Carmax / sells lemons

We purchased 2 cars from Carmax in the last year and one was a lemon and Carmax won't even return my phone calls. The 2007 Hyundai Veracruz seemed to be a great car that would accommodate our large family. I purchased a 12, 000 warranty from Carmax with the car and while it was still under warranty the transmission was slipping - making an occasional knocking sound. We brought it in, they claimed to have done something to correct the problem but soon after it came back again. This time though we had exceeded the 12, 000 mile warranty, so they set us up directly with Hyundai to have them take a look at it. They found and corrected it, but this time we had to pay the bill even though Hyundai never corrected the problem previously. The worst part though, is what Hyundai told us about the car. It had 5 outstanding factory warranties. I guess this is not the biggest deal since they were able to apply them, but why didn't Carmax do this when they owned the car? But the biggest issue they found is that the electrical system in the car has a different VIN number than the car - it's not a Hyundai electrical system!!! So we have unexplainable problems with the car, like the driver's seat will lay back but then it won't go back up again. I discovered this when driving to an airport to pick someone up. I laid the seat down to rest since I was early and then could not raise it up again. Imagine the safety issues if someone has to drive a car without the support of the seat back. I'm just livid with Carmax for selling us a car that had a major issue with the electrical system and they won't even talk to us. I will never shop with Carmax again and will discourage anyone I know from doing so. They sell this trust and no hassle thing, but you don't know what kind of trash they are selling you. And if you do discover something, don't expect them to even talk to you!!

Lf

Comments

2nd of Jun, 2015

We have purchased two vehicles from carmax. Two different cars same problems. On the 2007 BMW after having it two years the power steering pump went out then the struts went out then the brakes went out then the thermostat went out. The transmission is having issues now. Called carmax no one has returned my call the repair costs equal $12, 000 so far and still have 3yrs of payments to go. I purchased the car in 2011.
    When does it end. My car has been a nightmare. Also a leak in the coolant hose. Really???