[Resolved] Cell C / disgusting customer service

1 South Africa Review updated:

In March 2008 I ended my 2 year mobile contract with Cell C, which was expiring in June 2008. I had the cancellation confirmed numerous times by Cell C. In July I realised that I was still being billed R280.00 p/m contract fee by Cell C, which via debit order, which they had clearly NOT cancelled. I complained about this to JAMES DIGHIPE on in Cell C's "customer service" department on 21 August, at 11H52, ref. no. 2444891, as they had billed me for August as well. Cell C had now taken R560.00 of my money, for an account I had cancelled FIVE MONTHS earlier. James promissed a refund for the full amount. NO REFUND. On 2 Sept, at 13H50, after 30m minutes of holding, calling back and asking for Management, I tracked down Molta in their "Director's Offices" via the Sandton Head Office. Molta promissed I would have a refund for the full amount in "7 working days". Ref no. 2473926. He promissed to call be back to follow up. NO REFUND, NO FOLLOW UP. On 17 Sept, I spoke to Nthabiseng Wessie, also of the "Director's Offices", who promissed a full refund in "3-7 working days". Surpise! NO REFUND.

I received the following response after posting this exact complaint on www.hellopeter.com:

Hello reniers Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Kindly be advised that a strict instruction has been sent to our billing division to process the necessary refunds onto your bank account with immediate effect. Please note that once confirmation has been received, we will advise accordingly. We would like to assure you that this is not the norm at Cell C, nor is it the level of service that we aspire to provide. We extend our sincere apologies for the sub-standard service that you may have initially received. For further assistance, please feel free to contact us on: custserv@cellc.co.za Regards, Nothando custserv@cellc.co.za

I called on today, 30 Sept, after another week of waiting, and ofcourse, STILL NO REFUND. Not only that, they cant even pretend to assist me as their "Customer Service" and Accounts departs' systems are "down". Take a bow Cell C. Poor, very poor.

• Resolution statement

• Cell C Customer Care's Response, Feb 01, 2018

Dear Ms Cupido

Thank you for getting in touch.

We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience.

Our Support team will be calling you to assist.

^NT

• Cell C Customer Care's Response, Aug 15, 2018

Dear Razina Meer

Thank you for contacting Cell C.

We have received your query regarding porting your number. We have escalated the matter and one of our Social Media consultant will contact you.

^NZ

• Cell C Customer Care's Response, Aug 15, 2018

Dear Razina Meer

Thank you for contacting Cell C.

We have responded to your query.

^NZ

Re

Comments

• Ly
      10th of Nov, 2008

I have a very huge complaint, I bought a contract phone last year October and this year January the phone stopped ringing it was only vibrating, i took it to Cell C cresta MAll for repair, it took a month and it was not repaired, i didnt take it back because it hougjht it was useless and now its been two weeks without network, that means i cant amke a call, or send a message am i now supposed to pay my account when it jhappens every month.

• Br
      10th of Feb, 2011

i have never experienced such disgraceful service as with cell c ; i am still waiting for a reply to my concern raised in Septemer last year.My contact no is 0846657777.

• Br
      10th of Feb, 2011

please contact me telephonically

• Bo
      16th of Feb, 2011

i want to cancell this contract, because i haven got a cell phones all lost i tried to contact you but in vain.I need a lawyer to canell this if there is any m0ney to pay cash, give me bank details I will deposit immediately.
    Miss Boniwe Cathrine box 147 Mbazwana 3974 .0722788229.
    acc.01156805 lost cell no. 084998117

• Bo
      16th of Feb, 2011

CANCELLATION BECAUSE HAVE GOT NO PHONES LOSTED LONG TIME AGO AND I WROTE TO YOU BUT NO REPLY YOU COLLECTING MONEY EVERY MONTH

• Pe
      1st of Aug, 2013

I am suffering a similar problem currently with Cell c which dates back to 2006!!! After fighting for two years to close my account, I finially sent a registered letter in January 2008. After this I recieved no further communication from cell c however. 4 weeks ago I recieved a very rude call from a debt collecting agency threatening me, telling me I owe a lot of money to cell c???? At first I thought this was a fishing scam. So I called Cell c. Got the usual ten person run around, so I called there main switchboard and asked for their legal department. They then told me my account was never closed!!! and they are going to lay a judgement against me!!! To say I was livered would be a massive understatement. Cell c are nothing more than bully boys trying to extort money they do not derserve from the working man. I am taking this matter further, I have already sent emails to major public outlets and I will not stop until the public is aware of the disgraceful behaviour of cell c.

