Centerpoint Energy / failure to act promplty!

1 Houston, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-752-8036

I had a home removed and am having another built on the lot in Houston, Texas. When trying to get service disconnected at the street for safety in demolishing the old house, Centerpoint first lost my request and then told me it would take another 6 weeks after I paid $300. However, it could be done in 1 week for $700. It ended up being 6 weeks between contacting them and getting the service terminated and that was only after I called to let them know the house was being torn down no matter what in a few days and that I would make sure the company had their phone number in case they hit a gas line.

Then, my final bill was never mailed and the only way I found it was to happen to check the old account online. At that point, there was a late fee assessed and because they did not turn the service off even though I requested it, I am being charged $25 for one ccf of gas! Unfortunately, the Texas Public Utilities Commission does not regulate gas. So, I am doing my part to let you know to expect problems with Centerpoint Energy.

Comments

• Ci
      3rd of Mar, 2008

On Friday 24th the transformer in my apartment complex burned up (per Centerpointe claims department). At that time they attempted to install a new transformer. They installed a transform but in the same time created a surge of power through my apartment that melted my surge protected. Since the voltage was so high, it intern burned my TV, Comcast equiptment, Playstate 2 and another TV up internally. When I called to file a claim, Centerpoint claims adjuster Ms. Watkin, explained to me that the only thing they could do is replace the surge protector. She also told me I could not dispute her decision nor was there any mediation or abritration that could filed on my behalf. So here I sit with no electronic, that Centerpoint has destroyed, take responsibility for and will not replace them. Keep in mind that it has happened to several other residences in my complex. It wasn't my fault, it wasn't our complexs fault nor was it comcasts fault, but Centerpoint has us, thier customers, holding the bag. This is the worst company I have ever had to deal with.

• Ca
      5th of Jan, 2009

on 1-5-09 i call center point energy and the lady say her name was ms. tye i was telling her that my bill was very high for one month i stated that i have not been living at home i left my home in oct 27 and was living with my daughter be cause i was ill and stated that there was no way that my bill could be this high last month december my bill was 137.00 this month i receive a bill for one month for 347.00 there is noway that should be that high ms tye stated that last year my bill was the same and i request for a rereading please ms.tye stated that she would send someone out but that what it was last year i stated that mybe that there was a bad gas leak she stated no and i could read it my self. ms. tye was very rude and very unhelpful her tone of voice was very unprofessional . i have a friend that on a business and his gas bill is not high as mine. there is no way that my bill should be that high.this is a scam.

• Cr
      29th of Sep, 2010

I have 2 children ages 4years old also a 4 month old... My husband works out of town and sometimes we forget to pay the gas because its always so cheap we put it in the back... well as of this morning my gas has been turned off the bill was 37.00 i asked the guy if he could give me 10 mins for pay it so that i do not get charged the reconnection fee, he told me NO! He has been sent there to do his job. So I am a Mother that has a 4 month old that is not going to have CLEAN bottles tonight, due to everything being GAS in my home... When I called to make the payment, they are now charging me 60.00 to reconnect the gas! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Thats more then my Bill... I also asked to speak to a supervisor about this problem and they told me that there was nothing that they could do, its going to take them until tomorrow to turn it back on... NOW that the weather is getting cooler, i wonder if they would cut it off on Christmas day for a HIGH BILL, but come on now a 37 dollar bill? I also asked the supervisor since she is not helping me to get someone back out here today, if I could come to her house and use her hot water to wash bottles and to give my children a bath... ONCE again CENTER POINT IS RUDE, AND VERY UNPROFESSIONAL.

• Ho
      14th of Oct, 2010

There are a rip off--they keep slapping these ridiculously high bills on me--they take so long to resolve anything if they ever do. I am currently waiting to resolve an issue with them--I am documenting everything--last 3 bills in particular --2 for the exact same amount before I contact the media to expose them for what they truly are. I am saving all all my email interactions with them also.

• Ha
      7th of Jan, 2011

My wife my 1 yr old child and I went out of town for three weeks and didn't pay the gas bill. We had gotten home that night and the gas was still on. So the next day I wake up to pay it and I'm on my way and my wife calls me to say that they turned off the gas. So I called to see what it would take to turn it back on. There is an overtime fee of $30 so I paid the extra to get it turned back on that day. We wake up the next morning after having to wait up til 2 am no phone calls no gas man. I call them before normal hours today and tell them my complaint. I'm sitting here one hr later typing this complaint waiting. They told me it would be til Tuesday. Now on Sunday we have an artic blast followed by pineapple express so it's icy weather ahead for us. Now we have a generator back up at home but we still have no gas. So I complained enough and conference called my attorney with centerpoint then they decided they could have it turned on today (and they better or else :)). Long story short they try to give you the run around and screw you out of money. Poor communication skills in the company. If my gas is not turned on today I will change over to all electric.

• Ri
      11th of Mar, 2011

Center Point Energy is the most dirty rat thieves I have ever known and made business with. I cannot believe after making business with your filthy dirty company for the past 4 years i get this kind of service. I have a son and my wife at home and it is very cold tonight. I would guarantee you that centerpoint energy makes this kind of disconnection on purpose because of customers like me that forget to pay. I would've atleast expect a note on my door indicating what I can do to connect my service back. Then I call at night after work to connect my service and the animated system states that everyone is off at night. Centerpoint energy does not even provide a 24 hour operator assistance. And I try paying my account online and it indicated that my I cannot received any payment because my account is a commercial account.
    It is fine because I am not paying a dime for the bad service I received and I bet you will take legal action but what about what my family went through?.. We experienced a very bad service with centerpoint energy..

• Lr
      6th of Jul, 2011

CenterPoint provides the power lines to my section in the Sterling Ridge area of the Woodlands, Texas 77382. The power was out for 5 weeks after Hurricane Ike. Every time the wind blows the power is knocked out for 8 to 10 hours. I am fed up with these screwballs.

• Lr