Certegy Check Services / walmart's check cashing services

1 Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:

Walmart check cashing services are not what they advertise them to be.

Walmart uses Certegy Check Services to verify that checks are valid and boy is that company a joke. They declined a payroll check for me today from a well known national company. When I called to find out why I was declined with reason # 2, I was told it just happens sometimes that the company checks get flagged because similar checks were no good and they would not approve them because then they would have to guarantee payment to Walmart if the check you presented was not good. I researched their website also, wow, you can get a gold certification just by downloading an application and giving them all kinds of personal information on yourself and maybe (just maybe) you won't be declined as much. Yeah right, like I am going to give them all my information, take a look at the form if you want a good laugh. I have never had a bad check in my 60 years and I certainly hope now that I was declined a payroll check cashing that my personal checks do not start being declined, I write so few of them anymore, but I would sure be livid if it starting happening. A class action lawsuit is what is needed against this company.

Da

Comments

• Ms
      29th of Apr, 2010

I too have just been declined for reason 2, when I called I was told that it was for fraud prevention and met their requirement to be flagged. They also stated that I may or may not have this problem again. I have been cashing this same company check every Thursday for the last 2 years and loading my debit card. This was ultimate humiliation
    after standing in line around 30 minutes, then being made to feel like a criminal. If Wal-Mart continues to use this company, I wonder what kind of company is Wal-Mart. I also feel that a class action suit should be brought against Certegy Check Services.

• Vg
      28th of Jul, 2010

Yes I had the same issues with cashing checks I had previously and never have I had bad checks in my life either.

31st of Jul, 2010

Wal-mart did the same thing to me today. They refused to cash a payroll check that they have been cashing for years. They told me to use their 'Partners' check cashing firm across the street (for $30). This smells like a scam and I am reporting it to the BBB.

• Do
      23rd of Sep, 2010

I went to Walmart in Elk Grove Ca. They told me they dont even cash checks. Ok im African American so hey. I went to Orangevale Ca. and a lady took my check in the back and threatened to call police because she said the routing number didnt match the bank. She didnt know that my bank was bought by another bank. I asked for an incident report because she refused to even run it but then a manager came and said that the cashier said I had threatened her (which I did not). I just left. It wasnt worth it. Walmart and its employees will wind up getting them sued. I cant wait.

• Bo
      24th of Sep, 2010

After just dealing with WalMart's Sraighttalk phone service, and being told that they considered me a thief...and apologize for the misunderstanding...I return to have my payroll check cashed. Yeah, I was an idiot. The woman had shut down 6 minutes early, and when I asked for a manager, she asked what I was trying to do...and decided to go ahead and run me. I was relieved. Then...this Certegy crap!!! What did they do..run a credit check...to cash a PAYROLL CHECK!!!? When I called the number given, I got an automated system that basically told me that they were protecting WalMart from the likes of me!!! A man is entitled to an honest day's pay. IF they claim to cash payroll checks...that is what they need to do, and cut the bull. I could have went to HEB, and been done with it. If there IS a class action lawsuit...Jason Carr [protected]@yahoo.com) Contact me...I AM IN!!!

• Je
      10th of Dec, 2010

I ran into the exact same thing today at our Wal-Mart in Federal Way Washington, after cashing numerous Payroll checks every two weeks suddenly I was refused by certegy because the check was suddenly flagged as a "risky" check. These are payroll checks from a national restaurant chain and all of the sudden they are bad? This is a joke and I am thoroughly ticked.

• Sw
      24th of Jan, 2011

I tried to cash a jackson hewit anticipation loan check at walmart, jackson hewit tax service advertises for walmart check cashing, not only did they give me a code 2 decline, after getting my name, date of birth and ss# etc. I tried to cash it somewhere else and was going to but the other check cashing place said that the check was verified already and it was no good because walmart verified it to cash but didnt cash and I had to get the check re-issued which will take who knows how long.

• Ia
      9th of Feb, 2011

First off Stealth you probably work for walmart or know someone who does and are just pissy, get your facts straight not all people that do not have checking account have bad credit some people dont have enough credit to go to a bank and get an account through no fault of their own and have no other way to cash a check other than going to walmart or a cash advance place. Walmart has gotten way to big and the staff with exceptions of some are RUDE! Just because you think you are better than everyone else does not mean you should catorgorize everyone here as theifs or crooks or one that have crappy credit..geeze some people make me sick!!!

• Mu
      11th of Feb, 2011

Geese Stealth, seems like you have personal issues. What happened, boyfriend or husband leave you? You have a very nasty disposition. Wouldn't want you as a co-worker. Your probably a housewife who never had credit. Go back to your 3 dollar an hour job and quit putting people down.