• Re
      16th of Feb, 2016

First time came in, want to change SIM card, advised need to bring ID.second time came in early in the morning on 16th feb, waited for 30mins, 3staff was helping 1 customer at that time, and the person behind us got served first, finally it's our turn, the man said ID was not enough with bad attitude said : I told you twice already! I was very disappointed at the service at santon city cell c store!

• St
      3rd of Jun, 2016

Cell C has been giving me the run around since JULY 2011. I settled my account in full as I was owing on my Cell Phone contract and even got a default judgement against my name. I have spoken to numerous people both at CELL C and the company that deals with their debt collections (PHOLOSA ASSET MANAGEMENT) explaining that full payment was made on this account, sent them PROOF OF PAYMENTS many times which include dates, times, banks payments were made from, amounts and references I used. First payment made in MAY 2011, they said they traced on the 31st OCTOBER 2011, after sitting at their office for over 2 hours but when I called to ask about the other payment, they can't seem to trace any of the payments anymore. How can it take 5 months to find a payment made directly to their account? And when it's found, they lose it again/ This puzzles me. As of today, I have not had any solution. I require a letter from them stating payment has been made in full and for 4 months now, they are unable to give me this letter. I am appalled by this service. I posted a complaint on hello peter and its absolutely shocking to see how many unhappy comments are posted about CELL. C. Hope you can help.

3rd of Jun, 2016

I am fed up with Cell C and their service. I had over 9000 bonus smses that I had earned from a promotion that they were running in 2009. I was told that these smses do not expire by their service consultants. Last week I queried if it was at all possible to convert these bonus smses to points or airtime etc. I was told that they dont offer this service. The next thing my bonus smses are deleted from my account, no warning at all. When I contacted the customer service consultant, she confirmed that the bonus smses do not expire and she would log a query. Today I receive a call from Cell C informing me that the bonus smses do expire. What a cheek!!! Is this how Cell C treats their customers??

• Mr
    Cell C - Customer Service
    Cell C
    South Africa

Well Now i have decided the following: I have sent through my documentation and recording of calls going to Cell C and these hello peter replies through to the media. Mbongeni at cell c's name is ON my documentation and he will give answer to the reason why nobody has contacted me since three weeks ago. i have sent though a petition where by approximately 10000 people has signed regards the service and incompetent service level we have been getting from cell c. i am devastated in what i have been receiving from cell c. i expect to be called if not further steps will be taken regards this. I am no longer going to wait for you guys any longer i will deal with this as of now. you mentioned that somebody will call me and nothing yet you said that you will furnish my balance back I'm not happy because if you do furnish my balance back it would be from the time the contracts were cancelled (September) up until April 2012 within this week not later ill give you 48 hours like you give me that time. and you must remove my name from blacklisting and bad payer. SORT THIS OUT WITHIN 48 HOURS. i am awaiting your response. You can email me on [Email Removed] or call me 11 am-12pm

9th of Jun, 2016

Dear Cell C. I was very excited when I moved from another Network to Cell C in 2014. Today however I am very dissapointed in the customer service of one of the employees at the Welkom Branch. Last year I had the same experience but decided to just leave the store unsatisfied. When entering the store today my husband politely greeted this employer and asked if we can be assisted as she was infront busy at the accessories cabinet. She then commented VERY rude, irritated and bad mannered waving with her hands that that one is busy, one is out and she is also busy. Then another lady approached which was the manager, she assisted us from there which was at that point much appreciated. She was very polite. The next thing another lady, which I previously saw in the store, but left after a short while approaches the manager who is helping me. She tells her that if there are ever queries related to this employer, in so many words it came down to shes the best employer ever...and the in-store experience I jusy received was just me lying. This lady was not in the store when we entered the store and had the bad encounter. This lady for some reason threatened me that she was a laywer when I asked het if she was working for Cell C as that was what it looked like. At this point I was in tears and wanted to cancel my upgrade. I have never been so humiliated and rudely handled in any store ever. As far as I know good customer service is when a customer enters a store they must me greeted in a polite manner and then asked if they can assist if they are busy they can politely just ask the customer to please wait someone will be with them shortly. This did not happen to me today.

• Xa
      11th of Aug, 2016

Oh my word cell c is pure robbery - how dare you people tell me I used 375mb by just loading it and using it for 5 minutes after that - your agents cant even tell me what site I was so "mysteriously" on - I want my money back this is robbery.. Cell c consultants need to be more trained - someone needs to fix this fast... I am so disgusted at this network...

