Charter / Bad service

I called Charter to cancel a service and was talked into a promotional rate for their expanded cable. I agreed but said I would probably cancel after the promotinal rate because of the increase of cost after the 6 months. I was told that I could do that anytime and the rate would expire on the June billing. Well, it did and when I called to cancel I was told there was a $19.95 downgrade charge. What? I asked to speak to supervisor and was put on hold and disconnected. I thought it was just a mistake but after seeing the other complaints I kind of wonder.

When I called back I was connected right away with someone and they were really helpful and did put me through to a supervisor. He agreed to waive the charge after I explained I was talked into the expanded service and was planning on canceling after the promotional period. This is the first time I've heard of a downgrade fee but just wanted to let everyone know that Charter has thought of yet another way to charge more money. I wish I had more options where I live but it's somewhat limited.

Va

Comments

• Ri
      14th of Sep, 2009

My charter internet service had 2 major problems. 1. it slowed down on a regular basis. The noon hour and dinner prime time weekdays there was a major slowdown. 2. It quit for long periods of time. On August 30 at about 1pm the internet was dead. I did the restarting of my modem dozens of times and the service problem continued to be well into August 31 about noon. I called them and they stated that they were aware of the problem "at 6 am". At least they found out within 12 hours! They reported that the repair could take until "11 pm est" which is 2 am here. 36 hours- no service.
    I cancelled my service. I told them I would bring their equipment back to the store in a town about 20 miles away, because I had an appointment in that town on Thur. Sept. 10. On Sept. 9th there is a knock on the door and the Charter installer was there to disconnect and collect equipment. I gave the tech. the modem and power supply and helped him find the house service box. He left without giving me a receipt. Big Mistake.
    Monday Sept. 14 1:15 pm. computer generated phone call from Big C. They are charging me for the modem that they lost. I called customer service, talked to supervisors, etc. The 6th person I talked to- 50 minutes since they called me and I got on it, admitted that they have no power to adjust my bill.
    I called my attorney. I was told that unless I find out who was dispatched and get a record of the call, this wont easily be fixed. I called another Charter # and actually got an installer scheduling guy who confirmed the appointment. He also confirmed that there was no record of the the installer getting the modem. He was actually helpfull, and gave me the numbers for the dispatch and service call. I got phase 1 of this problem fixed, but it took one hour and fourty five minutes on the phone with them. Remember who lost my modem? hint; not me!
    Dont use Charter. I have a fair amount of contact with the public, and this is a company that I hear the most unsolicited complaints about. They have a horrible record of customer service, and the ability to actually deliver the services that they are charging for.
    I tried to be a good customer. I ignored the complaints of a dozen people I have heard from that they have provided poor service to. I kept using them anyway, because my service was marginally good for several months. When the internet does not work for 6-36 hours several times per month, it gets tedious. I use the internet for work, and it became very clear to me that I was not getting anywhere near what I was paying for. And they are really not cost effective on the face of it. When you factor in how much service and bandwidth you won't get, they are an expensive joke. The best possible thing that could happen to the consumers in my area is that these guys go out of business and a competent reliable company would get the franchise. Washington and Oregon are very poorly served by Charter.