Centerpoint Energy / sevice

1 Houston, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 2819046424

This email is expressing my disgust with the subpar service and unfair treatment I have received from center point regarding my natural gas service. Last month center point claimed my gas billed totaled 188.00. Because I have never had a gas bill larger than 40 dollars, I disputed the charge; even though the customer service representative did his best to try to reassure me center point was correct in the charges of 188.00. I also asked the representative if I needed to set up any payment arrangements anyway, because I did not want to have my service interrupted especially if this was no mistake on my part. I was told not to make a payment until I was contacted by center point. A month had gone by and I heard noting form center point until they came to my home to cut off my gas, in the middle of cold weather. When I spoke with customer service, I asked why I was not notified and she claimed there was a notice sent via U.S mail, which I never received, notifying me of an attempt to collect payment. She also claimed there was a call made and a message left, which I have not received. All in all, at the end of the day my service was interrupted because the 50 dollar payment I made (on my own not having received any communication from center point regarding my bill issues) was not enough. It was 38 dollars short of the adjusted bill from the month prior which came out to be 88 dollars instead of 188.00. At this point to restore my service it cost me the $38 dollars that was the remainder of the bill, $60 reconnect fee, and a $90 deposit. I asked if I could have the service restored the same day and I was told I could for a$50 fee. This was an upsetting situation on my part because the interruption of my service all came down to center point making a mistake by attempting to overcharge me on my bill, and then not notifying me of the corrections. Even though this was not my fault I attempted to rectify the issue by making the payments with no argument. I did not have the all the money to pay to have my service reconnected the same day, but as a loyal customer I asked a supervisor if I could just be billed for the charges because it was detrimental I had the service restored because I am alone with 2 small children. The representative was rude and simply told me no. When I asked if I could speak with someone else I was told no but he would have them call me. This all began on Thursday February 25 and today is February 28th and I have not heard from anyone regarding the issue and I and my two children are in a home with no heat, no hot water, and no way to cook. I know center point does not give a damn about me being a single mother trying to make it, but as a loyal customer I felt as though I was treated as if I were a customer who never pays their bill, and as if I were being unreasonable. I was willing to pay the ridiculous charges which were put on me by no fault of my own. This whole situation has come because I disputed the charges on a bill, which was determined to be WRONG. This seems as though it’s a plot to scam money from me, all because center point was not able to get me to agree with the bill they previously sent out. And even if I were late on the bill by my own fault…. $38??? Really??? Center point would not go into bankruptcy if I refused to pat this amount. Today we are home with no service and I intend on taking this complaint as far as it will go. I hope someone will contact me so I can have a chance to further explain and express my disgust with the lack of respect or customers and the attempt to scam money f room those who are considered “loyal” customers.

Comments

• Ti
      23rd of Oct, 2007
    Centerpoint Energy - Gas Service

It has been 2 months that I am trying for the above Co. to reconnect gas service. I have called every week , at least three times a week, to find out why it has not been done. Sometimes I get different answers, but at the end they assure me that it will be taking care, but to no avail. My account # is 3735880-1. Some of the service people are very rude. I will keep trying, but I believe somebody in this Co. ought to know that their customer service is horrible.

• Bo
      29th of Oct, 2007

Is your account current? Do you need a city inspection?

• Nu
      16th of Mar, 2010

Feeling your pain!! They just now cut off my gas and to have it restored it is costing me more than the bill that is owed. It's not like I have a choice to just find another company. Ridiculous. This is America isn't it? Shouldn't we have a CHOICE?

• Tx
      2nd of Dec, 2011

Some other states have deregulation in Gas like we did in electricity. Hopefully soon Texas will be deregulated...

Maybe we should form a nice protest/picket line... see how they like hundreds... thousands... may tens or hundreds of thousands of people converging and complaining at once.