Canadian Tire / damange to engine auto repair

Canada, Ontario, Scarborough Toronto Review updated:
Canadian Tire
Scarborough Toronto
We brought my Dad's van in to Canadian Tire at Rylander in Scarborough 4 weeks ago...

Problem: No heat from the heater.

Immediate Problems after it was "repaired" and we paid $300 for a replacement thermostat and a flush n' fill of the radiator:
No radiator fluid (van overheating!!!)
No heat.

We brought it back twice, the first time they just topped up the fluid. The second time, they said the heater core was plugged and that they had fixed it.
Still, no heat, now the engine is still overheating and possibly leaking fluid, because its all pooling in the van under the floor mats.

We brought it back again today.
"Foreman" said that repairs will cost upwards of $2500 and it would be easier to replace the engine entirely.

I complained further, we've been told we will get a refund of what we paid originally.

"Foreman" says that they aren't responsible for the engine block damage and that it likely had already happened before we brought the van in.
I disagree- I asked point blank, "don't you think it is reasonable to assume that a licenced mechanic would be able to spot that sort of damage easily?" He said "yes, they should have".

Of course the damage is recent... my Dad was driving around for nearly two weeks without radiator fluid.
They obviously drained it and didn't replace it when we went for the initial "flush n' fill" and this caused the engine problems.

I called their Complaints number and was given a Ref # and a promise of a callback with 2 days. We'll see what happens.

I'm furious, because this van was bought used less than a year ago, fully certified and we had it inspected.

N  19th of Mar, 2009 by
Problem: No heat from the heater.

Duh . You had no coolant in engine upon arrival . Take responsibilty for your own car.

Canadian Tire Logo Canadian Tire