[Resolved] Booking.com / defamatory review

1 Netherlands Review updated:

a guest had written a defamatory review about hotel staff and booking.com approved it. Staff members have no right to reply on the website

• Resolution statement

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jun 01, 2012

Hi Kevin. We would be happy to discuss this, can you post your hotel name or hotel ID? If not, our Hotels Team would be able to help you.

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Feb 13, 2013

Hi Gaston,

I would like to follow up on this. Could you please post your hotel’s name or hotel ID?
    Our hotels team would be glad to discuss the issue with you.

Kind regards,
    Sergejs

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Mar 15, 2013

Hi Joe!
    I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please post your booking number so our specialized team can investigate this further?

Regards, Mac

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 02, 2013

Hi Justjonesx4,
    I am sorry to learn about your feelings and would like to get to the bottom of it.
    Could you please send me an email to [email protected] with further information regarding the relevant reviews?
    Once I have this information I will contact the corresponding department for further investigation.
    Thanks, Tal

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 03, 2013

Hi Justjonesx4,
    If you want us to follow up on this we need more details. Like my colleague wrote before, you can send it to [email protected] I understand you're unhappy about one review and from my part would like to find out what happened. Once we have this information we can proceed.
    Regards, Mac

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 03, 2013

Hi Justjonesx4,
    Thank you for your email. I will check it out now and we will contact you soon.
    Cheers, Mac

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 06, 2013

Hi Justjonesx4,
    Your e-mail has been received and I have already asked our
    corresponding department to contact you as soon as possible.
    Regards, Sergejs

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Nov 12, 2013

Hello,
    I would like to review this matter with the appropriate department. Can you please send the guests booking number to custom[email protected]?
    Regards, Andrea

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Dec 29, 2013

Hello Stephen,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please provide me with your Hotel ID?

Regi

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jan 11, 2014

Hi There,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. If you would like for me to assist you, I will need for you to provide me with your hotel ID. If you are not comfortable posting it on the forum, please send it to me in a direct message.

Regi

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jan 14, 2014

Thank you Domenica.
    I apologize once again for the inconvenience.
    I will inform the relevant department and my colleague will contact you at the earliest.

Regards, Konstantina

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jan 14, 2014

Hello,

Thank you for your post. Can you please clarify if you need assistance with something as I am here to help? You can also send an email to [email protected] referencing this post and I will follow up.

Regards, Andrea

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jan 16, 2014

Hi again Demi.
    I have contacted you account manager and he informed me that he has sent you an e-mail with some questions so that he can follow up with the issue.
    Please feel free to contact me should you need further assistance.

Regards, Konstantina

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Feb 03, 2014

Hello Demi,

Records indicate you were contacted on January 15th. I'm sorry you didn't receive all of the information you needed. I will once again contact your local hotels department to assist you further. Alternatively, their office is open at this time and their contact information is listed in our shared system, the extranet.

Regards, Kelly

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Mar 03, 2014

Hi Demi,

I'm sorry your issue has not been resolved yet. I have contacted again the hotels team and my colleague will follow up as well. You can alternatively contact your Account Manager yourself. I've sent you a message with all the details.

Regards, Chloe

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Mar 22, 2014

Hello Vorsicht,

I am sorry to hear about this.
    While I understand how a negative review can feel, especially when a hotelier has worked so hard to provide accommodations to many guests, with a variety of expectations. After reading many reviews, and other guests response to a review, it would seem most guests have enough sense to not pay attention to the best, or worst reviews, but only pay attention to those in the middle. I would like to assist you further, can you provide me with your hotel ID number?

Kristen

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Mar 26, 2014

Hi there,
    I have just replied to your private message. This matter has been forwarded to our hotels team and you will be contacted as soon as possible.
    Regards, Tal

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Apr 07, 2014

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the info. I have located your booking and I see my colleague has sent you an email in regards to this case 3 days ago. I have sent you a private message with more info. Feel free to let me know if you have more questions.

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Aug 08, 2014

Hi Leonard,

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. If you would like I can take a look at the guest's review and check to see if I can do anything about it. Please provide me the guest's booking number. Alternatively, you can email it to "[email protected]" while referencing this post.

Brian

Comments

23rd of May, 2012

I too have had the same issue and now its anonymous and we dont even know if its a real guest.
    This is against the rights of the business owners and should be looked into immediately.

• 24
      23rd of May, 2012

It is appalling that Booking.com are allowed to get away with this. They now allow the 'amateur critics' to slate hotels/properties with absolutely no checks as to the truth or validity of the comments. Now that the accusers are allowed to remain anonymous we, as a hotel, have no way of validating and thus acting on genuine complaints so improving the service for guests AND - this is the best bit - they will not even dignify us with the ability to provide a management response! Perhaps Booking.com could learn something from Trip Advisor and Laterooms.com who both provide a better facility to properties. An example, we have recently (6 months) had new, high quality beds put in all our rooms. A recent 'review' said that the bed was 'rickety' 'falling to bits' and 'uncomfortable' - I don't believe that it was this hotel but we do not know 'when' and 'which room'!! How do Booking.com expect us to improve our service? Come on Booking.com - show a little respect for the businesses that are making you millions! Perhaps a compromise - If the guest wants to review anonymously then let the property decide whether it is posted or not?

