Casio / Casio Exilim

1 NJ, United States Review updated:

4 months ago I purchased a new Casio EX-Z1080 from Amazon.com. Everything was great with it until around Halloween time when I started having problems. Keep in mind I babyed this camera, never dropped or bannged it once, purchased a special, padded hard case for it and it was in like NEW condition with not a scratch on it.

One day I was taking a picture and then switching mode to view and the screen went black and the camera shut off, lens still out. After that the power button was non responsive. I took the battery out and put it back in and at that time, the lens retracted and it came back on.

Now about 2 weeks ago the same exact problem happened, however no matter what I did, the camera would not respond. The lens was out but nothing would happen.

I called Casio customer support and they gave me instructions on sending the camera in for repair under warrenty. I paid out of pocket to have the camera sent to their repair facility. 4 days later I get an e-mail saying it would cost me $140 to repair the camera.

Yep, for a 4 month old camera. I called and the customer service lady told me the technician said there was evidence of the camera being misued or dropped. Which is complete baloney. I never dropped the camera once.

Then she said her supervisor would call me in 24-48 hours to discuss the issue with me and its 4 days later and I never received a call.

Now, I have to pay another $8 for them to send it back to me broken.

I will never ever buy a Casio again and I can't wait to tell everyone I know what a crummy company Casio is.

Comments

• Ad
      13th of Jul, 2009

Same exact thing happened to me, only it has now been 3 1/2 months since I sent it off and I'm still waiting for it to be shipped back (unrepaired). I wonder how many people give Casio (more) money to fix a manufacturer's error??? Great business plan, don't you think? I'm with you! NEVER again!

• Na
      22nd of Jan, 2010

I called Benson Smith directly, expecting him (as I understood it) to be the CEO of Casio America. I spent 10 days listening to his excuses, when this camera has well-document KNOWN issues.. I refused to send it back and forth. It cost 110 bucks -- just replace it! Make an executive decision! In angering me, he has made certain that my family and I are ditching our Exilims today, and buying another brand. I can't rely on a frozen, crazy-acting Z80, and I'm not going to send it back and forth and be without.

Have the FORTITUDE, Mr. Smith, to just spend a buck and preserve customer goodwill. You can be assured I'll avoid all Casio products in the future. I once had a defective PURSE replaced, free of charge, by the CEO, because the color rubbed off of the one I had. A $300 purse was overnighted to me. I didn't even have to send them the defective one! And Casio can't replace a $120 camera? Poor customer relation skills.