• Le
      26th of Aug, 2016

i have a complaint against the cell c workshop branch in durban in aliwel street. the suspervisor of the said branch sold me a defective device which i have sent for repairs with cell c for the second time with the same issues of speakers malfunctioning, battery overheating and burning my fingers and screen freezing and going on blank blue screen. i threatened the supervisior with a court claim and he said that cell c is a franchise and i cannot take cell c to court. no one is obove the law. not even a franchise. i can lodge a claim against a franchise for up to r100 000. i first sent this device at the west street cell c branch in may and last week i sent it agiaint for repairs ant the aliwel cell c branch. this is unacceptable. i did lodge a small claim at the small claims court yesterday against the cell c workshop branch to reclaim the money that i have already paid on contract for a defective device. orange south africa has admitted on their website that the sony device has issues and sony customers uploaded reviews and said that the said device is defective and malfunctions. i request that the device be exchanged. one other cell c worshop branch employee stood up towards me like he wanted to assault me. i am a disabled sydenham police member using a wheelchair and i can easily get him arrested for this.

• Ta
      1st of Feb, 2018

I have taken three contracts with cellc, biggest mistake!!! this is worst service i have ever recieved. the saddest part is irrespective who you comnplain to, nobody cares... they are of the opinion there is really not much the man on the street can legally do. Extremely dishearten customer.
    If anyone at this company developes a consciouns!! they can call me on this number 0610769159 wont hold my breath though...

• Nt
      2nd of Mar, 2018

I CALLED CELL C ON FRIDAY 23/02/18 FOR A CANCELLATION AN SMS FOR THE SETTLEMENT WAS SENT TO ME AND I PAID IMMEDIATELY. MONDAY 26/02/18 I CALLED TO CANCEL THE CONTRACT AND I WAS TOLD THAT THE MONEY DOESN'T APPEAR ON THEIR SIDE. I EMAILED THE PROOF OF PAYMENT. I CALLED AGAIN ON TUESDAY 27/02/18 AND THE CONSULTANT SAID I SHOULD WAIT UNTIL THEY DEBIT THE INSTALLMENT ON THE 28TH. ON THE 1ST OF MARCH 18 I CALLED AGAIN FOR A CANCELLATION AND THE CONSULTANT SAID "IT WILL BE CANCELLED BEFORE THE END OF BUSINESS DAY. TODAY 02/03/18 I CALLED AGAIN FOR FOLLOW UP ON THE CANCELLATION THE CONSULTATION SAID "IT WILL BE CANCELLED IN THE NEXT 10MIN". I CALLED AGAIN AN HOUR LATER THE GUY I SPOKE TO TOLD ME ABOUT A 24 TO 48HRS WAIT BEFORE THEY CANCEL. TELL ME DOES IT TAKE THE WHOLE WEEK TO CANCEL??? IM FED UP WITH CELL C YOUR SERVICE DISGUST ME

13th of Mar, 2018

1. 1/3/2018 loaded R20.00 phone time. 4/3/2018 phoned for 16 secs. No more phone time left on my phone. WHY???
    2. 26/11/2016 AVBOB loaded R500.00 phone time. Made two calls and the whole R500.00 no longer available. WHY???
    This CellC theft must stop!

• Ce
      13th of Mar, 2018

@char111 Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Our Support Team will have a look on this matter and revert back.

^NT

• Th
      11th of Apr, 2018

Bought a cell c starter pack from a promotions agent in newtown. Was promised R30 free airtime and 2GB data free for three months. Never received any of that. Can something be done about this because these promotion agents are scamming people of their money. And worse, if you dont pay them the money that they sold you the sim card for, they steal your phone

• Pa
      20th of Apr, 2018

Imagine my surprise after my own SHOCKING experience with Cell C.
    I feel that this is clearly the way they conduct ALL their business and 'steel money' from clients and claim it is all perfectly legal.
    Last year April I enquired about paying my contract in full and upfront for the remaining year of my contract.I have done this before with my son's contract and without a hitch. I paid my account up front (naturally they were delighted to take my money) and they told me that when I receive my sms for renewal, to cancel the contract.
    Earlier this year they (Cell C) deducted R120 off my account. I reversed the deduction as in my mind my contract was paid in full until the end of contract date. It was then deducted again.

