Choice Home Warranty / not paying claim

Brandon, FL, United States Review updated:

I am working overseas so I bought the home warranty plan to cover our appliances so my wife would have to worry about these things. My a/c stopped cooling the service rep at CHW told her they would not send any out because ran but cooling. So we had some come and check the system they said it was on it last leg and did some minor repairs. A few weeks later it stopped completely so my wife called CHW. They sent their contractor out he determined the compressor and out door fan was bad. The tech told my wife it would better to replace the equipment than repair, one the unit was 14 years and two the expense would be throwing good money away for temporary fix and no promise when they could get the parts(it was about 90 degrees with high humidity and my wife has some health issue). Being former A/C contractor I agreed. He said we would get buy out from CHW of 1500 to 2000 dollars. So we agreed and the equipment was installed the next day.Keep in mind I am on the other side of the continent and my wife (who is 68) is trying to handle this because we had a warranty on our unit. We paid for the installation on good faith that we would get a portion of our money back from CHW.
Shortly after my wife checks with CHW and through several calls we are told they only pay for the fan motor $145.00 because that cause the compressor to go out. Kind of like a insurance company not paying when you total your car because your tire blew but they will pay for tire. Now, we actually had a new system installed for $4300.00 but we were and are not asking for the full amount just what was to covered. This was told to CHW as well but after more calls and more BS they shifted the blame to their contractor by saying they did not follow procedures and basic they were not going to pay but $145.00. The contractor really tried to work with us they gave him same BS because he had use d the same procedures before. But he said CHW was one the worst companies out there but that does not help me.
I would like to join the class action if possible.

Bu
Aug 27, 2014

Comments

• Un
      Feb 21, 2015

Please put me on the list for any class action suit against this company. I did a central vac job for them and charged $340.10 to make two trips to customers house. One to pick up the unit and bring it to the shop to bench check. I found a bad motor and gave the price to them on which they agreed upon. The even gave me an authorization no. It has been more than three months and they still refuse to pay me. They will not return my calls or answer any of my emails. This company is a scam and they are getting by with it.
    please send any updates to:
    University Vacuum
    5211 Bellaire Blvd.
    Bellaire, Tx 77401

• Il
      Apr 03, 2015

I have 5 properties with this co. At one my AC went out. The tech that responded said the unit needs to be replaced. CHW said they wont replace it because the coils had premature failure. The contractor never heard of such a claim. I told CHW that I don't see that stated in the contract. After three days an 2 supervisors I still waiting for a response. Trane has never heard of the claim either.