• Mn
      24th of Nov, 2013

I was told they couldn't cash my check because it didn't fit my typical patern of cashing checks. They said there is no negative reason, just that it didn't fit my pattern. PATTERN?!?!?! I don't have a pattern. I never cash checks because I have direct deposit or I deposit them into the bank. It was a holiday and the bank was closed so I thought I would use Walmarts feature of cashing a check. This is RIDICULOUS! This make we want to do all of my shopping at Target (where you don't even need to keep your receipt for refunds)! Walmart REALLY needs to reconsider this company or standard for considering check cashing. BAD BUSINESS MOVE!

• Re
      23rd of Jan, 2014

Agreed. The Certegy - Walmart partnership is a legal scam. I purchased a MoneyGram money order from Walmart.
    They did not use the Certegy system when taking the 800.00 cash for the money order. The money order was later
    returned by the company (details not relevant). Called Walmart and was advised that they could refund the money
    order with display of money order stub, receipt and Identification. Went to Walmart, and they soon recognized us as
    regular customers because we had paid several bills, purchased money orders etc. at this location. We located stub,
    and the manager was able to search database (we knew approximate time of transaction) and print the receipt. Now we
    had everything and was approved for refund. They processed the refund and was denied due to a Certegy Code 2.
    Certegy has nothing to do with Cash transactions for purchasing money orders. However, they have everything to do
    with Walmart's ability to deny a refund of a money order purchased at the same location. Do not purchase a money order
    at Walmart. If it is returned, you cannot get a refund if flagged by a system that had nothing to do with the original transaction.
    In addition, we could not locate a bank or check cashing service that would provide a refund, effectively holding money hostage.
    I was advised that direct MoneyGram refunds can take 30 to 60 days to expedite, which (if true) is completely unacceptable.
    I plan to contact the local news channel "ripoffs team", as well as popular consumer advocate groups about this legal scam!
    It is sad that the laws of modern society will again tolerate such an abuse of the system .. . all in the name of security.
    Requiring an ID to vote is profiling, but refusing a refund due to an irrelevant third party is fine. Something to think about ...

• Ce
      11th of Oct, 2014

certegy almost made me ###ing starve to death cause they couldnt verify that my alaska personal fund dividend was real i have cashed the same check at wal-mart for the past 5 years, now all of a sudden reason number 2. they kept asking what bank is it from, i said its not from a bank the payer is the state of alaska, here is the federal id number. now im stuck in a god forgiven state with no hope of getting back to alaska. i was dependant on this check.

• Bl
      11th of Feb, 2015

certegy is a joke! This just happened to me today! I stood in line for over 30 minutes just to be told that I my check won't cash! I am going to the bank from now on to cash my check

• Sh
      14th of Jul, 2016

Both Walmart and Certegy are FRAUDS!!!. I was trying to get my money back from a money order I bought last night. They called in the money order to "see" if it was cashed. IDIOTS you are holding the money order and stub in your hand. What part of that would be cashed. Then they give me a piece of paper stating why they can't cash this check (reason: 2). I have returned money orders in the past, without the hassle. However, this is the very last time I am ever going to deal with Walmart. Then you call the number on the paper for an explanation and after 20 minutes of a recorded voice saying he doesn't understand your answers you get to talk to a human being, and they are more waste of you time. She reads you a script that offer you no solution to your problem. Why can't I get a refund for a unused money order. I believe Walmart and Certegy are in cahoots and the public needs to stop spending their money in THAT store. CRIMINALS!!!

• Ky
      17th of Jul, 2016

Shame on you Wal-Mart! The biggest retailer has obviously forgotten where they came from their humble beginnings. and Certegy you guys can suck it you ain't getting any of my information. declined cold one today when I went to cash a check for 3 grand from a verified and legitimate new york-based company and these effing crooks embarrassed me for what reason?!? So i would call and possibly give them information about myself or the company who wrote the check? Pretty sad that this is how the world is run now, with the lever pulling man behind the curtain, controlling the lives of honest hardworking men and women of integrity. Wal-Mart is just as guilty for standing along side these constitution defamers, down the trail of Marxist tyranny, into the Valley of the morally degenerate Elitists and founders of the NWO, to be psychologically and pubically sodomized. Sign me up for a lawsuit against these frauds

• Jk
      27th of Aug, 2016

You guys are certainly not out of line in being upset, at least in many of these stories... however I am having trouble understanding how you think that Certegy is "scamming" you in any way?! They aren't getting paid when they decline your business (in fact at $3 and $6 they're hardly getting paid when they do!) and for that reason it is a bit difficult to bring a suit against them trying to claim that they are somehow colluding and profiting from denying your checks. I do despise Certegy myself, and for more than one reason, but someone needs to explain how they are profiteering offor of NOT cashing your checks and therefore not receivingredients aNY money for their efforts. It sure is frustrating, agreed fully, but unfortunately it's not in any way a scam or ripoff. I wish you luck but feel that you are best off finding a better check cashing business. In my own experience there isn't anyone even close to competitive EXCEPT for the bank who your check has been issued upon, as most will easily verify validity in house - being theiron own accounts - and charge just slightly more than Walmart does.