Best Buy - Zenith DVD/vhs Recorder Model Xbr413 / best buy refused to give me credit for the remaining extended warranty!

I purchased a zenith combination dvd/vhs recorder model xbr413 on 7/1/04. I also paid $99.99 for a four year extended warranty.

The unit failed and was returned for repair under the extended warranty on 12/12/06 and again on 1/16/07. (The first time the recorder was returned to me without actually being repaired.

My complaint:
Best buy notified me that they could not repair the recorder and would give me a store credit for the original purchase price of the unit. They refused to give me credit for the remaining extended warranty. The value of this item is not as important as the principal involved.

Best buy's manager on duty at store no. 378, told me he didn't care what I thought was fair since he was following the terms of their written warranty plan.

Best buy's extended warranty policy says that "the plan is fulfilled if the item is replaced with a new one after the manufacturer's warrant expires." in effect, you could buy a five year warranty on a product that has a 30 day guarantee and on the 31st day if it fails beyond repair then best buy will give you your money back for the item and keep the extended warranty purchase price. Since warrnaties run about 20% of the purchase amount, this isn't a bad profit for best buy at all.

Note: circuit city will prorate the warranty under the same circumstances. Also there are better warranties for less money available from other sources online.

Va

Comments

• Al
      15th of Nov, 2009

To add to this old post : If you purchase an extended service contract, and that item is REPLACED, THERE IS NO such thing as a "prorated" warranty refund. It states in all terms in conditions that upon replacement of the unit (at current market value) or issue of a cash reimbursment (at current market value)..the service contract is fufilled.

You can pay $1500 for a TV today, and in a few years, if a comparable unit it valued at $700. You will get either that unit or $700.

I went through this with a computer I paid $900 for at circuit city, I was issued $500 due to current value. Service plan was fulfilled. (after a 3month battle with claims)

The only good part about paying for ESPs is that they cover power surges, manufacturers coverage don't.