• Ke
      26th of May, 2012

Booking.com is a nightmare site, it will screw up your business good and proper stay away from it, we have had people stealing, trashing, causing mayhem, smuggling in extra people including prostitutes and when you pull them up about it or charge for the damages they write a complete pack of lies on Bookings.com review site, it takes you down to a point where no one books at all with no right to reply, its a nightmare, they have destroyed my business because of the small minded cyber bullies vandals and thieves that can now say what they like about you on this website without any come back, trip adviser was bad enough but this site is worse, it will screw you up good style, stay away from them, it will cost you your business, you have been warned.

• Ji
      18th of Oct, 2012

Booking. com are becoming more and more arrogant towards hoteliers.
    Reviews from anonymous guests, how are we supposed to improve if we have no idea which room the guest stayed in etc.
    Promoted reviews "supposedly most useful" liked by a handful of visitors but permanently ahead of all other reviews permanently no matter how old, unjust or unfair the review is.
    Email addresses of guest no longer on booking email
    No right of reply to any review no matter how unfair, untrue or exaggerated

• Ga
      6th of Feb, 2013

I have had the same issue, with a person who was very unhappy because her Director got a fine for smoking in the rooms. We nearly had to take her to court, but first got a threat from Booking.com than when she decided it was unreasonable and asked booking.com to alter her comment... booking.com refused!!! I only ask the right to comment on posted reviews and a verification process for people who continuously post bad reviews about all placed they go.

12th of Mar, 2013

What is the point of this blog? Nothing gets discussed. We all see the complaints of hotel owner. Most of them I agree with. Over the last year I must have send at least 50 emails about being overcharged. I sent it to ALL existing booking.com email addresses. Not 1 reply. But again, what is the point of this blog? Booking.com does not discuss anything on it. They just say contact us so the rest can't see how they deal with this. What a joke!

15th of Mar, 2013

That is what I mean.

2nd of Apr, 2013

I run a guesthouse in a Victorian town and am becoming increasingly frustrated at the attitude of booking.com to us the backbone of they're business. Without accommodation providers they have no business, yet having received a defamatory review the 'help' teams are totally dismissive and sometimes actually rude to us when denying us any right of challenge or reply. I have joined the British hospitality association and am seeking their advice regards legal action against a defamatory review as I am fed up with the dismissive attitude I receive from the help team. Tripadvisor at least show the reply from the proprietor or owner now which helps balance the feedback but Booking.com only allow us to reply to the guest direct which I have done, but the guest has failed to answer my queries as to why they said one thing to us at the time of staying yet slated us falsely after. I am now looking to use a variety of other agents and take my substantial business away from Booking.com as they have no care for the accommodation providers. Our rating varies between 9.6 and 9.5 so we are not a shoddy outfit and are ranked 17th out of 139 on Tripadvisor which reflects the truth of our business.

2nd of Apr, 2013

Thanks for your response Tal, but why is it that when We phoned your 'help' team we were told that its the customer prerogative to say anything they like on a review and that its their right and we have to accept that. Yet now that we have complained you suddenly want to have more details?. The reviewer tells the world what they want and you are accountable for the validity of it as you publish it on the World Wide Web. I can prove that at least one statement made by the reviewer is a lie and therefore you have published across the world a lie about myself and my business and have failed to respond to this when I have raised it to you through the procedure you state I should follow. You are therefore accountable for publishing this lie. It is my human right to defend myself against lies and the legal process is there to support me in this. Why should I give you another chance ?

3rd of Apr, 2013

Dear Mac,
    Thank you for your sympathetic and patient response.
    I have sent you the details after your instruction to do so.
    Regards

4th of Apr, 2013

So, as far as Booking.com are concerned it is perfectly acceptable for a guest to blatantly lie as long as they dont name the persons who run it or work in it. False statements are perfectly acceptable. It is worth noting that at no time has anyone from booking.com made contact with me over this to discuss what elements are lies by the reviewer so clearly the attitude of booking.com is that they accept responsibility for promoting false statements on their website.
    I attach without edit the response from booking.com for you to see who they trust.

Dear Hotel Partner,

Thank you for working with Booking.com.

We have sent your email to our reviews team for investigation.

The response we have received back is as follows:

Kindly be informed that this review does not fulfill the condition of Booking.com to be removed. Our
    system of guest reviews is based on the experience of a guest after his stay in one of the property
    we have online.
    In this particular case, the guest did not like the room, the internet service, the heating... ect.
    The guest is only describing his experience and feeling about the hotel. The review is negative however
    it is not discriminatory or does not mentioned any named of personnel working in this establishment.

