Certegy / violation of fact act, fair credit reporting act

1 Elk Grove Sacramento, CA, United States Review updated:

I wrote a $351.00 check to Toys R Us on October 26, 2008. The check was declined by Certegy. The clerk at Toys R Us called the company and told me they had indicated the check had been declined because I had written too many checks on the account. I informed the manager that I unlimited check writing ability on the account and had only written one check on the account in the last month, something was wrong. I called Certegy at the store and was told that they couldn't tell me why I was declined. I wanted to know what it was so that I could fix it if there was an error. In violation of the FACT Act they informed me that they could not tell me what my file had on it that was flagged. As the branch manager of a community bank, familiar with the FACT act this angered me. I told them this was against the law. They continued to give me a huge run around and I recommended that they get their information straight because they were asking for a lawsuit. Furthermore, I wanted to ensure that other bank customers were not having similar problems. I have read some information now about how many other people are encountering similar problems and I do hope that Certegy faces a class action lawsuit. There is no excuse for breaking the law.

Comments

An
  28th of Mar, 2009

For what i was able to find online, Certegy is sooo incompetent that they have already been sued various times; class-action lawsuit. For not being able to secure OUR information and allow crooks to get a hold of it, and then what happens? WE, that pay our bills, maintain a good credit rating/score, never have a problem with our banks; all of a sudden, have OUR private information on the hands of people that damage our entire lives!!!
So, now, what do Certegy do? They come up with some ###ed way of creating a verification process that makes no sense, follows NO pattern, and only serves to embarrass loyal costumers that DO HAVE FUNDS on their accounts, use original bank checks, and have never had a problem before their system was implemented.

I wonder why is that that BANKS do not have a system in place to aid stores into verifying checks. Why is that that a company that has proven NOT TO BE RELIABLE, is let to continue in business and damaging good peoples' lives??? Absurd! Shameful!!!

Maybe it's about time for another lawsuit! For defamation, personal damage, stereotyping based on unfunded profiling, etc...

Here is a kink for the lawsuits reported by Business Week

Key developments for Certegy Check Services, Inc.
Certegy Check Services, Inc. to Settle Class-Action Lawsuit Filed on Behalf of 8.5 Million People

03/24/2008

Certegy Check Services Inc. has offered to settle a class-action lawsuit filed on behalf of 8.5 million people whose personal data was stolen by an IT worker at the company. Certegy announced in 2007 summer that a database administrator had copied and then sold data stored in its systems. The settlement would provide free monitoring of credit records and bank accounts, plus identity theft insurance coverage. Identity theft victims also could be reimbursed for some expenses.

11/1/2007

Another class-action lawsuit has been filed against Certegy Check Services Inc. The lawsuit charges that Certegy did not adequately protect confidential personal and financial information of its clients. The suit was filed in federal court in Jacksonville. A similar suit was filed in federal court in California in August. Certegy, which provides check verification services to major retailers, said in July that a former senior database administrator stole data and sold the information to marketing firms. Certegy filed a civil suit against the former employee.
Fidelity National Information Services Inc. Sued Over Breach of Data On 8.5 Million People

08/27/2007

A California law firm has filed a class-action suit charging Fidelity National Information Services Inc. (FIS) and one of its subsidiaries with negligence in connection with a data breach that exposed personal data of as many as 8.5 million people. The lawsuit, filed in federal court in California, also accuses the Jacksonville, Fla.-based transaction proc­essor and outsourcer and its Certegy Check Services Inc. subsidiary of invasion of privacy and breach of implied contract. The suit does not seek specific damages. The complaint was filed by San Francisco-based Girard Gibbs LLP on behalf of the 8.5 million consumers.

Tm
  28th of Apr, 2009

Keep in mind that Certegy meets the FCRA definition of a consumer reporting agency. If you were declined, they must send you all the information they are storing on you that was used as a basis for the declination.

Also, upon request, Certegy must provide a free annual report upon request.

In accordance with the FCRA, you have the right to dispute information contained in their files. They must investigate and send you the results.

Recent FCRA amendments [FACTA] also allows you to dispute with the business that supplied info to Certegy, if your initial dispute was not successful.

Ti
  1st of May, 2009

Certegy declines to accept my retirment checks drawn on a trust account, check the consumer complaints against them, you will discover that they will approve you if you " BUY" thier Gold check cashing pass card. They deny you based on their profile that they set up. then approve you if you buy this pass, somethings rotten in Denmark, i beleive... if not totally fraudulent here