anyhow.

Ja

Comments

• Ca
      25th of Dec, 2006

The manager did not lie to you. Your experience may have been less than pleasant, but it is Cinemark policy to require identification for credit card purchases in-house. If you were not asked for ID before, then the employees that let you through were not doing what they were supposed to. I fail to see how providing ID is that much of an inconvenience.

• Di
      4th of Jan, 2007

Agree with the above poster, even if they took it too personally. I am pretty sure I know which employee the poster is talking about. I am a frequent customer and have seen her harassing customers on a repeated basis. From what I can tell she is the kind of person who follows 'company policy' to the letter and if it is different at all she does not have the sense to think for herself on a situation by situation basis.

• Am
      27th of Feb, 2007

Yeah, I also believe that it's not that difficult to just show them ID when they ask for it. It's what, an extra three seconds?

• Yo
      28th of Feb, 2014

Why not show ID? Many establishments ask for identification when dealing with credit card transactions...DERP

• Se
      16th of Mar, 2017

Whoops. I'd only ask if the credit card said "see ID" or if they were purchasing gift cards. Sometimes people wouldn't have their ID on them when the card requested it so I'd tell them "I'm sorry. I have to protect the person who wrote 'see ID' on this card" and wouldn't back down.