British Airways / contemptuous attitude

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

In June 2006 on returning from Africa, I was verbally abused by an extremely drunk person upon taking my seat in World Traveller Plus. Verbal abuse of myself, and several other passengers carried on for an hour into the flight. After checking the cabin for spare seats, I then moved into economy. When asked by the purser why I had moved, I explained what was happening, and questioned the purser on BA's policy of allowing intoxicated passengers to fly. I was told it was none of my business...but that there were mitigating circumstances. After the meal, I then requested a drink that was not available in economy class as "compensation" for the disturbance experienced in World Traveller Plus. I was refused by the purser, stating that I had moved into economy through of my own vocation, and that I had not been disturbed. After 15 minutes of further discussion, where I pointed out the distress of the other passengers, and the woman sitting next to the drunken gentleman looked visibly scared, when I had left the cabin, I was told that the situation was under control, that the drink was getting no further alcohol, and that it was now me that was causing the problem. Shortly before landing I then moved back to my original seat, and to my amazement witnessed the drunk drinking wine out of a BA provided wine bottle!

Later I sent a note of complaint, where I then received very little sympathy, and no offer of compensation. Two months later I received a survey invite from BA inviting me to comment on their complaints service... which I then did... and again little or no response.

The main complaint is that British Airways the supposed flag ship of the United Kingdom in my opinion has lost its way when compared to its rivals in Europe such as Air France, and KLM. They have no understanding of service quality, and their contemptuous attitude of both their staff, and administrative staff in dealing with customers complaints is deplorable. As a frequent flyer, all air lines will have mishaps from time to time. The true quality of an airline is how their staff handle such mishaps. I suppose I should just be grateful that I wasn't just told "to get over it", as the first class passenger from Delhi to London was told when he complained after staff placed the body of a woman that had died onboard the plane after 3hrs into the flight in March 2007.

Comments

• De
      28th of Jan, 2008

What I cannot accept is the BA's latest call that it not allow one of it's employees to wear a Christian cross around her neck but yet will allow all other forms of religious symbols to be worn by others. Christianity is then being discriminated against. I can't fly an airline like that.

• Ah
      19th of Apr, 2008

please find enclosed an e.mail that i recieved say that B.A. cannot reunite baggage with their owners, surley they have names and addresses on them, i for one would help distribute the luggage back to the rightful owners i live near the airport and there must be lots of people within the area willing to earn mone from this, i can go nationwide if nescerssary

• Da
      26th of Feb, 2011

British Airways is the Bank of America of airlines. They will throw their passengers under the bus to make a profit. fI bought my mother ( 72 years old) a ticket to Egypt for a Christmas present. Our departure is this Spring ( in a matter of days). Because of the recent revolution, I called for a refund. They told me that they had rescheduled their flights so that they could get us into Cairo before the curfew!!! AND THEN WHAT??!!?? No safe transportation, anywhere. Delta airlines has graciously returned the money to travelers to Egypt. I have no doubt those passengers will return to Delta to fly.

A classaction suit chould be inacted against this company that places profits over safety. I'm sure there are more who have suffered at the hands of this complny.
    Stay away from this airline

• Cu
      12th of Mar, 2011

Companies that are willing to place their customers in a danger zone and just leave them, is completely stupid! Are there any humans behind this company? Come on BA step up and do what is best for the customers.

• Co
      2nd of Aug, 2012

I've no doubt that BA do have some good crew members working for them but there will always be those that make them all look bad. It strikes me that it is usually bullies who are promoted in a narcisstic culture where profit comes first and there is no creativity. That is probably why the problem of arrogant, insensitive, unethical, unprofessional and narcisstic crew members still exists. Like promotes like unfortunately. I had a bad experience with crew too but let it go until i had properly digested what had happened. It really was unbelievable but true so wrote to head office to ask them to train their staff, (who well and truely dropped themselves in it) properly.