Imagine my surprise when when I called the customer service department to alert them of the error, they informed me it is for usage of data etc.
    SERIOUSLY???? A contract paid in full and now I need to pay more - HELL NO. End of March 2018 they deducted R470.00 again out of my account. I called them and MANY times they told me that it was for usage and to close the account. Are they insane? Where the heck does one pay to close an account?
    I had been given the run around so many times and finally someone told me they needed to listen to the recording to determine where things stood. I called on Monday the 16th April 2018 to find out what was going on. The agent said I was to be refunded and apologised for my distress.
    Today the 20th April, an arrogant agent called me to inform me that I would not be getting a refund of money stolen out of my account and that was that. I asked to speak to a manager and he informed me that I would get the same answer.
    I hope that if you ever consider Cell C as a service provider - NEVER EVER USE THEM!!!

I wonder what the people at the Consumer Protection Board would say should they start an investigation.

Absolutely and completely DISGUSTED!!! Sad that I am not alone!

I am sick to death of Corporate Companies that line their pockets with the hard earned money of their clients that they are so called there to serve - what a load of HOG WASH!!!

• Ce
      20th of Apr, 2018

@Paula Hutchence Dear Ms. Hutchence

Thank you for bringing the matter to our attention.

Please send us an email with your Cell C or ID number and contact details. Our email address is sm@cellc.co.za.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused. Our team will look into your query upon receiving your details.

^NS

20th of Jun, 2018

I made a claim last week at Eastgate Cell C..I had to go back an find out how far is my claim only to find I've been charged a ridiculous access your consultant gave me the most ridiculous explanation .How dare you offer me an iPhone 7 while you know very well it's been discontinued I'm disgusted at your service I paid your access and I want my new phone by Friday I can't stay for 2 weeks without my phone that I pay for every month

Your Sincerely
    MP Masithela

• Ra
      14th of Aug, 2018

I returned from a 3 week holiday in July, only to find that I'd lost my Virgin Mobile simcard, (which I had replaced for the duration of my holiday abroad). In view of the fact that my nearest Virgin Mobile store had closed down, I decided it would be a good opportunity to change cell phone providers and port my number of 8 years to Cell C.

I chose Cell C because my parents have been customers there ever since Cell C began and because I'm often handling their queries myself at the Musgrave Cell C, which is conveniently located not far from home. Putting me as an additional number on my parents contract would also save time and paperwork. I explained my situation to Cell C Musgrave, who assured me that porting my number would not be a problem and that they could do so free of charge. My contract was signed on 23 July, with an assurance that the number would be ported by the end of the month at the latest. However days turned in weeks, and despite repeated reminders, calls and visits to the branch to bring ever more documentation, IDs etc. to the Musgrave Branch my number was STILL not ported. A few days ago, I was finally informed that the number could only be ported for a fee of R250.00. Considering the fact that I was NOT informed of this, and that I was in fact informed that I would pay NOTHING to have my money ported I naturally refused to pay. Rather than pay a ridiculous (undisclosed!) sum, I thought I would be best to take my business back to Virgin.

Due to the lack of a store in my vicinity, I called the Virgin Call Centre, only to be informed that my number had been terminated only days before, i.e. on 8 August, i.e. AFTER I'd already signed my contract with Cell C, and before I was informed of the R250 fee, and that's it's no longer possible to get my number back with Virgin. You can surely appreciate my frustration and my disbelief at the disingenuous, entirely unacceptable manner in which Cell C signed me up. Not only was I forced to endure the worst possible customer service, (I had to consistently 'chase' the Musgrave Branch for information pertaining to the delay in porting my number - with ever changing goal posts), but the information at I received at the time I took out my Cell C contract was incorrect, if not deliberately misleading.

It stands to reason that I would NOT have taken out the contract with Cell C if I had been informed upfront that I would have to pay the R250 as a 'porting fee'. I would similarly not have had my number terminated if I had contacted Virgin mobile immediately, instead of putting my faith and trust in Cell C, to resolve issues they had with porting my number. While I would have liked nothing better than to terminate any and all dealings with Cell C, I find myself in the impossible, frustrating and untenable position of loosing a number I've had for the last 8 years. Under the circumstance, the only 'fair/ fitting' course of action is for Cell C to finally port my 'old number' ASAP - as indeed they'd promised to do 3 weeks ago! - WITHOUT insisting on a fee they did NOT disclose 3 weeks ago. I look forward to a fair and speedy resolution of a problem that could very easily been avoided altogether with the right information at the right time.

Yours sincerely