Additionally, we wish to bring back to mind that the opinions expressed by our mutual guests are just
    that: opinions. We invite guests to share their experiences so that others may potentially benefit from
    them. Just as different individuals perceive the same experiences in different ways, so too will those
    who read of them.

We understand the hotel concern about the review as it indeed expresses strong criticism; however, we
    do not consider it insulting. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to find out the true story behind
    every negative review that we receive. Therefore, we apply the same rules to all our hotel partners
    and unfortunately, we cannot make exceptions.

The average score of this hotel is 9.5 and makes it exceptional, the potential guest visiting the page
    of this establishment never stop after reading only one negative review but will appreciate the global
    score as reading a few reviews in order to make their own decision. Keep in mind that negative comments
    bring balance to the guest reviews system by adding credibility to the positives ones. They can be used as a valuable source of information with regards to the service the hotel provides.

If you have any questions regarding this, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Kind regards,

• Va
      11th of Nov, 2013

Completely agree! We run a guesthouse in France, an we have been very upset by the lack of honesty from certain guests and Booking.com's answer.
    Example: this summer one of our small room was booked. Knowing that another visitor for a much larger room did not came we decided to upgrade our guests for free. Even thought, after leaving this visitor gave us the worst rating in our history with the following comment:
    "Beds really small. No air conditioning No TV or wifi".
    Our announcement gives precisely the size of beds, states precisely that we do not offer air conditioning, the room features a private lounge with TV and wifi works perfectly !
    Our request to the teams Booking was however denied. How to fight against hosts that do not read the description of the place and then complain about what's missing? We really helpless in front of such acts and booking clearly endorse this type of behavior ...

• St
      29th of Dec, 2013

We have received a bad review from a guest who stayed with us for two days. He was booked into a single room and he was upgraded to a double as it was available. At the time of his stay, he did not mention any of the negative points he raised in the review. He mentioned when he was here that the breakfast was superb, and that he was perfectly happy with the service he received and that he had slept well and was comfortable.

His review, however, stated that the room was not clean, which was not true, and that the hotel smells of dogs. We have five stars for food hygiene and cleanliness, so are at a loss to understand how he could have arrived at that conclusion. We have one medium-sized dog, who does not go anywhere near the bedrooms and who swims regularly. Surely, if the hotel were as bad as he stated and such poor value for money, he could have checked out and stayed elsewhere.

As mentioned above, booking.com does not give the right of reply to establishments; this is a major failing.

Stephen

10th of Jan, 2014

I have just had this happen to me and my business. I was harassed by a guest, doorways blocked so I couldn't leave the room then blocked in the kitchen by a ranting abusive guest who is lying on their review, under anonymous but I know who it is. This person is saying I said things I never did, the whole thing is defamation and clearly as the only person running my establishment he is indicating a person ( saw earlier comments saying as long as it doesn't single out a person etc its allowed). I had to tell this guest I would call the police if he didn't leave my kitchen and stop abusing me for his to stop! Now booking.com wont allow me to respond nor will they remove his comments which are blatant lies and the complete opposite to every other comment I get.
    Booking.coms response is to tell me my review rating is high so his comments shouldn't affect business. Not good enough, he is slandering the business and me personally and I should have a right of response or the ability to remove it. Booking.com charge the most of any provider I list with and i have had the most issues technically with regard to cancellations and so forth then any other provider. What am I paying them for?

13th of Jan, 2014

I have sent you a direct message.
    Seems my emails to booking.com are going unactioned and when I phoned I got given an email address to write to about my concerns that bounced back as "no longer a valid email"
    Great customer service on that operators part providing an email that isn't in service.
    Heres hoping something can be done from this as nothing is being done via the calls and emails I am sending
    Regards
    D

14th of Jan, 2014

I too have a problem with this and it is not that the booking.com staff will DISCUSS this with us but take action into this... just let us, hotel buisnessmen, share OUR version of the story. in booking.com. we are telling you already if the bad review were in fact to be true we wouldnt complain about you but with ourselves.

15th of Jan, 2014

I still haven't had anyone contact me regarding this

29th of Jan, 2014

Unbelievable, despite numerous contact on here on messages that i will be contacted NOTHING has been done.
    Very poor service

3rd of Feb, 2014

Still no contact from my Account Manager. It seems people like to put on here that something will be done and the matter looked into but NO ONE actually follows up on it.
    When is this going to be sorted out?

3rd of Feb, 2014

Booking.com post on here with a reply for us to provide our hotelier details and they will look into it, but they DON'T. Numerous times and nothing from them despite their promises.

I am beginning to wonder if they just reply with that to make it look like they will do something, as I for one have had nothing done at al

it might be time for me to remove my listings with them I think