Choice Home Warranty / claim denied - bait and switch, deceptive trade practices

1 Edison, NJ, United States

Stay away from this company. A judgement was recently brought against them by the Attorney General of NJ for unethical behavior. My AC quit cooling this summer (June 2015). Choice sent out a tech on a Friday who said the compressor went out. On Tuesday, he calls me to tell me that the claim was denied. I called Choice to find out why they denied the claim. They said they didn't deny the claim - the tech hadn't sent the report in yet - which was a total lie (it's an electronic submission through an iPad app which was done at my house). If he hadn't turned in the report, how could he know the claim was denied?? Long story short, Choice left me without AC for a week (in the Texas summer) - keeping with their story about the tech not sending in the report. They finally told me my claim was denied (didn't see that one coming) stating a compressor can only fail for a few reasons - improper maintenance, lightening strike, power surge, etc.. None of those are covered under their policy. In other words, your compressor goes out, they always have a way to get out of fixing it. The technician told me he wrote on the report that compressors are electric components and can fail at anytime for many reasons and it wasn't caused by improper maintenance. He wanted my AC fixed and wrote the report as best he could to get it approved. As I mentioned, they have a judgement against them per the Attorney General's office. I submitted a dispute with them and the BBB of NJ. Choice finally agreed to refund the cost of my warranty ($400 is cheaper than $2000) but when I called to get my refund, they sent me papers I had to sign and get notarized stating I won't say anything negative about their company and if contacted by any 3rd parties (BBB, NJ OAG), I have to say the dispute was handled satisfactorily. So, they screw me out of a promised repair, and I have to be quiet? I refused their refund. Beware, this is a very unscrupulous company using scare tactics (notarized agreements) to silence people they've screwed over.

Mk