Capital One Visa / unauthorized billing

United States Review updated:

My wife and I made a small purchase with our Capital One Visa card that accidentally took our account slightly over our credit limit. Rather than deny the sale because it would take us over our limit, Capital One granted the sale because they wanted the business, then charged us a penalty of $39.00 (more than the over limit amount) and to add insult to injury... they immediately sent a derogatory notice to the credit reporting agencies... and guess what?... right in the middle of the mortgage process for our new house. I can understand the idea of not going over your credit limit and I can even understand being penalized for such a terrible transgression...but to then deliberately trash our credit report while collecting their excessive fees is beyond moral and typical of why the average American hates big business. We DID get the mortgage and we ARE closing our account with Capital One. Capital One... Definitely NOT in our wallet.
Va

Comments

Na
  16th of Jul, 2008

Capital One Visa - Customer Service
Capital One Visa
Grayslake
Illinois

If you want a credit card company that stands behind a fraudulent charge, don't apply for Capital One Visa. I just paid out $1500.00 for an item I purchased on the internet that was ordered, but not available. Although I called Capital One to dispute the charge and they told me I wouldn't be responsible, the company eventually did issue a credit, but not until the charge went into the next billing cycle. After talking to Capital One again, they told me I had to pay the $1500.00, even though it was credited, or they would sock me with finance charges. Bottom line...the internet company used my money for one month; and Capital One had it for another month. I closed my card and went with American Express.

Capital One Financial Corporation Logo Capital One Financial Corporation