Best Buy - Zenith DVD/vhs Recorder Model Xbr413 / best buy refused to give me credit for the remaining extended warranty!
I purchased a zenith combination dvd/vhs recorder model xbr413 on 7/1/04. I also paid $99.99 for a four year extended warranty.
The unit failed and was returned for repair under the extended warranty on 12/12/06 and again on 1/16/07. (The first time the recorder was returned to me without actually being repaired.
Best buy notified me that they could not repair the recorder and would give me a store credit for the original purchase price of the unit. They refused to give me credit for the remaining extended warranty. The value of this item is not as important as the principal involved.
Best buy's manager on duty at store no. 378, told me he didn't care what I thought was fair since he was following the terms of their written warranty plan.
Best buy's extended warranty policy says that "the plan is fulfilled if the item is replaced with a new one after the manufacturer's warrant expires." in effect, you could buy a five year warranty on a product that has a 30 day guarantee and on the 31st day if it fails beyond repair then best buy will give you your money back for the item and keep the extended warranty purchase price. Since warrnaties run about 20% of the purchase amount, this isn't a bad profit for best buy at all.
Note: circuit city will prorate the warranty under the same circumstances. Also there are better warranties for less money available from other sources online.
More Best Buy - Zenith DVD/vhs Recorder Model Xbr413 Complaints & Reviews
- Best Buy - Return Policy - beware of best buy during the christmas holiday! 
- Bestbuy Eyeglasses - eyeglasses 
- Best Buy - unacceptable repair and customer service 
- Best Buy - best buy won't replace or credit a defective product 
- Best Buy Canada - customer service (or lack there of) 
- Best Buy - account services
- Best Buy - refrigerator install
- Best Buy - not delivered
- Best Buy - computer department
- Best Buy - questionable service, or lack of from geek squad